Apple makes October 14th MacBook event official

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soulcrux View Post

Im going to be a first-time Mac buyer with these new releases and I was wondering, how long does it usually take apple to begin shipping after announcing their products?

oops, didn't see post above mine... :P
  • Reply 142 of 160
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soulcrux View Post

oops, didn't see post above mine... :P

Wasn't there a rumor a few weeks ago that some stores were already receiving shipments of the new MacBooks?

It doesn't matter. There isn't going to be a new mini. I'm going to go cry in the corner now. :'(
  • Reply 143 of 160
    Okay, I have decided to make the jump to Mac by purchasing a MacBook Pro. I have been researching the different options for about a month now and had decided on the middle-priced MBP. Now, this! I should have my money within a week or so. After Tuesday, how long will it take before the new product is being shipped? Is it even a good idea to buy a new, untested product if one is announced? I don't spend this much money often. Our existing laptop is 4 years old and still works fine, but my husband uses it now and I want to go back to Mac (my first computer was a Mac Classic). Anyway, now I don't know what to do! I guess I'm at least waiting until Tuesday, but then what?
  • Reply 144 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladytonya View Post

Okay, I have decided to make the jump to Mac by purchasing a MacBook Pro. I have been researching the different options for about a month now and had decided on the middle-priced MBP. Now, this! I should have my money within a week or so. After Tuesday, how long will it take before the new product is being shipped? Is it even a good idea to buy a new, untested product if one is announced? I don't spend this much money often. Our existing laptop is 4 years old and still works fine, but my husband uses it now and I want to go back to Mac (my first computer was a Mac Classic). Anyway, now I don't know what to do! I guess I'm at least waiting until Tuesday, but then what?

Wait until Tuesday and then get the new model, unless you want to save some money and buy the current models at discounted prices (after Tuesday).
  • Reply 145 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

In addition to what Corey stated, buying a brand new device, especially one that has major revisions is always most likely to have more issues than a tried-and-true design. You still get the same warranty options so you that decision is entirely up to you.
  • Reply 146 of 160
    Thanks, guys! I was planning on buying the 3-year AppleCare anyway so I guess any bugs would be covered. I can't wait to see what they come out with!

On another note, my main reason for buying the MBP is screen size. The only things I really do are use Office (I'll have to get Office for Mac because all my assignments have to be subitted online in .doc format) and mess around online. I'm not really into gaming or anything else that requires super-fast processing speeds. I just wanted the middle-speed (2.5 gHz) because it didn't really cost that much more. I've actually considered cutting it back to the 2.4 gHz and I keep going back and forth on that one. I guess I'll just have to wait until Tuesday to see what happens. I won't have my money by Tuesday anyway so I won't be ordering that day. I'm waiting on husband's financial aid that included a computer stipend. He already has a laptop he likes, so I'm finally getting my own! Since it's being paid for, money is really no object, but I would like to have a little left to buy some other things. Of course, if the price point gets lowered on Tuesday, I'll be even happier! Okay, I'm going to stop rambling and go to bed! I've waited 10 years to go back to Mac after stupidly making the transition to PC, what's another few days, right?
  • Reply 147 of 160
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In addition to what Corey stated, buying a brand new device, especially one that has major revisions is always most likely to have more issues than a tried-and-true design.

Yes, this is true. However, there are cases where everything goes just fine. Like my 5.5 years old PB 12" which had zero issues in its life. Glad I did not buy the grossly overpriced (in Europe at least) Apple Care.
  • Reply 148 of 160
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

On another note, my main reason for buying the MBP is screen size. The only things I really do are use Office (I'll have to get Office for Mac because all my assignments have to be subitted online in .doc format) and mess around online.

If you are going to use Office and you still have your Windows + Office license from your PC, you are much better off if you use a virtualization program like VMware Fusion or Parellels desktop to run a full fledged virtual Windows machine on your MBP (it could be a precise copy of your PC), than buying the Mac version of the Office software!
  • Reply 149 of 160
    Damn you international dateline! We here down under have to wait an extra day. So would those in Europe, Russia, New Zealand those islands in the pacific and anyone else this side of the dateline.

I'm selling next weeks lotto numbers if anyone from the US is interested.
  • Reply 150 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ninja_Monkey View Post

Damn you international dateline! We here down under have to wait an extra day. So would those in Europe, Russia, New Zealand those islands in the pacific and anyone else this side of the dateline.:

I am I reading your post correctly? If all times are equal, then New Zealand would be getting new products first, just the iPhone release which was sold about 18 hours before the customers in Cupertino, FL.

On second thought. as of this posting, it's 5:00am on Monday 13-OCT-2007, but it's 1:00am on 14-OCT-2007.

Unless, of course, if you mean you have to wait until Wednesday at 6am to start watcing the presentation that started at 10am om Tuesday, then I can see how that would be an pain.
  • Reply 151 of 160
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    You can buy the new MacBook Pro 15" or MacBook 15" , the lower end model , when it is announced. Just make sure you get the 3 year AppleCare (it *will* save your ass at least a few times), and you should get 4GB of RAM.

Quote:

Thanks, guys! I was planning on buying the 3-year AppleCare anyway so I guess any bugs would be covered. I can't wait to see what they come out with!

