Somthing i noticed....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have noticed lately that os x has been slowing to a crawl on my 867 G4. I know it wasnt this slow when i first installed 10.1, and when i had to log in as root the other day, i was shocked at how fast the root account seemed compared to mine. i clicked the system prefs. in the dock and it barely bounced once and it was open. when i do that in my normal account, it takes around 10 bouces sometimes. has anyone else come accross this? is there any way to fix it so it will be "normal" again?? does it just sort of happen after a lot of use? if so, is there any way to prevent it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    The same thing happened in 10.0.x and I still haven't figured out why. It seems that accounts build up some kind of kludge over long periods of use. If you create a new account, it'll likely be "snappy" too.

There was a misunderstanding some time ago where people thought they should use root because it was faster, but they were actually just encountering this strange phenomena, not realizing that they'd get the same speed boosts with another "unused" user.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    so just create a new user and transfer my stuff to that?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Yup, that's worked for me before. Just remember to set your permissions accordingly on whatever you move.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by ThunderPoit:

<strong>so just create a new user and transfer my stuff to that?</strong><hr></blockquote>Well that really is VERY impressive having to do that with a "modern" OS. I mean is X still in beta, or what? Sheesh . . .

- T.I.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Can't promise this will help but go to version tracker for OS X and get MacJanitor. OS X runs some housekeeping scripts on a regular basis (daily, weekly, monthly) late at night. Most of us probably either turn off or put our computers to sleep at night. MacJanitor simply invokes those same scripts when you run it. I don't understand what it does but from the dialog that it generates I imagine that temporary files are purged, maybe some directories are rebuilt, etc.

I mentioned a similar thing to one of the Apple guys (in the help booths) at MWSF. They suggested clearing PRAM and rebuilding the desktop in OS 9.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    MacJanitor <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10491&db=mac"; target="_blank">http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10491&db=mac</a>;

"Freeware utility to run the system's daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance scripts. Execellent for laptop users and others who shut their Macs off at night.

These scripts are normally run between 3am and 5am, and will not be run if you shut off your Mac at night. This will allow log files to grow very large, and prevent system databases from getting backed up.

With MacJanitor, you can run these scripts 'by hand' periodically without having to use the Terminal to keep your Mac OS X machine in top racing form."

Well, all 25 reviewers on V/T give it ***** .

Thanks for the suggestion, neutrino23.

- T.I.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    I had no idea about any of this! Thanks for the heads up - I downloaded MacJanitor and will run it once per week. When I ran it, it only took a minute so I am assuming OS X did this on it's own when my Mac was left on very late the other night. I have a question though, why would anyone want to keep their Mac powered on all the time? If it's not being used as a server, isn't that additional wear on the system that is not needed?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Anyone know how to do this via the term? I love messing with Unix...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    sfvcpzsfvcpz Posts: 17member
    to run them manually in the terminal

sudo sh /etc/daily

sudo sh /etc/weekly

sudo sh /etc/monthly
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Even before I started running servers, I left my computer on all the time... you never have to wait for it to boot, you can do more seti@home blocks and it was cool to have huge uptimes!

As for wear on the system, the fan might spin a little more (unless you have an iMac with no fan) but the HD goes to sleep and all other solidstate components don't really have 'wear'. I mean, have you ever heard someone say, 'boy, that computer was a server before, so I shouldn't get it because it's worn'?