Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday unveiled its next-generation 13-inch MacBook, which includes a new unibody construction, more powerful NVIDIA graphics, Display Port output, a new glass touchpad with multitouch gestures, and a revised appearance nearly identical to the new MacBook Pro.

Construction

Apple detailed a new "unibody" construction method for the MacBook that improves upon the current model's plastic shell, reinforced with an internal frame. The new design is patterned after the MacBook Air released in January and is extremely similar to that of the new MacBook Pro.

The new construction provides a case that is stronger, torsionally rigid, 4.5 pounds light, and 0.95 inches thin. It features a MacBook Air-style keyboard recessed into the frame. All I/O ports are located on left side, including: MagSafe, Gigabit Ethernet, Dual USB 2.0, Mini Display Port, Analog/digital audio in and out, and a side-mounted battery indicator light.

Graphics

The new MacBook line features the powerful new NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, a revolutionary new 3D integrated graphics processor that features 16 parallel processing cores and delivers up to five times the 3D graphics performance as previous MacBook and MacBook Air designs. Apple has worked together with NVIDIA on this groundbreaking graphics processor and is the first to bring it to market in the new MacBook family.

Multitouch Glass Trackpad

The new MacBook also features a new 39 percent larger multitouch trackpad that supports additional gestures and acts as a single button. The glass surface of the trackpad promises less friction for "silky-smooth travel." The new trackpad supports virtual software buttons, as well as one- to four-fingered multitouch gestures:

two finger pinch and rotatethree finger slidesfour fingers bring up Exposé and app switching

Optical Drive, Latch, and More

The optical drive is located on right edge. It provides a DVD burner but does not support Blu-ray. Jobs said "Blu-ray is a bag of hurt. I don?t mean from the consumer point of view. It?s great to watch movies, but the licensing is so complex. We?re waiting until things settle down, and waiting until Blu-ray takes off before we burden our customers with the cost of licensing."

The new notebooks continue to supply a backlit keyboard, sudden motion sensor, stereo speakers, iSight camera, mic, and magnetic latch.

New Battery Cover and Easy Access

The new battery cover provides easy access to the hard drive bay, which supports both a standard mechanical hard drive and a new solid state drive option. Locking the system with a security cable also locks the cover on the battery and drive.

Side-mounted Battery Indicator Light

The MacBook's new side-mounted battery indicator light means users won't have to turn the machine upside down to see the status of their notebook's battery if the machine is not powered on.

MacBook Configurations

The 2.0 GHz, 13-inch aluminum MacBook will sell for $1,299 and include:

13.3-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1280 x 800 glossy display;2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3MB shared L2 cache;1066 MHz front-side bus;2GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB;NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;160GB serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;a slot-load 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) optical drive;Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;Gigabit Ethernet port;built-in iSight video camera;two USB 2.0 ports;one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;glass Multi-Touch trackpad; and60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

The 2.4 GHz aluminum MacBook is priced at $1,599 and includes:

13.3-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1280 x 800 glossy display;2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3MB shared L2 cache;1066 MHz front-side bus;2GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB;NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;250GB serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;a slot-load 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) optical drive;Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;Gigabit Ethernet port;built-in iSight video camera;two USB 2.0 ports;one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;glass Multi-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard; and60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

Build-to-order options for the MacBook include the ability to upgrade to 4GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, a 250GB 5400 rpm, 320GB 5400 rpm hard drive, a 128GB solid state drive, Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (for 30-inch DVI display), Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter, Apple USB Modem, Apple Remote, Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

In addition, Apple said the existing white plastic MacBook will continue to be sold for $999.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 522
    Let me be the first to say, the real successor to the 12" Powerbook is FINALLY here!
  • Reply 2 of 522
    Just bought mine from the Apple Store (at 11:05 am PST)!
  • Reply 3 of 522
    drxcmdrxcm Posts: 50member
    No Firewire
  • Reply 4 of 522
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    These new Apple laptops do look really sexy, and after seeing the vid on Apple's site, I'm conifdent they just might be the best notebooks in the world, but this NOT IN ANY WAY what the computer market needs right now. WHY doesn't Apple introduce a cheaper model to gain market share? Do they want to go all elitist and snobby?
  • Reply 5 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drxcm View Post

No Firewire

yeah and what about target disk mode... :-(
  • Reply 6 of 522
    How would one import video (particularly high def) without Firewire?
  • Reply 7 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

These new Apple laptops do look really sexy, and after seeing the vid on Apple's site, I'm conifdent they just might be the best notebooks in the world, but this NOT IN ANY WAY what the computer market needs right now. WHY doesn't Apple introduce a cheaper model to gain market share? Do they want to go all elitist and snobby?

I'm sorry, go all elitist and snobby? They are the epitome of snobbery and have repeatedly stated that they don't want to deal with the lower end of the market. They aren't going anywhere, they're already there.
  • Reply 8 of 522
    The Hell

In the US white MacBook now $999. In the UK, white Macbook has gone up $40 - and nothings changed

Put off buying MacBook few weeks ago cos I heard it might go down in price. HAHA

Was going to buy one, but now ill go for cheaper option. Dell
  • Reply 9 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drxcm View Post

No Firewire

Uh, it lists FireWire 800 in the story AND an Express 34 card slot.
  • Reply 10 of 522
    This would look a lot better if they did an anodized black version.
  • Reply 11 of 522
    you got to be joking me, just went to order from the uk store and the macbook 13" is £949 for the nvidia/black surround version (thats about $1644) a whopping $350 dollars over what most of what you guys will pay ($1299)!

you know what apple shove it!!!

and about 2 hours ago the white macbook was £699, but now its £719????

not paying that. my current macbook currently suffers from massive/huge screen flicker (out of warranty now) and was waiting for this but like i said cant justify paying that, might end up getting the imac now or more likely now ill put leopard on a laptop!!!
  • Reply 12 of 522
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    NO Firewire on MacBook, NO PURCHASE!
  • Reply 13 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

They cut the price of the old Macbook to $999. Still not a great deal, but they'll sell a lot of them.

The pricing is pretty devious, though. I wonder how many people will take the $300 bait?
  • Reply 14 of 522
    No Firewire! I bought my 12", attached two FW devices at home, and used it to edit in FCP.

Smaller screen size is for portability not less features.
  • Reply 15 of 522
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    All my external drives are firewire, so is my $2,000 camcorder. Not to mention target disk mode. Why in the hell couldn't they add at least one firewire port or at least an expresscard slot for expansion?

What Apple giveth they always taketh away.
  • Reply 16 of 522
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samaster1991 View Post

The Hell

In the US white MacBook now $999. In the UK, white Macbook has gone up $40 - and nothings changed

Put off buying MacBook few weeks ago cos I heard it might go down in price. HAHA

Was going to buy one, but now ill go for cheaper option. Dell

It comes with a SuperDrive now. But you are having to pay the additional £20 for it.
  • Reply 17 of 522
    What is with the pricing disparity? A whooping $350.00 difference here in the UK? I mean importation costs have never been this high before. This sounds like rip-off Britain all over again. Very sad because the credit cards out!
  • Reply 18 of 522
    2.0 vs 2.4 GHz

is the difference even noticeable ? and if it is, is it really worth the extra ?
  • Reply 19 of 522
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Yeah, with no Firewire the 13" MacBook is seriously hobbled.
  • Reply 20 of 522
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartz View Post

What is with the pricing disparity? A whooping $350.00 difference here in the UK?

What? The difference is actually more like $115. How are you getting that $350? I assume you're forgetting that the UK price includes 17.5% VAT and the US price does not include sales tax (which gets added on at check out).