PPPoE-Problems

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It seems, nobody knows a definitive answer to my question, so I'll try my luck in this thread. Here is the problem:

- I want to connect to the campus WLAN at my university

- This requires a PPPoE-connection between my Airport-card and the university's access points (Ciscos)

- This is sort of like connecting to DSL under OS 9 was which required the use of third-party software

- Under OS X and with the new ABSs it's the ABSs that take care of the PPPoE connection and therefore it must have seemed unnecessary to Apple to implement PPPoE into the Network settings of Airport. ;-(

Maybe you have an idea...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ricrocketricrocket Posts: 142member
    Hi Roland,

I know I've tried to help before (unfortunately to no avail) - but I thought I'd bump the topic up to the top and add a question of my own... If the "oE" part of PPPoE stands for "over Ethernet" - how could this apply to a wireless connection between Airport Card and Base Station which, by definition, does not use the Ethernet port?

:confused:

rr.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    [quote]Originally posted by ricRocket:

<strong>Hi Roland,

I know I've tried to help before (unfortunately to no avail) - but I thought I'd bump the topic up to the top and add a question of my own... If the "oE" part of PPPoE stands for "over Ethernet" - how could this apply to a wireless connection between Airport Card and Base Station which, by definition, does not use the Ethernet port?

:confused:

rr.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, simply put, Airport is wireless ethernet. It just uses a different medium of transport: radio frequenzies instead of wires. Take a look at the System Profiler.