New photo reveals MacBook Pro, new display also possible

Comments

• Reply 61 of 159
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    MB382LL/A $899.00 (K29) (could be the display)

MB466LL/A $1,299.00 (M97) (could be MacBook)

MB467LL/A $1,599.00 (M97) (could be MacBook)

MB543LL/A $1,799.00 (M96) (could be MacBook Air)

MB940LL/A $2,499.00 (M96) (could be MacBook Air)

MB470LL/A $1,999.00 (M98) (could be 15-inch MacBook Pro)

MB471LL/A $2,499.00 (M98) (could be 15-inch MacBook Pro)

MB766LL/A $2,799.00 (M88) (could be 15- or 17-inch MacBook Pro)

------------------------------

Wouldn't the fact that all of the above product codes start with "MB" indicate that they are all in the MacBook family?

My guess is that the first 3 are MacBooks, the 2 in the middle are MacBook Airs, and the last 3 are MacBook pro's.

There is no way they would bump up the entry level price of the MacBook by $200. If they do, tomorrow will be another sad day for AAPL shares.
  • Reply 62 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ntrabue View Post

That's weird it's still happening to me every time I open a new window go to apple.com click on mac then click on macbook then buy now I get an error when the page loads. Maybe it's just IE. The error says

"Internet Explorer cannot open site http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...family/macbook.

operation aborted

[OK]

try using Safari
  • Reply 63 of 159
    I hope this image is fake or a prototype. That top does not fit right to the bottom! We'll all know in about 12 hours I guess.
  • Reply 64 of 159
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Every time a new display technology is released, Apple has to go and make their own proprietary version of the connector. Why is Apple so obsessed with making proprietary display connectors? What's wrong with using the standard DisplayPort connector?

Yeah there's no reason for this besides making money from adaptors. Fair enough DVI is way too big but Standard Displayport could easily have gone onto that machine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenobell

Well, from that picture, the mechanical latch on the MBP is still there. I had also hoped they would go all magnetic.

I don't see a latch. there's no button for one thing. The indentation is there so you can pull it open. The lid is also tightly shut at the edge when closed. A latch doesn't hold it together that firmly.

They would have to cut a hole in the glass at the top too or leave a gap for the actual latch at the top and I don't see one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer

They want to make sure that you can't connect their overpriced monitors to anything in four years.

I hope they aren't stupid enough to put Mini-displayport on the actual displays. That would be very dumb indeed because PC users use Apple displays too. Thing is, if they make a mini-dp to dp cable, it should be ok.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

There appears to be no power button? What if you open lid to turn on!!? COOL

I think it's just hard to see in the image. The case previews showed it's at the back on the right, no longer inside the speaker grill. There looks like there's something there. They can't remove this because you need to use it for a force-reboot and for resetting your PMU/SMC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE

If they release this thing I will be selling my iMac and buy it along with a new MBP.

You wouldn't buy a dock for $899 as well as a MBP. You'd be better just buying an external display. The $899 model has to be a Macbook otherwise they aren't being competitive, which they said they would be.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mariofreak85

Won't glass make it rather heavy tho?

The MBA has glass too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Maybe that's what that weird "extra" port is?

I was thinking it could be some sort of flash-boot drive. I hate having USB sticks sticking out the side of a machine and they are used a lot these days so even just for general use, it would be kinda neat.
  • Reply 65 of 159
    For the past week or two, I've been scouring the web for information on what Apple will be introducing today at 10AM PT at the Apple Campus in Cupertino, California. I've been reading through rumors, viewing mock-up photos, and assessing the veracity of alleged spy-shots. The search proved fruitful at most points, till I suddenly realized something.

I think I've come down with something.

Steve Jobs has infected me - A curious little infection that will take a significant bite out of my earnings from now into, most likely, 5 of my future lives.

I wasn't always an Apple Fanboy. I used to think that MS Windows PCs delivered everything I needed, and I honestly believed the Blue Screen of Death was a standard in the computing industry. Yes, we've all pulled out quite a number of strands of hair from our well-manicured heads at the very instant the BSD would flash on screen. Mind you, its timing is impeccable. It happens just when we're thinking of saving the document we've been working on for the past few hours. I really thought bald heads and late reports were the norm.

All this changed when 2 of my friends, BJ S. and Audie E., introduced me to their Macs. I met iBook in 2003 through BJ, and iMac in 2004 through Audie (And yes, referring to them as if they were people is intended). To make the story short, "iFell". The Mac OS Panther interface was eye-candy. The lines we're clean. The designs were faultless. My credit cards and wallet were in for a major bashing.

