New photo reveals MacBook Pro, new display also possible

Comments

• Reply 81 of 159
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Wouldn't it be amazing if you could turn on secondary click in Settings (Yeah, that's why I'm calling System Preferences from now on), and anywhere right of center on that giant trackpad worked as right click?

You can already do that (sort of, and better). Tap with two fingers and you get the same as "right click."

Where have you been?
  • Reply 82 of 159
    Gawd. I f'n despise Laptops. Nothing like a bunch of drones sitting around in a park texting on a f'n laptop.

We have this ridiculous fantasy notions that we have parks of geniuses working in collaboration, amidst serene settings, and changing the world.

All we have consists of 50 average people bitching, flirting, surfing and basically moving their dull lives outside for everyone else to be surrounded by the portable pod people incapable of enjoying Nature.
  • Reply 83 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is not simply a dock. It is most likely a 23 inches cinema display ($899 by itself!) and a dock station. Personally, I don't like laptop computers because I don't find them comfortable to work on for long period of time

Perhaps.

You could turn the MBP sideways and insert the left side (with your monitor, power, usb, etc) into the dock while the right side faces towards you with the DVD drive.
  • Reply 84 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RTT View Post

Why would the screen be glass? Why would the prices be higher than expected, especially for the macbooks?

Could the $899 item be a touchscreen without a keyboard?

Anyone agree?

I think it's possible. And it fits the idea of a product 'transition'. I'd like it

It's also possible that transition refers to the NVIDIA GPU taking Macs a step forward in the use of onboard GP-GPU for general purpose computing needs... that would be a transition (but can the Mac take advantage before Snow Leopard?)
  • Reply 85 of 159
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    The model number of the $899 unit does not match that of a display. Displays are M9, computing devices are MB. It has to be a computer of some sort. It could be a tablet or a mini MB or a really stripped down MB.
  • Reply 86 of 159
    Did anyone see what engagdet updated with?!

Quote:

Update: Our source just hit us with another pic, this time from the side -- it's after the break. We're also told that there's not one, but two NVIDIA GPUs inside -- we're guessing an integrated / discrete setup like in the VAIO Z, but we'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Update 2: Our source just hit us again to say that it's two full-on NVIDIA GPUs -- sounds like a hybrid SLI setup to us, which is pretty wild. Wilder still, they say the MacBook and 17-inch MacBook Pro aren't getting refreshed tomorrow, which we find hard to believe, but we'll see when we see.

TWO FULL NVIDIA GPUS?!?!?!
  • Reply 87 of 159
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Why would the screen be glass?

Easy to clean and they don't diffuse light (hence the reflections but sharper output).

Quote:

Why would the prices be higher than expected, especially for the macbooks?

They're ripping us off again.

Quote:

Could the $899 item be a touchscreen without a keyboard?

I don't think it can be without people getting annoyed at Apple for the iMac. Apple charge more to bundle a display with their computer and then expect you to buy another one to sit next to it for touch.

I reckon people will switch in droves to a Mini if they released one of those.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander

but can the Mac take advantage before Snow Leopard?

Yes using CUDA. Apple could bundle the laptops with CUDA optimized apps (possibly some Quicktime encoders) before Leopard and then simply update it in 10.6.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99

TWO FULL NVIDIA GPUS?!?!?!

I'm still doubtful. The source may not be aware that the integrated chip and the dedicated chip can now be used at the same time using hybrid SLI. They would probably show up in system prefs independently as opposed to the dedicated chip overriding the integrated one.

If this source knows there's two, you'd think they would post model numbers.
  • Reply 88 of 159
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    There was some speculation that the new products might have 16:9 displays. The photo clearly shows a 16:10 display.

The reason it looks like crap is the glossy display. I hope Apple are smart enough to continue selling matte displays.
  • Reply 89 of 159
    I'm curious to see what that $899 is, I don't think its a display i think its an new line of macbook possibly a netbook (little larger maybe 10 or 11 inch)
  • Reply 90 of 159
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    Over at Daring Fireball, John Gruber says the cheapest MacBook will be the old white MacBook. Apple will retain it at a cheaper price-point. When the $1299 and $1499 MacBooks won't have any FireWire, that would be a complete rip-off at that price-point. Many older Mac users who want to trade in their Apple notebook and who do have FireWire peripherals won't be able to buy a cheap Mac notebook newer style. Also new-to-Mac persons who have older or recent DV and HDV camcorders won't be able to connect them to their new MacBooks, if FireWire rumors hold true (I'm still hoping to see a combo Ethernet/FireWire port). These people will have to buy an old style white MacBook.
  • Reply 91 of 159
    For the first time I felt the need to chime in. Hello all.

If the new Macbook Pro does indeed use 'Geforce Boost' which combines both GPU's to increase performance. Which is one part of Hybrid SLI, the other being Hybrid Power that switches between GPU's for efficient power usage. The only dedicated GPU's that takes advantage of Geforce Boost are the Geforce 9500M G or lower like the 9300M GS and9200M GS as there are no performance benefits from using Geforce Boost with any stronger GPU's like The Geforce 9600M GT.

So if this is true we're not even going to get a mid-range GPU. From all the SLI benchmarks I have seen, albeit with two dedicated GPU's in SLI, there are almost no performance gains unless the 3D application is explicitly designed to use it.

I think it is more likely that the Macbook Pro's wont use Geforce Boost but will Hybrid Power. As the term Hybrid SLI means both or either of those I wouldn't be surprised if it has been thrown around loosely. But if it does we're going to be getting low to low/mid 3D performance.
  • Reply 92 of 159
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plums View Post

The only dedicated GPU's that takes advantage of Geforce Boost are the Geforce 9500M G or lower like the 9300M GS and9200M GS as there are no performance benefits from using Geforce Boost with any stronger GPU's like The Geforce 9600M GT.

