Unconfirmed: MacBook Air preview, 17-inch delay, no Blu-ray

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In the days and hours leading up to Apple's product announcements, AppleInsider typically receives and influx of last minute tips from new sources for which there is little time for confirmation. Historically, we've refrained from publishing these rumors in order to maintain focus on information that we believe is most accurate.

However, the recent launch of our Backpage blogs affords us with a forum to present some of the more sound but unconfirmed tips solely for the sake of reader discussion. Again, AppleInsider cannot vouch for the accuracy of these reports and recommends that readers treat them rumors that may pan out, but may also prove to be incredibly inaccurate. With that said, here's some of the latest rumblings.

17-inch MacBook Pro

One person claims that new 13-inch MacBooks and 15-inch MacBook Pros will both see an introduction Tuesday with new NVIDIA graphics chipsets. A new 17-inch MacBook Pro would not accompany these new models, that person adds, and would instead arrive several months later.

Possibly supporting this unconfirmed tip is the fact that casing designs for both the 13-inch MacBook and 15-inch MacBook Pro are believed to have been leaked on the Web, while no 17-inch MacBook Pro casing has been sighted.

Apple has also passed over 17-inch notebook updates in the past. Specifically, the company introduced the first 15-inch MacBook at Macworld in January of 2006 but didn't get around to introducing its 17-inch cousin until late April.

MacBook Air

Another tip suggests that Apple may use Tuesday's event to announce word of MacBook Air speed bumps that wouldn't be available for purchase for some time.

While the logic behind such a rumor is suspect, PC Perspectives Ryan Shrout has received a similar report, which AppleInsider has confirmed to have come from an independent source. Shrout's source said the new Air wouldn't be available till January.

No Blu-ray drives

Finally, yet another tip suggests that neither the 13-inch MacBook nor the 15-inch MacBook Pro will be receiving Blu-ray drives, as was recently rumored by Digg founder Kevin Rose.

There are a few reasons this rumor could prove accurate, namely that Rose -- the lone source of the Blu-ray rumor -- recently described his source of the information as "Bad." Additionally, Blu-ray drives would presumably add costs to the price of the MacBook and MacBook Pro at a time when Apple is expected to be working to reduce the cost of its notebooks.

DisplayPort

Finally, a couple of tipsters have suggested the new MacBook Pro may include a DisplayPort, which is a new license-free, royalty-free, digital audio/video interconnect, intended to be used primarily between a computer and its display monitor, or a computer and a home-theater system.

There had been no evidence to support this rumor until MacBidouille published a tip Monday saying that Apple has asked Longwell to develop a mini DVI to DVI adapter, as well as a mini DisplayPort connector. The latter is "tagged as being in production and shipping," according to the report.

Again, AppleInsider stresses the unconfirmed nature of these reports, which it is publishing solely for reader discussion. Reports of higher conviction have been highlighted on our main page for months, and were recently aggregated in links at the end of this article.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Well... Thinking there will be BD's on apple notebooks it's just pure fantasy... totaly NOT apple's way. No surprises there.

No 17-inch Notebook? It wouldn't be the first time to omit them...

I don't know about the Air.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Well. if you ever tried to put a BD drive into a MB Pro, you would have realized that the drives would not fit in the cases of anything smaller than a 17" MB PRO. So, a new case design for 13" and 15" MBP pros (while no change for the 17" MB Pro) sounds an awful lot like BD drives are coming and the case on the 14 and 15 inch MB Pro is being redesigned.

to fit them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In the days and hours leading up to Apple's product announcements, AppleInsider typically receives and influx of last minute tips from new sources for which there is little time for confirmation. Historically, we've refrained from publishing these rumors in order to maintain focus on information that we believe is most accurate.

However, the recent launch of our Backpage blogs affords us with a forum to present some of the more sound but unconfirmed tips solely for the sake of reader discussion. Again, AppleInsider cannot vouch for the accuracy of these reports and recommends that readers treat them rumors that may pan out, but may also prove to be incredibly inaccurate. With that said, here's some of the latest rumblings.

17-inch MacBook Pro

One person claims that new 13-inch MacBooks and 15-inch MacBook Pros will both see an introduction Tuesday with new NVIDIA graphics chipsets. A new 17-inch MacBook Pro would not accompany these new models, that person adds, and would instead arrive several months later.