Now, after 1 iMac, 1 MacBook, 1 MacBook Pro, 1 Airport Extreme, 1 Airport Express, 4 iPods, 1 iPhone 3G, and all the accessories made for them, in the year 2008, here I am - Infected.

I must blame my friends for introducing me to such well-designed artifacts, the Apple Marketing Department for knowing exactly how to hit people like me, and my weak character that gives in to every magnificent redesign and groundbreaking invention that Apple throws my way.

I've come down with Apple-itis, and it's a wondrous infection.

Shylock C. Casasola

[email protected]
  • Reply 66 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The MBA has glass too.

Where?
  • Reply 67 of 159
    I swear to god if the macbook pros have glossy-only displays with no option for matte (or matte as standard, come on!!) and no firewire 400, apple will lose any chance of me purchasing a new macbook pro from them too. as a professional photographer I swear by matte-only displays for a number of reasons, but mostly for the fact that they do not cause unwanted and distracting glare, which is a pain in the ASS to work with.

Don't let me down, Steve...
  • Reply 68 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

the one I work at doesn't look like that.

Ditto

Who cares if the screens are only glossy? A little steel wool will fix that right up!!

.....sarcasm.
  • Reply 69 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

You are not the only one who has problems with "tap to click". Just because it works on the iPhone does not mean it's a good idea for a touchpad.

I use a Dell laptop at work (Yuck! I know... that's because I have to). Anyway, on the contrary to above, I only use tap and click (but never the stupid, uncomfortable buttons.) That works just fine for me. The only trick I played was to assign a "double click" for opening, instead of a single click.

Don't worry about accidentally clicking on something. A "click" is technically defined as a "tap-and-lift" not "tap and hold". It just takes a bit of getting used to, but it works great for me.
  • Reply 70 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Glossy will be an option. Apple knows to many people are Anti-Glossy to make it required.

I certainly hope so... Most other brands do not give that option...

Quote:

I'm Pro-Glossy, BTW. If There's a problem with a reflection, move the computer.

If I wanted a computer I can't use wherever I want, I would buy a much more powerful and less expensive desktop computer... The point of a notebook is to be used in a many different places as possible. If I decide to go work in the park, I don't want to have to move in a cave because of a stupid and useless glossy screen. The only point on the plus side for glossy screen is watching movies - and that's only because notebook manufacturers use TN LCD which are poor quality, that would not be a problem with another technology. And movies are not meant to be seen on a tiny 17" screen anyway, buy a 42"+ TV and enjoy them for real...

Besides, working in pitch black is really bad for your eyes. And if you work in anything but pithc black, you're going to get reflections. And reflections mean shifts in colors and luminosity. Notebook screen are already bad enough for photography and graphism, but with glossy screens they just become useless. LCD came with a drop in general and color quality compared to the old CRT. The saving grace came from the mat surface, that allow for close to not reflections. With the glossy surface, we're going backwards to the main default of the CRT...

Coming from a brand that made his name thanks to artists, that would be extremelly counter productive.
  • Reply 71 of 159
    MB382LL/A $899.00 (K29) ? MacBook

MB466LL/A $1,299.00 (M97) ? MacBook Touch

MB467LL/A $1,599.00 (M97) ? MacBook Touch

MB543LL/A $1,799.00 (M96) ? MacBook Air

MB940LL/A $2,499.00 (M96) ? MacBook Air Touch

MB470LL/A $1,999.00 (M98) ? MacBookPro

MB471LL/A $2,499.00 (M98) ? MacBookPro Touch

MB766LL/A $2,799.00 (M88) ? MacBookPro Touch
  • Reply 72 of 159
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You wouldn't buy a dock for $899 as well as a MBP. You'd be better just buying an external display. The $899 model has to be a Macbook otherwise they aren't being competitive, which they said they would be.

It is not simply a dock. It is most likely a 23 inches cinema display ($899 by itself!) and a dock station. Personally, I don't like laptop computers because I don't find them comfortable to work on for long period of time (I am used to desktops even though I owned 3 in the past 10 years). With this dock you don't have to worry about keeping your desktop and laptop sync, you don't have to deal with the wires, and if the patent is accurate you can even have more ports. I
  • Reply 73 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

So all in all, given that the keyboard is probably going to be inferior and that the problem with the system fonts has still not been fixed, I'm feeling pretty depresed over this. I had really, really been looking forward to this for quite a long while. But it's now starting to look like its DOA as far as I am concerned.