So if this is true we're not even going to get a mid-range GPU. From all the SLI benchmarks I have seen, albeit with two dedicated GPU's in SLI, there are almost no performance gains unless the 3D application is explicitly designed to use it.

One thing that I was afraid of when I heard about Hybrid SLI boosting performance by 40% was that Apple would use a lower powered 40% slower dedicated GPU and try and make up for it with the integrated graphics. It is true that if this was the case they'd be using lower end dedicated chips:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybridsli_notebook.html

If it was two dedicated chips, you run into the same problems regarding SLI because only specific apps can use the functionality. I don't see Apple doing this. My only guess would be they will use one of the GPUs specifically for CUDA/OpenCL so that it doesn't impact graphics performance.

On the Macbook model, they could have one dedicated + integrated graphics so that it still has a dedicated CUDA/OpenCL processor.

It just doesn't sound like Apple to do something like this though. Usually they keep graphics stuff to a minimum and underclock. Putting two high end chips in there would be great but totally out of the ordinary.
  • Reply 93 of 159
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

The model number of the $899 unit does not match that of a display. Displays are M9, computing devices are MB. It has to be a computer of some sort. It could be a tablet or a mini MB or a really stripped down MB.

Or a MB without optical drive I don't really believe they are going to sell MB in just two models like the Air with $200 more on the entry level one.
  • Reply 94 of 159
    One of the main differentiators between the current Macbook and Macbook Pro is that not only does the Macbook Pro have a discrete GPU but that it has it's own dedicated memory therefore it is not leeching of the main system memory and bus like the Macbook. When using pro apps bandwidth is key. So I still think its less likely that they would limit the PRO like that.

I think having the option to use integrated for GUI and discrete for OpenCL intensive apps is a very good idea Marvin.

Seeing as OpenCL may well have a massive role in the near future it wouldn't surprise me. Infact the effect of OpenCL on Pro apps may negate my above statement completely.
  • Reply 95 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neverPCagain View Post

About the keyboard:

It takes getting used to, but I'm using the iMac's flat keyboard and loving it. At first it was a weird feeling, but I got used to it and now love it! It takes less force to type, I have to say I type faster on the flat keyboard buttons. (By the way, I guess it's also a space- and weight-saving strategy to move to flat keys.)

About the glossy display:

Though I respect your opinion, I felt the same about my iMac when I first got it. Granted, there is no anti-glare coating on it (hello Apple???) I was scared s***less about it, but once the screen is turned on, your vision "digs" into the content and you really won't notice the reflections. At least that was my experience. Now, I actually enjoy having a clear and bright screen, which I could not have had w/ a matte finish.

I do agree w/ a number of others who said the black margin makes it look sexy. It does indeed when you finally see one in person. I love how my iMac looks. Would like that for MBP as well.

The mac keyboard with the low profile aluminum finish beats the crap out of their prior series. They are a complete breeze to clean and keep from ever getting particle matter inside it. It kicks serious arse.
  • Reply 96 of 159
    Maybe this design (if real) will grow on me, but I prefer the current MBP by quite a bit. The overall look of the new MBP just looks too much like a bulkier Air.

It's a real shame that Apple looks like it might force buyers into glossy MBP displays. Following this particular PC trend is not a good idea, IMO.

Also, having no trackpad button forces users to use tap-click and drag-clicking (which I despise). All MBPs already have "no trackpad button functionality," meaning that one can use the trackpad without the button simply by turning on dragging, tapping, and double clicking. Eliminating the button forces users to dispense with something that some of us really like.
  • Reply 97 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Easy to clean and they don't diffuse light (hence the reflections but sharper output).

They're ripping us off again.

I don't think it can be without people getting annoyed at Apple for the iMac. Apple charge more to bundle a display with their computer and then expect you to buy another one to sit next to it for touch.

I reckon people will switch in droves to a Mini if they released one of those.

Yes using CUDA. Apple could bundle the laptops with CUDA optimized apps (possibly some Quicktime encoders) before Leopard and then simply update it in 10.6.

I'm still doubtful. The source may not be aware that the integrated chip and the dedicated chip can now be used at the same time using hybrid SLI. They would probably show up in system prefs independently as opposed to the dedicated chip overriding the integrated one.

If this source knows there's two, you'd think they would post model numbers.

Apple isn't leveraging CUDA. Apple will leverage OpenCL and GrandCentral through whatever GPU/CPU combo they incorporate. CUDA being Nvidia based is moving to OpenCL with their own hooks for their needs.

AMD/ATi are moving Streams to OpenCL.

Apple is leveraging OpenCL for their Operating System, period. Applications leveraging the GPU will go through OpenCL, not CUDA nor Streams from AMD/ATi.
  • Reply 98 of 159
    Is that a SONY laptop? Don't like it all sorry Ive....

Still happy with my Timeless MBP design
  • Reply 99 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mausse View Post

Is that a SONY laptop? Don't like it all sorry Ive....

Still happy with my Timeless MBP design

Agreed. It just looks like any other laptop out there now. If those images are real, the MacBook Pro has lost it's 'Macness'. \
  • Reply 100 of 159
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

Where's the trackpad button gone? Will they use multi-touch for all clicking purposes? Interesting...

first thing i noticed after the glossy screen!

I can't quite tell from the angle but it could have been moved to the top of the track pad or maybe the spacebar doubles as a trackpad button.