OH GOD!!!!! [iWalk]

Comments

• Reply 121 of 587
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    I've never played with a Newton myself, so maybe, like Macintosh said, that's what it is...
  • Reply 122 of 587
    here's another geocities site i created:

<a href="http://us.share.geocities.com/coldsteelblue/sayhello.mov"; target="_blank">http://us.share.geocities.com/coldsteelblue/sayhello.mov</a>;

fire away, until it's used up.

SdC
  • Reply 122 of 587
    It is very newton like. Not enough is shown here to convince me that it is real. Guilty until prooven innocent!
  • Reply 122 of 587
    wheewhee Posts: 46member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cobra:

<strong>4 Days until Macworld San Francisco.

"It ain't the iWalk guys. Nice try though."

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or something cryptic like "You would walk? I'd run." [edit: or "Don't walk. Run."]

I just don't see a PDAesque device being a major hit, unless it has some really advanced features, though.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: whee ]</p>
  • Reply 122 of 587
    It's a helluva lot faster and better than my MP120
  • Reply 127 of 587
    Mike XS, you should have it now.

SdC
  • Reply 127 of 587
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Looks really real but...

-It looks very much like a newt with a white bagground (I got a 2000 and a 2100)

-The plastic thingy gets in the way. they wouldn´t make that mistake.

-The pen is the original 2000 pen painted white. Sorry they would have made something different
  • Reply 130 of 587
    tcotco Posts: 87member
    hmm... mebbe this bit from mosr.com is related:

[quote]I received my MWSF 2002 badge today, and included in the envelope was a brochure ad from MacDirectory magazine. ÊIn addition to photos of glamorous people carrying Apple products, and some gratuitous cleavage, the front of the ad shows a picture of an LCD panel with an Apple logo in the graphite plastics and a stylus pen resting on top. ÊItÕs not an image of any released Appe product. ÊUsing the pen for scale, the screen seems to be considerably smaller than 12.1-inches, and adjacent to the screen is what looks like a hinged panel with a covered compartment, similar to the door that covers the controls on the front of a TV or monitor.<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 131 of 587
    I think they look real. But I do not think it is going to be releses. I think it might be a prototyp or really steve playing a joke on us. That thing looks pretty shity. no color LCD, and a ugly interface. and that pen is not apple. Apple would have a more stylish pen.
  • Reply 131 of 587
    It looks kinda ok.. could be an older newt but is that some color up by the battery? Also video was made recently .. Dec 29/2001 10:51 am time read on the document...

Its hard for me to say since i never worked with a newton..

<a href="http://www.mikezornek.com/!sayhello.mov"; target="_blank">http://www.mikezornek.com/!sayhello.mov</a>;

I'll be happy to mirror other movies as they come out .. got bandwidth to kill on that site =) 6 gig per month
  • Reply 133 of 587
    well the video LOOKS real but...

-that clear apple button thing looks fake/bad design/not the finished article??

-why the iPod as well as iWalk? surely iWalk can do (or could easily be made to do) everything that an iPod can (assuming it has a hard drive) - unless iWalk is alot more expensive than an iPod (and if it is, who will buy it?) why would you buy an iPod. More to the point, why would Apple go to the troble of all the marketing it has done on the iPod

-why has Steve Jobs been saying that PDAs are not compelling products, they're not much use, apple isn't going to do one etc etc? Surely saying that they're not that useful is very poor PR. Unless of course SJ will use RDF to tell us this is not a PDA...
  • Reply 133 of 587
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Is it just me, or does the thing with the Apple logo on it look like the yo-yo power adapter?
  • Reply 133 of 587
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    Fake.

Got to give them credit though.

They did a pretty good job.

I somehow think this might not be the end of it either.

I think a PDA is just a flat out horrible idea.

Go play with your Palm Pilots and get over it.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Cobra ]</p>
  • Reply 136 of 587
    2 thoughts, no make that 3

1. I thought you had to print for the Newton. The handwriting recognition looks pretty sweet for what I remember of the Newton

2. Quoted from SpyMac

iWalk developments (12/29/2001)

....Only SpyMac will bring you actual video footage of a working prototype, recorded by an exclusive SpyMac source during a brief secret meeting which took place earlier this week

THe date on the screen of the iWalk is 12/29/01 10:53 AM, unless "earlier this week" is the same day that doesn't add

3. I thought Steve was a vegetarian, would he go for a leather case?
  • Reply 137 of 587
    has anyone checked if the name iWalk is trademarked? If it isn't, wouldn't that point to a fake? Because, Macworld is less than a week away, and they would have the name trademarked by now if it were legit. I'd check, but i don' t know the patent checker URL
  • Reply 137 of 587
    Check morpheus under "sayhello"

I am jetpowers on morpheus.

SdC
  • Reply 139 of 587
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    So, here is the quick take.

There is obviously a real device in the video. The question is is it an Apple or not.

1. I think the design is too plain. compare it to an iPod. The iPod has more curves and a softer edge. Also, what is the purpose of that button at the bottom? It doesn't seem to be segmented like an iPod controller.

2. Can anyone identify the software? Is this Newton or other known software?

3. I agree with a previous poster (can't see the name as I type). If it was from Apple it should have a color screen.

4. Could be a prototype that escaped the Cupertino campus?
  • Reply 140 of 587
    Take a look at the logo on this image. Was the logo on the newton rainbow or solid. Weren't macs from that time using the rainbow look?

<a href="http://www.zdnet.ru/zdreviews/images/Newton old1.jpg&quot; target="_blank">http://www.zdnet.ru/zdreviews/images/Newton old1.jpg&lt;/a&gt;