About the keyboard:

It takes getting used to, but I'm using the iMac's flat keyboard and loving it. At first it was a weird feeling, but I got used to it and now love it! It takes less force to type, I have to say I type faster on the flat keyboard buttons. (By the way, I guess it's also a space- and weight-saving strategy to move to flat keys.)

About the glossy display:

Though I respect your opinion, I felt the same about my iMac when I first got it. Granted, there is no anti-glare coating on it (hello Apple???) I was scared s***less about it, but once the screen is turned on, your vision "digs" into the content and you really won't notice the reflections. At least that was my experience. Now, I actually enjoy having a clear and bright screen, which I could not have had w/ a matte finish.

I do agree w/ a number of others who said the black margin makes it look sexy. It does indeed when you finally see one in person. I love how my iMac looks. Would like that for MBP as well.
  • Reply 74 of 159
    not snappy.. i have to say when I used an air for the first time - i didn't like the looks of the keyboard, but it's grown on me....
  • Reply 75 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

------------------------------

Wouldn't the fact that all of the above product codes start with "MB" indicate that they are all in the MacBook family?

My guess is that the first 3 are MacBooks, the 2 in the middle are MacBook Airs, and the last 3 are MacBook pro's.

There is no way they would bump up the entry level price of the MacBook by $200. If they do, tomorrow will be another sad day for AAPL shares.

Agree 100% Would be dumb to make MB less affordable in this crappy economy. I'm waiting AAPL to get back up to $175 so I break even . Argggghhhh
  • Reply 76 of 159
    Why MagSafe for external display??? If you yank it, display will go dead. It make no sense. Maybe magsafe is an output FROM the display, so a laptop can be powered by it?

Can someone shed more light on this???
  • Reply 77 of 159
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

Where?

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/specs.html

"Mercury-free LCD display with arsenic-free glass"

Concerning the price list, I will be very disappointed if the MBP comes in at $1999 again. The $1599 Macbook they used to have was largely due to the black color. They are all the same now. I guess they could make a 15" Macbook for $1599.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neverPCagain

Why MagSafe for external display??? If you yank it, display will go dead. It make no sense. Maybe magsafe is an output FROM the display, so a laptop can be powered by it?

Can someone shed more light on this???

It's still better than yanking your display onto the floor. The point is that there should be no yanking going on and in the event of yanking being present, the cable behaves in the least damaging way possible. A lot of products are like this - think crumple zones in cars. Some people would say why bother. If the car was stronger, it would come out better off. The point is that the people in the car wouldn't and they are generally considered to be more important (depends on the model of car though - Tom Cruise driving a Bugatti Veron, I'd probably side with the car).

Magsafe is a good design for pretty much every electrical item known to man. If Apple licensed it to people, I think it would be very popular.
  • Reply 78 of 159
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is not simply a dock. It is most likely a 23 inches cinema display ($899 by itself!) and a dock station. Personally, I don't like laptop computers because I don't find them comfortable to work on for long period of time (I am used to desktops even though I owned 3 in the past 10 years). With this dock you don't have to worry about keeping your desktop and laptop sync, you don't have to deal with the wires, and if the patent is accurate you can even have more ports. I

Will the 13 inch laptop also be dockable? Will Apple laptop docks be universal, or will you need to buy a different dock for each laptop?

Is anyone concerned about the laptop getting scratched from sliding it in and out of the display/dock?

Hopefully Apple will also sell a standalone dock without a built in monitor. Or license the dock connector to third parties who will make a standalone dock.
  • Reply 79 of 159

Looking at this price list I think the last one is in fact a 17-inch MacBook Pro and not a 15-inch.

The price is so high for a 15-inch notebook and also if you look at the current Apple web, you can see 3 different MacBook Pros, 2 of 15-inch and 1 of 17-inch.

Also the codenames are different from the other 2.

In fact it has no sense to not update the 17-inch, what will they do, put the 17-inch in another place? or remove it from the web? Who will buy a not updated 17-inch MacBook???
  • Reply 80 of 159
    rttrtt Posts: 1member
    Could these be all touchscreens?

The image looks like a large iphone/touch display.

Why would the screen be glass? Why would the prices be higher than expected, especially for the macbooks?

Could the $899 item be a touchscreen without a keyboard?

Anyone agree?