Possibly supporting this unconfirmed tip is the fact that casing designs for both the 13-inch MacBook and 15-inch MacBook Pro are believed to have been leaked on the Web, while no 17-inch MacBook Pro casing has been sighted.

Apple has also passed over 17-inch notebook updates in the past. Specifically, the company introduced the first 15-inch MacBook at Macworld in January of 2006 but didn't get around to introducing its 17-inch cousin until late April.

MacBook Air

Another tip suggests that Apple may use Tuesday's event to announce word of MacBook Air speed bumps that wouldn't be available for purchase for some time.

While the logic behind such a rumor is suspect, PC Perspectives Ryan Shrout has received a similar report, which AppleInsider has confirmed to have come from an independent source. Shrout's source said the new Air wouldn't be available till January.

No Blu-ray drives

Finally, yet another tip suggests that neither the 13-inch MacBook nor the 15-inch MacBook Pro will be receiving Blu-ray drives, as was recently rumored by Digg founder Kevin Rose.

There are a few reasons this rumor could prove accurate, namely that Rose -- the lone source of the Blu-ray rumor -- recently described his source of the information as "Bad." Additionally, Blu-ray drives would presumably add costs to the price of the MacBook and MacBook Pro at a time when Apple is expected to be working to reduce the cost of its notebooks.

DisplayPort

Finally, a couple of tipsters have suggested the new MacBook Pro may include a DisplayPort, which is a new license-free, royalty-free, digital audio/video interconnect, intended to be used primarily between a computer and its display monitor, or a computer and a home-theater system.

There had been no evidence to support this rumor until MacBidouille published a tip Monday saying that Apple has asked Longwell to develop a mini DVI to DVI adapter, as well as a mini DisplayPort connector. The latter is "tagged as being in production and shipping," according to the report.

Again, AppleInsider stresses the unconfirmed nature of these reports, which it is publishing solely for reader discussion. Reports of higher conviction have been highlighted on our main page for months, and were recently aggregated in links at the end of this article.

• Reply 3 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    As I posted in another thread, I suspected that the 17-inch might not get updated this time around.

That is the worst possible news for me, because I have held off for what seems like AGES so that I could make an educated purchasing decision about a hi-res 17-inch MBP. If the 17-incher isn't updated this time around, I now have to choose between buying a full price laptop that is clearly outdated, or waiting even longer on the new machine to appear.

I could have bought the old style laptop six months ago...

...lets hope that Apple does update the 17-inch tomorrow...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Why no blu-ray?

• Reply 5 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

As I posted in another thread, I suspected that the 17-inch might not get updated this time around.

That is the worst possible news for me, because I have held off for what seems like AGES so that I could make an educated purchasing decision about a hi-res 17-inch MBP. If the 17-incher isn't updated this time around, I now have to choose between buying a full price laptop that is clearly outdated, or waiting even longer on the new machine to appear.

I could have bought the old style laptop six months ago...

...lets hope that Apple does update the 17-inch tomorrow...

If not tomorrow it will be soon.

Actually if I were you I'd be hapy if it isn't updated tomorrow. It may mean it'll get a BD drive. Even if you don't use BD, that ought to help that model maintain a high resale value later on down the road.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Let me re-state some premises:

1. apple would not do anything to jeopardize the MBP business - that significantly adds to their BL

2. apple would not do anything to compromise the iPhone device - significantly undermines their mobile platform strategy.

3. apple would not do anything to jeopardize the cost benefit of the macbook.

now my guesses:

1. The iPhone will continue to rule the mobile device domain - there will be no iTablet of sorts.

2. The MBA would become a 10" device - since that is a lot more portable.

3. The MB would be a 12 - 13" device - aluminum it looks like this time around.

4. The MBP 15" would continue to plod along. Most likely to have HDMI or DisplayPort and not much else.

5. The MBP 17" might get BDR support

6. iLife to support HD and BR

7. QT to support HD 1080p

8. Does anyone think there may be a docking solution as well ? Since the ports seem concentrated on one side, it may be that Apple is thinking of providing atleast options for third party docks - the earlier ones from bookends were abysmal - not about the quality - but about the arrangement.

Well ... the above guesses also include some ideas taken from others in the forum as well. Due credit to those