FileMaker ready to unleash Bento 2

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
FileMaker as early as Tuesday is expected to announce Bento 2, the first major update to its template-based database application that offers integration with Apple's Address Book and iCal applications.

While details remain few and far between, some new features in 2.0 are expected to include:

Can now save templates and share with others

Allows you to import photo, text and Address Book entries

Integration with Mail

Import/export to and from Excel and Numbers

Links 'directly' to files on the Mac

Bento 2 is expected to retail for around $50. AppleInsider published an in-depth first-look at Bento 1.0 shortly after its release in January.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Ahhh the app that "should have been included in iWork"

Hopefully version 2.0 will have some features worth me cashing out for.

We'll see....at times its functionality seems a bit superfluous.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Do Apple own bento?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Do Apple own bento?

Yes as Filemaker is a wholly owned subsidary of Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Ahhh the app that "should have been included in iWork"

Hopefully version 2.0 will have some features worth me cashing out for.

We'll see....at times its functionality seems a bit superfluous.

Yeah I have to agree with you on this one.

I bought Bento 1.0 when it came out. And while I like the app, it is a bit light on features and utility and would fit nicely in the iWork suite.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Yeah would be nice to be able to export to the web (with images) but seeing as how FileMaker cannot even do that I doubt Bento 2 will.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I hope they address the issue of not being able to search lists. They give you the ability to have several emails under one list of emails. It saves lots of space and makes data entry very easy. The problem is, you can't search anything you place in there. That's just silly.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Yep. Here's the release.

Can I use this to build a Mac version of ACT yet?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Nice update.

They've addressed some features that I noticed where missing when I dabbled with the program. Editing multiple accounts is easy like a spreadsheet. Searching is there as well as the easy moving of columns. Drag and drop is beefed up.

Sold.

Though I still think the family pack is quite strange since this database cannot be shared. I guess it's jut the "buy in bulk and save" mentality here LOL.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I think the lack of an upgrade path and no price break for those wishing to upgrade may be problematic.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Is there any other app besides Bento that can access the iCal and Mail data stores? I was playing with this demo today, and it is good at that. I was looking at building custom reports of the calendar and tasks. Unfortunately it doesn't do real well at reporting.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Bento is improving, but still lacks a few things Mac users want.

An iPhone/touch based app is at the top of my list. Just as important I would like to automatically sync it through mobile me. (Actually I would love to see Apple add auto syncs for more of their apps.)

I also believe that they need to include upgrade pricing. Until iPhone support is delivered I'm not motivated to buy.

I buy the Family Pack simply because there are 5 Macs in the family. You need to register each computer and are provided with 5 keys - a lot more control than OS X has.

Overall I like Bento and believe it will mature a lot over the next few years. I just hope the their marketing department gets aggressive on upgrade pricing. A really good price and I stay up to date.