Wal-Mart next to carry Apple's iPhone - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

This is the childishest comeback I've heard all week. Anyway, if the Taliban did buy iPhones, then we can find out their hiding place and listen to what they're saying.

Mine may or may not have been childish but yours is just plain stupid.
  • Reply 82 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IamtheGTIguy View Post

and P.S.

For those who have no knowledge of American history before the 1930's. for literally a century America was the home of cheap labor. It came in two forms:

1) Slaves.

2) (later on) Underpaid factory workers...

Yes but the North abandoned slaves and the Union jumped in making workers and employers a lot happier, remember?

Always adopting extreme measures is bad for business and society. There are many middle-ground options that can be considered.

I feel our government has become too bureaucratic and illogical, they are always executing extreme plans that have extreme and negative consequences.
  • Reply 83 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Mine may or may not have been childish but yours is just plain stupid.

Heeey! take it easy I was only joking.

Besides don't you think phone companies can eavesdrop on a phone conversation?
  • Reply 84 of 113
    Quote:

I think there is a middle-ground, something like taxing some of the imports and services to offset the price differences, then re-investing the taxes back in markets where the US has some difficulties competing.

I already lost a bid to India, my bid $1,400, India's bid $270.

I don't live in India so I can never justify spending 20 hours for $270. I don't know... maybe in two years I could

See it's not that simple, for two reasons.

1) Economically, this is wrought with problems, and ultimately ends up hurting our companies even more (as other nations impost countervailing terrifs that make our products actually cost MORE than they would otherwise)

2) More importantly, this is illegal. As a member to the WTO, the United States and the other 171 countries have all agreed to not undertake these types of measures (for the reasoning in #1. Countries end up in tarrif wars.).

So, you ask, why not just say "to hell" with the WTO?

Because if we withdraw, we lose more than we gain. We import more than we export.
  • Reply 85 of 113
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris Cuilla View Post

In the mean time, those who are choosing to shop there will now have iPhones to buy there if they want.

???

No, you CANNOT buy an iPhone there! I FORBID IT!

"Lighten up Francis"
  • Reply 86 of 113
    Quote:

Yes but the North abandoned slaves and the Union jumped in making workers and employers a lot happier, remember?

Always adopting extreme measures is bad for business and society. There are many middle-ground options that can be considered.

I feel our government has become too bureaucratic and illogical, they are always executing extreme plans that have extreme and negative consequences.

I mean on one hand you're right, but on the other hand Unions shoulder a very large portion of the blame for raising many Americans' wages so high above market rate that it becomes necessary to outsource in the first place.

What you've said is neither here nor there. The simple fact (at least what I was trying to convey) is that "outsourcing" is a natural part of market growth. It always has been, and it always will be. It derives from an economic concept known as comparative advantage.

Placing the blame on Wal-Mart for destroying midwestern cities and causing "outsourcing" misses the point entirely. If Wal-Mart didn't do it, someone else would have. THere was a market for what Wal-Mart is doing, and Wal-Mart happened to be the fastest and smartest player in the market to snatch up the opportunity.

That's not to say I don't have some qualms with some of Wal-Mart's business practices, but for the most part, most of the hippies that will go on and on about how Wal-Mart is destroying America have no idea what they are talking about.
  • Reply 87 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

NO-

Ship a crate to Osama and let him sell iPhones to the Taliban from his cave. I'm sure they would appreciate your philosophy.

That's a neat trick you pulled there. You just implied that Wal-Mart and/or Piggly Wiggly are the same thing as Osama bin Laden and Wal-Mart's customers are the same thing as the Taliban.

Furthermore, why should I care about selling cell phones to them? Maybe if we engaged our enemies in friendly commerce they'd be less likely to want to kill us. It's not like selling bombs or guns or something.
  • Reply 88 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

???

No, you CANNOT buy an iPhone there! I FORBID IT!

"Lighten up Francis"

I'm actually not uptight about anything. It's the anti-Walmart folks that are in a dander over Apple lowering itself to sell its product through that evil company.

• Reply 89 of 113
    I'm not opposed to Apple selling in Walmart/Wal-Mart/Wal*Mart.
  • Reply 90 of 113
    Quote:

I'm not opposed to Apple selling in Walmart/Wal-Mart/Wal*Mart.

OK. Your posts might lead someone to believe otherwise.
  • Reply 91 of 113
    Hell, getting away from the "outsourcing" thing, I can honestly say that I'm shocked Apple would sell the iPhone at Wal Mart.

In years past, Apple has been particularly protective of their premium image. Say what you will about Wal-Mart, but they are certainly not "premium."

On the other hand, Apple is (for the first time in its history) getting serious about pricing their products competitively. With $200 iPhones, $60 iPod Shuffles, $900 Macbooks, Apple (I believe) is finally giving up huge profit margins in exchange for market penetration. I think it's a smart move. For the first time in PC history, Apple finally is perceived by the population of the world as making a superior Operating System than Microsoft.

