Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 184
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I have just bought a new Samsung 24 inch screen this past week and although I know its not the same screen, it doesn't even have the same kind of panel behind it, it is the same size, the same supported resolutions, it is in matte which I prefer, it does have speakers but I'm sure that they're probably not as good of the quality and it doesn't have an iSight or a mic built in but it was only $350 (Canadian Dollars) and tax, I could buy 3 of these for the same price as one of the new Apple Cinema displays because I am guessing that it will cost $899, which would be somewhere between $1000 and $1200 Canadian Dollars and tax, which would probably cost about $1200 or about the same as a new regular Macbook or even a 20 inch iMac?

Just because it has the same screen size and resolution doesn't mean they are alike. LED backlighting is more expensive than fluorescent backlighting.
  • Reply 22 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

yes, but you're forgetting that the current 23" cinema display with none of those new features costs 899 as well. Apple hasn't changed in terms of pricing on their new displays is my point. They're just as expensive as they ever were.

P.S. BTW - If you're Canadian you'd actually save money. have you looked at the exchange rate recently? 1 dollar is 1.145 canadian dollars

Also to with the exchange rate, I get an even slightly better exchange rate than that because I'm British and I'm just studying over here but the point is, the exchange rate isn't always going to stay the same or even be that high for Canadians and I don't even know what the price will be for the Apple Cinema Displays in Canada is going to be, I was just guessing, it might even be more.
  • Reply 23 of 184
    ALL THE CINEMA DISPLAYS ARE GONE!!!!!

See for yourself: http://www.apple.com/mac/

Looks like the new 24" glossy, DisplayPort, Magsafe Display is the only monitor Apple has anymore. Not only that, but under "In the Box" for both the Display and the MacBook Pro no adaptors are included (like miniDP-DVI)! The store is still down...hopefully it holds something.

By the way, to all those complaining about the iSight & speakers...I'm thinking that Apple was making this more of a docking station (in clamshell mode) than a second display! I'm a bit confused about the speakers though, but maybe it was to clean up a desk area (no speakers with long wires)...I'm sure you will be able to add your own speakers. But for the desktop users and those of us with the current notebooks....?
  • Reply 24 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Just because it has the same screen size and resolution doesn't mean they are alike. LED backlighting is more expensive than fluorescent backlighting.

I understand that but is it really worth it for most people, when it's 3 times as much of the price?

As I said before, I could buy a new Macbook or an iMac 20 inch for almost the same price and LED backlit too (obviously not a comparison as I would imagine the price would increase significantly with the size of the screen with them).
  • Reply 25 of 184
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I understand that but is it really worth it for most people, when it's 3 times as much of the price?

We will have to see after testing. LED is known to have better dynamic range and color reproduction than older fluorescent.
  • Reply 26 of 184
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

A little disappointing on the specs too... a 14ms response time? Thats incredibly slow and outdated. Combine that with only a 1000:1 CR and this puppy is waaaaay over priced. You can get FAR better performing "monitors" for less than half the $899 price, with way better specs, and with more inputs than just USB (very perplexing). Case in point: my 24" Acer HD monitor with 3000:1 CR and 2ms response time that was $330.

Ouch Apple.

You are comparing a 6-bit TN-panel with less colors and far less color accuracy with conventional CCFL-backlight to a S-IPS display with LED backlight here... 14ms is more than fast enough and 1000:1 is absolutely sufficient for creative work (in a dim room with no direct light even 400:1 is plenty, none of our older NEC and EIZO TFTs have more than 700:1 and every single one of them outclasses anything Acer has ever built).

900 bucks for a 24" S-IPS with LED backlight is not expensive at all. If it would not be glossy, I would be very tempted (but with this mirror and without FW-hub they can keep it).
  • Reply 27 of 184
    Wobegone, if you're reading

Weren't you insisting the other day that hardly anyone uses external displays on laptops. Now that Apple has released displays specificly for their laptops would you like to recant that?

Feel free to recant "Macbooks don't need Firewire" as well.
  • Reply 28 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

3x what price? More like 2x. I haven't seen a $300 24" display. I think it's more than just the backlight, the cheap displays, and the current 20" iMac use 6 bit panels, and Apple's separate displays most often use 8 bit panels.
  • Reply 29 of 184
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Where is the Firewire port?????????????????????????
  • Reply 30 of 184
    Quote:

Also to with the exchange rate, I get an even slightly better exchange rate than that because I'm British and I'm just studying over here but the point is, the exchange rate isn't always going to stay the same or even be that high for Canadians and I don't even know what the price will be for the Apple Cinema Displays in Canada is going to be, I was just guessing, it might even be more.

Yeah, possibly, with the state of the US economy though, my hopes aren't high for the dollar to increase in any value.
  • Reply 31 of 184
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

To be fair, when I plug my laptop into an external monitor, I usually have the lid closed, so speakers and an iSight are welcome additions in that configuration.

