os x 10.1.4 and IE update both software updater only....why???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
since i am on a phone line (surprisingly cable modem coming to the boondocks in july!!! probably won't happen on time though)....i like to download at work where i have a T1 line and put on zip disks and take home...much faster to update software that way....but both the os X 10.1.4 update and IE update or software updater only....so i have to go the dial up phone line route (if i decide to update at all)....why are there no sites or mirror sites or at the apple site where i can get this as a download??? g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Use Software Update on your T1 at work and then check out the new files in the /Library/Recepts/ directory. Copy them over to a zip. Take the zip home. Use the .pkg installers. Restart.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    thanks for the thought and suggestion, but i'm on a nasty windows nt 4.0 machine at work....actually nt 4.0 is not bad, just not as nice as os X....g

maybe i should change my sig line to:

i can use a pc...but i prefer a mac....
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Oh, poop. That certainly is a complication.

Well, both of the updates are fairly small, a couple megs. Nothing too big for dialup.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Also, I used to use Windows on a daily basis at school and I had a PC right next to my Mac on my desk until we moved. Now I don't really know what happened to the PC, heh. But it had it's uses (menial as they might have been). I say all platforms have their advantages and disadvantages.. just some more than others.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Warning! Warning! I hear misinformation being spread! :o

The files in the /Library/Receipts directory do not contain the entire packages. They are, well, receipts left from installing packages. They are there so the installer will know if something has already been installed. If you want to save a package that was downloaded by the update mechanism, you need to select it from the dialog before it closes, and choose "Save as" from the Update menu.

I just had to clear that up.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    You shouldn't have problems using software update for the 10.1.4 update since it's only 2.2 MB, so it shouldn't take too long.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I'm also disapointed that Apple has stopped offering alternatives to using Software Update. SU is awesome, but instances like the one Gelding described demand that a package installer be available for download.

I used to always download updates at work on a T1 and bring them home on ZIPs or burn them onto CDR. But now OS X forces me to download updates overnight, this works fine but it's not an optimal solution.

It seems lately that Apple has been developing OS X with the idea that users will not be using modems....maybe someday this will be true, but I'm willing to bet that the majority of Mac users still connect via modem. But for evidence, look at how sub-par PPP performance is in OS X, and how uncharacteristicly (for Apple) BUGGY it is! Apple didn't even fix the PPP hang bug, some 16 year old Brit did! Clearly Apple is developing OS X with the bare minimum of support for modem connections.

I sent feedback, maybe they will listen.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>I'm also disapointed that Apple has stopped offering alternatives to using Software Update. SU is awesome, but instances like the one Gelding described demand that a package installer be available for download.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

They usually post it on their website, but what sucks is that it's always a while after the update came out.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    thanks for watching my back jyd....

and your right EmAn...they will someday offer it at apple.com, but it really should be available day and date with the software updater...it can't be that hard to have it two places at once....g

even though it is only a 2.2 mb download, i am at 10.1.2.....so i have to download 10.1.3 first, then download 10.1.4....10.1.3 is a 38 mb download and would tie up my line for some time (plus earthlink just changed my dialup number to make my connection better...guess how that is going....yep, never had a problem before, but now the dial up is contantly disconnection or is busy for the first 3 trys)....g
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jgrothjgroth Posts: 4member
    Guys, check it out before you post saying it doesn't exist.

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120114"; target="_blank">http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120114</a>;

Creation date: 04/15/02

The IE update is probably available somewhere too.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    thanks....it didn't come up in a search for downloads at apple for me....and versiontracker said the update was software updater only....glad you found it for me/all of us.....perhaps you can find the IE security patch and the office patch too?? g
  • Reply 12 of 12
    yes, versiontracker has it now too...thanks all, and that was a quick add on by apple...good sign for future upgrades?

<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=8848&db=macosx"; target="_blank">Os X 10.1.4 at Versiontracker</a>