I think they are trying a "strike while the iron is hot" strategy of selling as many computers and phones as they can now, and worrying about long-term profitability later.

Personally, I won't buy an Apple until I can legally build one myself. But that doesn't stop me from admiring Apple as a company.
  • Reply 92 of 113
    Quote:

Apple is (for the first time in its history) getting serious about pricing their products competitively.

I actually think they've been more serious about it for a few years than a lot people either realize or want to admit. The iPod is a great example. They may not always (they do sometimes) lower the dollar prices, but they keep adding new features, functionality and capacity. This is effectively the same thing as lowering prices.

Quote:

I think it's a smart move.

I do too. Many people have become very successful by making products more affordable for more people.

Quote:

I think they are trying a "strike while the iron is hot" strategy of selling as many computers and phones as they can now, and worrying about long-term profitability later.

I think they can be (and are) profitable now and long-term and sell affordable products.

Their tendencies are seen in their constant redesigning of their products finding ways to make them smaller, thinner, lighter, more functional and, yes, cheaper all at the same time.

I just bought a new iPod touch for the same price I paid for a 20GB iPod 4 years ago. It's not even in the same league. And the "equivalent" to the original iPod (maybe the low-end nano is as close as you can get now) is $149, color screen, video, thinner, lighter AND more capacity.

Now they are trying to widen their distribution and retailing footprint. This is smart business.
  • Reply 93 of 113
    Quote:

Placing the blame on Wal-Mart for destroying midwestern cities and causing "outsourcing" misses the point entirely. If Wal-Mart didn't do it, someone else would have. THere was a market for what Wal-Mart is doing, and Wal-Mart happened to be the fastest and smartest player in the market to snatch up the opportunity.

That's not to say I don't have some qualms with some of Wal-Mart's business practices, but for the most part, most of the hippies that will go on and on about how Wal-Mart is destroying America have no idea what they are talking about.

The problem with WalMart is not the outsourcing, it is the illegal business practices that take place by manipulating the local city members, such as redirecting local school funds to building a WalMart, or investing the city's money to provide land and parking lots for WalMart giving them an advantage over other local businesses. You should watch the WalMart documentary, it will show you their evil side and practices. There are many other reasons, you'll be shocked to learn.
  • Reply 94 of 113
    Quote:

The problem with WalMart is not the outsourcing, it is the illegal business practices that take place by manipulating the local city members, such as redirecting local school funds to building a WalMart, or investing the city's money to provide land and parking lots for WalMart giving them an advantage over other local businesses. You should watch the WalMart documentary, it will show you their evil side and practices. There are many other reasons, you'll be shocked to learn.

I have. I've actually seen two documentaries about Wal-Mart. Some of it is interesting, but most of it is heavily spun garbage that makes little sense.

For example, very few of Wal-Mart's business practices have ever been found to be illegal. What's more, any time any company negotiates any funds from a local government, it necessarily reduces funds available for local schools.

Finally, thought these actions may be morally questionable, consider that Wal-Mart is (I believe) the biggest employer in the USA. Any company with THAT may agents will invariably engage in transactions that are borderline ethical.

I'm not defending Wal-Mart per se, but I am frankly astonished how many people just assume these documentaries are 100% accurate and are presented in a 100% unbiased light.
  • Reply 95 of 113
    Quote:

The problem with WalMart is not the outsourcing, it is the illegal business practices that take place by manipulating the local city members, such as redirecting local school funds to building a WalMart, or investing the city's money to provide land and parking lots for WalMart giving them an advantage over other local businesses.

I agree that these things are definitely wrong. But let's take a step back. The city officials can say "no". I place the blame on the city officials not Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart can ask, prod, beg, or "threaten", but city officials can still say "no".
  • Reply 96 of 113
    Didja notice one of the ads at the bottom of this page?

Quote:

Outsource To India

Cost savings of 50%! Accounting & Financial Analysis Outsourcing.

• Reply 97 of 113
    Quote:

Didja notice one of the ads at the bottom of this page?

What is the problem with it? Saving money? The fact that it's India? Both?
  • Reply 98 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris Cuilla View Post

What is the problem with it? Saving money? The fact that it's India? Both?

Moving jobs out of the country.
  • Reply 99 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That is easily resolved if enough Americans are willing to do the same job for the same pay as Indians.
  • Reply 100 of 113
    Quote:

But this is an arbitrary distinction over a relatively arbitrary line on a map.

Tell me, are you equally concerned about moving jobs out of your state? Your city? Your neighborhood? Your house?

Do you do everything for yourself or do you trade with others because it is more cost effective for you to do so?

The thing many people don't realize is that trade makes everyone better off and isolationism makes everyone worse off. The fact that sometimes that trade occurs across national borders is really irrelevant and meaningless. It's an arbitrary line that some have decided we shouldn't cross.