I usually have my lid open, but if I were to video chat, I wouldn't even be in the picture on my laptops isight. My monitor is in front of me (not my laptop) when I am at home, so even with a laptop it makes sense. I don't buy Apple monitors because they are too overpriced for me, but I'd be happy for my monitor to have the features this one has.
  • Reply 32 of 184
    DisplayPort info in case you are curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Looks like only Apple HP and Dell have ever used it in production before. Im not sure if Mini DisplayPort is a smaller formfactor or not. I assume it is.

Yet another video adapter for my Mac users to sort through. DVI, Mini-DVI, Micro-DVI, VGA, ADC, etc...
  • Reply 33 of 184
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

ALL THE CINEMA DISPLAYS ARE GONE!!!!!

See for yourself: http://www.apple.com/mac/

Looks like the new 24" glossy, DisplayPort, Magsafe Display is the only monitor Apple has anymore. Not only that, but under "In the Box" for both the Display and the MacBook Pro no adaptors are included (like miniDP-DVI)! The store is still down...hopefully it holds something.

By the way, to all those complaining about the iSight & speakers...I'm thinking that Apple was making this more of a docking station (in clamshell mode) than a second display! I'm a bit confused about the speakers though, but maybe it was to clean up a desk area (no speakers with long wires)...I'm sure you will be able to add your own speakers. But for the desktop users and those of us with the current notebooks....?

Still there.

http://www.apple.com/displays/cinema/
  • Reply 34 of 184
    I have lots of questions about this display.

If I understood correctly it's going to transfer the sound from the mic and the sound to the speakers through USB port? Or is it part of the miniDP function?

If it is going through USB wouldn't it slow USB down a bit if I'm listening to music or my mic is turned on?

I also wonder if hooking up the monitor would shutdown mic and speakers on the laptop? Otherwise if there's any lag with the sound we are going to have a very bad experience with this guy.

How would my regular speakers work? Are there going to be separate controls for display speakers and regular ones? Or one of them would override the other like it is right now with internal laptop speakers?
  • Reply 35 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Yes, on current MBPs it's the F7 key

F7 is for video mirroring: same image on both displays. If you close the lid, wait for the thing to go to sleep, then wake the system with your external keyboard or mouse, it'll automatically use the external monitor only.

if you decide to use BOTH monitors, monitor spanning, it gives you an extended desktop across both displays. Once you start using dual displays, you'll NEVER want to use one display again!

I keep palettes on my MacBook Pro and work on my external monitor. Or i keep Mail open on the MBP and Safari open on the external. With Spaces, you get even more flexibility.

The only downside is that mice are EXTREMELY inefficient with dual displays. I use a trackball which is faster and more accurate than a mouse. PLUS, you'll NEVER run out of mouse cable or mouse space. Once you give yourself the few hours it takes to get used to a trackball, you'll wonder why you didn't switch earlier. The Kensington Expert mouse is the BEST trackball, BTW!
  • Reply 36 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

3x what price? More like 2x. I haven't seen a $300 24" display. I think it's more than just the backlight, the cheap displays, and the current 20" iMac use 6 bit panels, and Apple's separate displays most often use 8 bit panels.

I didn't know that about the difference between Apple's display and clearly don't know much between the technologies in displays, I was just wondering myself on the justification of the higher price tag for something, the display I just got was $350 Canadian Dollars and though nothing a like, I just couldn't understand most users, especially ones just buying it for their Macbook at the moment would want to pay that much? Which is why I was asking .
  • Reply 37 of 184
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

i

ABSOLUTELY HATE THE GLOSSY DISPLAY, want Matte anti-reflective screen, very hard to do graphics work with a glossy/shiny display.

cmon apple, glossy is kinda stupid and your prosumers know better!!!

We can all thank Al Gore for this environmental friendly crap that began with the FUGLY iMac and now has carried on in these aberrations. It's like the scene in the Simpsons movie when everybody throws their trash at the announcer when he announces "environmentally friendly"!

Meanwhile- iPhones to be sold at Walmart!!!
  • Reply 38 of 184
    Actually I quite like the new ACD. I have a LG display claimed to sport 10000:1 CR and 5ms response time and cost me $350 and it looks like crap even compared to the existing ACD. Dynamic CR is Useless unless you wanna be shined to blind or death.

All these Asian (especially Taiwan or Korea based companies)LCD manufacturers are just playing with specs. When it comes to Display, what you see is what you get. Period.

And there will be some adapters to convert DVI to DisplayPort, as a matter of fact, the new MacBook/Pro line offer mini-display to DVI/VGA adapters as optional. Since the whole Mac line is going DisplayPort and most likely completing the transformation till Feb. 09, making a ACD with native DVI port won't make any sense.

I wish there will be a 30'+ version soon, that would be a beautiful beast!!!
  • Reply 39 of 184
    How come nobody's even curious about the 30" ACD? What's happening with that one is what I want to know.
  • Reply 40 of 184
    Apple's site list compatibility as "Compatible with MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro systems with Mini DisplayPort". So the Mac Pros with Mini DisplayPorts must be on the way.