On another note, my main reason for buying the MBP is screen size. The only things I really do are use Office (I'll have to get Office for Mac because all my assignments have to be subitted online in .doc format) and mess around online. I'm not really into gaming or anything else that requires super-fast processing speeds. I just wanted the middle-speed (2.5 gHz) because it didn't really cost that much more. I've actually considered cutting it back to the 2.4 gHz and I keep going back and forth on that one. I guess I'll just have to wait until Tuesday to see what happens. I won't have my money by Tuesday anyway so I won't be ordering that day. I'm waiting on husband's financial aid that included a computer stipend. He already has a laptop he likes, so I'm finally getting my own! Since it's being paid for, money is really no object, but I would like to have a little left to buy some other things. Of course, if the price point gets lowered on Tuesday, I'll be even happier! Okay, I'm going to stop rambling and go to bed! I've waited 10 years to go back to Mac after stupidly making the transition to PC, what's another few days, right?

• Reply 152 of 160
    Quote:

I am I reading your post correctly? If all times are equal, then New Zealand would be getting new products first, just the iPhone release which was sold about 18 hours before the customers in Cupertino, FL.

On second thought. as of this posting, it's 5:00am on Monday 13-OCT-2007, but it's 1:00am on 14-OCT-2007.

Unless, of course, if you mean you have to wait until Wednesday at 6am to start watcing the presentation that started at 10am om Tuesday, then I can see how that would be an pain.

Yeah. He means the latter. We have to wait until Wednesday for the announcement.

Actually, it doesn't matter, because the length of time between the now and the presentation is THE SAME no matter what time zone you're in LOL. Just an inconvenient time for us in Asia-Pacific. Ah well, I'll find out my time (early Wednesday morning Beijing-Perth timezone) when I go to work on Wednesday morning. First day of a new Apple-related job too!!!
  • Reply 153 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

If you are going to use Office and you still have your Windows + Office license from your PC, you are much better off if you use a virtualization program like VMware Fusion or Parellels desktop to run a full fledged virtual Windows machine on your MBP (it could be a precise copy of your PC), than buying the Mac version of the Office software!

Parallels and VMWare are very good, but I'd recommend a native Office version. If you have other Windows programs you must run, then it's worth considering though.

Integration is the main reason - a single platform works more smoothly. If you used Outlook in Parallels then it won't integrate with Mac programs the same way Mail.app does, for example. If there's a problem networking or printing from Parallels then it's more difficult to troubleshoot than a straight Mac program (you need to be competent at troubleshooting Mac, Windows, & Parallels - instead of just the Mac).

(for example, version 2 of parallels attaches your Windows network to EITHER the airport or ethernet card, so if you change how you network in different locations it doesn't connect seamlessly. Perhaps version 3 fixed that.)
  • Reply 154 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Parallels and VMWare are very good, but I'd recommend a native Office version. If you have other Windows programs you must run, then it's worth considering though.

Integration is the main reason - a single platform works more smoothly. If you used Outlook in Parallels then it won't integrate with Mac programs the same way Mail.app does, for example. If there's a problem networking or printing from Parallels then it's more difficult to troubleshoot than a straight Mac program (you need to be competent at troubleshooting Mac, Windows, & Parallels - instead of just the Mac).

(for example, version 2 of parallels attaches your Windows network to EITHER the airport or ethernet card, so if you change how you network in different locations it doesn't connect seamlessly. Perhaps version 3 fixed that.)

Yeah, it's having to deal with a whole *install* of Windows which is prone to corruption, viruses, etc. that makes it not so worth it if you just want Office. The original poster above can get the Home & Student edition.

Better still, just use iWork'08 and blow everyone away with how awesome your assignments look and feel. Ah, that professional, shiny PDF that comes out when you use iWork'08. Magnifique, as they say... I think.
  • Reply 155 of 160
    how is it that the 3 yr apple care plan could save your ass when buying these new laptops?
  • Reply 156 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcl116 View Post

how is it that the 3 yr apple care plan could save your ass when buying these new laptops?

If, within the 36 months you or another person has the machine, you will be covered if something goes bad.
  • Reply 157 of 160
    Quote:

The last one. Waiting until Wednesday.
  • Reply 158 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ninja_Monkey View Post

The last one. Waiting until Wednesday.

Off Topic...

I'm taking a world cruise later this year and could have sworn it was stopping at both Newcastle & Sydney. Either they changed the itinerary or I'm losing my mind.

PS: Even if they did change the schedule, that does preclude me from still not losing my mind.
  • Reply 159 of 160
    color macbooks....mmmmm
  • Reply 160 of 160
    PB, luckily I don't have to pay for Office for Mac, I can download it for free from the IT department at my school like I did with Office for PC on my new computer. It rocks because the last version of Office that i had purchased didn't have PowerPoint. As far as the AppleCare goes, I was planning on purchasing that anyway. I have never bought an extended warranty for a computer, but I usually replace my PC's before it is an issue. Well, except for right now. The desktop my husband uses is 5 years old and the laptop is 4. As much as I'm paying for this Mac, I want to be SURE it lasts for a very very long time! The chances of me getting another one anytime in the near future are slim, and my next computer purchase would be a desktop to replace the old Dell anyway. Guess I just have to wait until tomorrow to see what the announcement brings and then I can make my final decision!