New MacBook or ProBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yeah?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Update:

The 2.4GHz MacBook has a backlit-keyboard, the 2.0GHz, also metal, doesn't have the backlit-keyboard (both are the MacBook, not the Pro). Apple, WTF!?

Now that is slimy.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Update:

The 2.4GHz MacBook has a backlit-keyboard, the 2.0GHz, also metal, doesn't have the backlit-keyboard (both are the MacBook, not the Pro). Apple, WTF!?

Now that is slimy.

No worse than charging a few hundred dollars extra for a black MacBook...

I wish Apple would have done as another forum member suggested; offer multiple sizes, colors & BTO internals. No more MacBook or MacBook Pro. Just a family of multi-configurable MacBooks.

I could see room for a 10" netbook-style MacBook on the small end, and the 17" big daddy on the large side. No optical on the 10" model, but the external SuperDrive from the MacBook Air would be used here if desired.

Oh, and the MacBook Air needs to die. Use those internals for the basis of the 10" MacBook (netbook). The key here is that the entire MacBook line shares similar design lines, just in various sizings...

Eventually, either the touchpad on the laptops becomes an actual multi-touch monitor AND touchpad; or Apple replaces the entire laptop line with a series of tablets.

At this point, I am unsure if I would prefer a 10" MacBook (netbook-style) or a 10" Mac tablet.

If Apple can come up with a clean, yet strong/solid, twist hinge design to convert the laptop line to tablets when wanted, I could go with that... If it were the ONLY option for geting a tablet from Apple... But I would prefer a 'real' tablet some day...

I do know that I still want my iPhone nano...!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Update:

Now that is slimy.

Is that true?

The $1299 MB is a poor value IMO. The $1599 isn't a lot better. I like the design and looks of the new MBs and MBPs but the prices are too high and some features that would be inexpensive to include, FW on the MB and matte display option on the MBP, have been omitted.

I'm pretty happy with my two year old Rev. B MBP. This update really doesn't tempt me in the least.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

No worse than charging a few hundred dollars extra for a black MacBook...

I wish Apple would have done as another forum member suggested; offer multiple sizes, colors & BTO internals. No more MacBook or MacBook Pro. Just a family of multi-configurable MacBooks.

That was me, was my wet dream post.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Is that true?

Very very very very f*****g true, pardon my French.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I cannot understand why they dropped Firewire for the MB, this is just a crazy decision. Apple gets so focused on the beauty of the product, they make jaw-droppingly boneheaded decisions like this. Jeez.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Very very very very f*****g true, pardon my French.

<Shakes head in disgust>

They may sell a lot of these new MBs to new users. But I think a lot of loyal Mac users will pass on this update. Where is the value? In many respects you're paying more for arguably less.

The new chassis looks nice but I will wait for another update before even considering an upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I think I could truly settle on a 10" MacBook mini (meaning an Apple netbook that will run iLife, iWork & WoW) paired up with the new 24" LED Cinema Display.

And an iPhone nano that will tether the MacBook mini when needed...

An idea that popped in my head upon seeing the beauty shot of the new MacBook/24" LED combo, have the OS recognize when the laptop is open and the video is in spanning mode. When this happens, the OS would also recognize that the laptop keyboard/trackpad combo controls the laptop screen; and in turn, that any keyboard/mouse connected to the 'expansion' display would control that screen.

Got your laptop 'docked' to the 24" display, with Mail open on the laptop screen. An email comes in, you jump on the laptop input devices (keyboard/trackpad, duh) and deal with it...

Have Safari open on the 24" display, you are using the keyboard/mouse attached to the 24" display.

The OS recognizes the 'zones', extend this to the iSights in each display. You could have iChat open on the laptop to your side, and be screwing around in Photo Booth on the 24" display...