Apple install guide slips out new MacBook, MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post

It is not misleading at all, but quite proper and the common industry term. What rock did you crawl our from under. The chipset is the platform. You can put an AMD processor in an Intel based chipset or a Via Based chipset, etc. It certainly doesn't make it an AMD based platform.

You can crawl back under your rock now...

Personal attack much?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    artseartse Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Personal attack much?

You wouldn't call kaiser_soze post an attack on the author!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Well the file's gone, anyone got a mirror?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    the image looks like it was drawn by a preschooler. what part of the computer is that supposed to look like?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Damn... Apple took the file down... can anyone mirror it, please?

We'd be very grateful if someone could please take the time to upload it to a file sharing sever, perhaps?

Thanks!
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Tell me about it.

Herein lies the fundamental difference between a PC tweaker, OSX86 Mac builder, over clocker versus your my mac nots working what's the difference between memory and hard drive memory (seriously, I worked for Apple once and you would be surprised at how educated the user is (college) yet very computer illiterate as a PC user would have saved this instantly and it would be mirrored everywhere.

I once had a woman when I was doing Creative work when it used to be PRO USERS (now it's all iLife) and had to show her more than 4 times how to attach a document, others didn't know the difference between a mail client (Mac Mail) or checking online let alone they if they had Charter, Earthlink ISP that they could have 10+ emails.

Not sure why, but Mac users tend to be very non technical whereas your average 12 year old PC user can probably run circles around a Mac Genius as they, for the most part, send out the products do get fixed anyway.

LOL.

Just ribbing, but seriously, know one looked at it and saved it, cached it, FTP it somewhere? Geesh.

totally agree with you there...

PC users are more computer smart because windows is harder to work with so the user will learn how to use a computer.

apple makes it to easy for everyone else so they don't learn and think it's smart to take their computer to a so call "Genius" that just tells them your computer needs to get fixed, pay this amount.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msiller View Post

Damn... Apple took the file down... can anyone mirror it, please?

We'd be very grateful if someone could please take the time to upload it to a file sharing sever, perhaps?

Thanks!

Macrumors has a screenshot.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Well the file's gone, anyone got a mirror?

http://mactree.sannet.ne.jp/~kodawar...073-1223-A.pdf
  • Reply 29 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Macrumors has a screenshot.

If this is true, then there are some ideas that need to be discussed.

Why would Apple move back to a removable WiFi card when WiFi has become a necessary staple of all notebook computers?

Could this mean that Apple will be supporting UMTS(HSDPA/HSUPA) for T-Mobile/AT&T or CDMA2000 for Sprint/Verizon but the purchase and installation of mobile cellular data based on individual needs?
  • Reply 30 of 34
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...Could this mean that Apple will be supporting UMTS(HSDPA/HSUPA) for T-Mobile/AT&T or CDMA2000 for Sprint/Verizon but the purchase and installation of mobile cellular data based on individual needs?

Nice catch. You just blew my mind. ... Even in a still-developing country like Malaysia, I can get HSDPA 2.0Mbit/sec when I tether through my iPhone 3G. A built in 3G thingy into the MacBook, just whack in a 3G card, will be big GLOBALLY. Not saying it's going to be there straight away, but if the architecture is geared for better cellular/GSM/3G/4G/whatever integration, going into 2009, might be interesting...
  • Reply 31 of 34
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I didn't realize this was a "computers for dummies" site.

If the Macbooks use an Nvidia chipset, it IS an Nvidia based platform. The most important parts of the computer are supplied by Nvidia. Compared to the chipset, the processor plays only a small part in total reliability and performance of the computer.

At the end of the day, it's a huge marketing win for Nvidia. General terminology practice means that most people will refer to it as "Nvidia-platform" Macs. Intel must not be impressed with Apple right now. There should be an AppleInsider article: "Where did Intel go wrong?" or something suitably sensationalist touting Nvidia will soon make their own CPUs or something.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Apple comes out with new machines every 12 to 18 months, what's the big deal here? I just don't get it.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Apple comes out with new machines every 12 to 18 months, what's the big deal here? I just don't get it.

Apple's histrory shwos that they come out with new machines almost twice a year.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Laptop wireless cards have an antenna that runs from the card itself all the way around the rim of the monitor, so putting the card into the screen would not improve antenna performance.

I'm aware of that. However the card's location imposes practical limits on antenna routing.

Quote:

I don't think that's what this is suggesting anyway, though.

The instruction isn't suggesting anything, it's clearly telling the tech to install the card in the display. This is reconfirmed when it says that "The display assembly does not come with the AirPort card installed."