Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook

Comments

• Reply 241 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

These new Apple laptops do look really sexy, and after seeing the vid on Apple's site, I'm conifdent they just might be the best notebooks in the world, but this NOT IN ANY WAY what the computer market needs right now. WHY doesn't Apple introduce a cheaper model to gain market share? Do they want to go all elitist and snobby?

Every day . . . I see listings of high quality Windows machines on the Internet (Dell, Sony, HP) for significantly less money. And, these are not wimp machines; they are pretty well full-featured.

I know, I know; they are not Macs . . . . but they are fully functional tools for students who cannot afford to shell out an extra $300 - $600 for a Macintosh. I think Apple has missed an opportunity to tap into this growing (student) market and convert those young people who will be buying computers for many, many years.

I love my Mac, but . . . . . . just thinking.
  • Reply 242 of 522
    [CENTER][/CENTER]

Thank you all for the most entertaining B***h fest I have seen since the iPod mini came out.

Please continue.........
  • Reply 243 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edmaster View Post

Interesting advice so far... keep it coming.

Anyone else think the refurb Pro is a good idea at this point? Price points are similar to the new mid-range MBs.

I personally am sticking to my MBP because I don't mind the slightly larger size, prefer the keyboard, the higher resolution LCD, and like the much faster 8600GT over the 9400M. These are my justifications. If your demands are different, then I see little reason for you not to get the new MB.
  • Reply 244 of 522
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Why would Apple introduce a lower cost model when it continues to gain market share quicker then anybody else? Unlike the companies offering lower cost models, Apple is actually making money off it's machines. Companies like Dell rely on 1) all the crap that comes pre-installed, or 2) people upgrading to make money. Apple is very competitive for what it offers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

These new Apple laptops do look really sexy, and after seeing the vid on Apple's site, I'm conifdent they just might be the best notebooks in the world, but this NOT IN ANY WAY what the computer market needs right now. WHY doesn't Apple introduce a cheaper model to gain market share? Do they want to go all elitist and snobby?

• Reply 245 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cosmickd View Post

Does swapping out the hard drive screw up applecare?

Yeah it does, but if you swap back in the original, they won't know. I had to do that with the memory I added when my screen died two weeks after I bought mine.
  • Reply 246 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Do you know anything about cars? Clearly not, because if you did, you would know that the fastest and most reliable cars money can buy right now are badged with Nissan, Dodge, and Chevrolet (the GT-R, the Viper ACR and the Corvette ZR-1) and they cost orders of magnitude less than their equivalent Porsche, Aston Martin, and Ferrari counterparts AND manage to be more economical on fuel and maintenance.

And yet Ferrari still has so many orders that you can't get one new for as many as 4 years and Porsche just had their highest sales year ever with Aston Martin not far behind. The point is, people are willing to pay more for a premium product, performance and features be damned, so if you want to play, you've got to pay. If you can't afford it, get something else or nothing at all. You don't see people whining about not being able to afford an Aston Martin DBS, so why are they whining about this?

People don't whine about that because there are so many other choices that do the exact same thing and look just as good for less.

Apple is the sole manufacturer of computers that legitimately run OSX and when they ignore a portion of their consumer base those people are essentially left out with no alternative. That's why people are angry.
  • Reply 247 of 522
    I love comments like these. Instead of telling us you see lower cost machines, why don't you provide us a link to such a machine? In my experience, every time people list these types of things, the machines are always more or about the same when they are comparatively configured.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lugesm View Post

Every day . . . I see listings of high quality Windows machines on the Internet (Dell, Sony, HP) for significantly less money. And, these are not wimp machines; they are pretty well full-featured.

I know, I know; they are not Macs . . . . but they are fully functional tools for students who cannot afford to shell out an extra $300 - $600 for a Macintosh. I think Apple has missed an opportunity to tap into this growing (student) market and convert those young people who will be buying computers for many, many years.

• Reply 248 of 522
    albimalbim Posts: 68member
    I'm using an ancient iBook G4 Mac, and I STILL don't want to upgrade to the new MacBooks. $1299 is just too much. Try again Apple.
  • Reply 249 of 522
    Amen. Somebody finally talking sense. The comparisons are real easy to do by going to Dell or HP's site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This is not true. You people need to stop spreading false information. Dell uses the same CPU chips the MacBook is using in its $1000+ notebooks. No notebook under $1000 is using the Macbook chipset or GPU.

A 1066MHz Bus, DDR 3 RAM, 1280x800 LED screen are not entry level.

• Reply 250 of 522
    Perhaps, it was the Classic buy on the rumor, sell on the news. People are not holding stocks long in today's market. People were cashing in on profits they made by buying in at 89.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

If you think investors are lovin' what they saw today, then I don't know what to tell ya.

AAPL will recover, but not based on anything that came out of today's event. This was a 'stay the course' refresh, that also unfortunately re-affirmed Apple's reluctance to eat Dell's, HP's, etc's lunch in the upper reaches of the sub-$1K market.

And the pulling of FW was a slap in the face.

• Reply 251 of 522
    is there any real reason to purchase the MacBook Air over the $1599 MacBook? I mean really..... the MacBook is now 0.95" and 4.5lbs.....lighter and thinner....has wayy better specs than the Air, has a backlit keyboard, LED Screen and Multitouch Glass Touchpad (Air doesnt have this)......whats the you're paying $200-$1000 more for .19" thinness and 1.5lbs lighter.......but get far less. I used to think an updated Air would be what I desired, but after today there's no reason.
  • Reply 252 of 522
    I'm pretty disappointed.

Yeah, they'll made of aluminum, thin, DDR3, dedicated graphics, 13.3" screen, but the price just seems out of line, at least with the economy in flux. I guess the only real positive I can think of, is that they're cheap compared to some of the Sonys with 13 inch screens and DDR3. The Nvidia 9400M isn't much to talk about either, a decent boost over Intel, but not that much.

I guess I was just really expecting a $900 or so MB, just because all computer components are getting cheaper, laptops are coming with more RAM, bigger HDs, some even have Blu-Ray drives now.

Here, Apple walks out with a 160 GB HD as standard. lol. 2 GB of laptop DDR3 RAM is only about $100. I just don't care that much about a one-piece aluminum shell, to discount other features I feel should be pumped up nowadays.
  • Reply 253 of 522
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lugesm View Post

You are right these computers are usable as far as computers go. But they are not the same as the Mac.

Configure any of them (especially a Sony) with the same specs as the Mac and they will be of a similar if not more expensive cost.
  • Reply 254 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoreyMac View Post

is there any real reason to purchase the MacBook Air over the $1599 MacBook? I mean really..... the MacBook is now 0.95" and 4.5lbs.....lighter and thinner....has wayy better specs than the Air, has a backlit keyboard, LED Screen and Multitouch Glass Touchpad (Air doesnt have this)......whats the you're paying $200-$1000 more for .19" thinness and 1.5lbs lighter.......but get far less. I used to think an updated Air would be what I desired, but after today there's no reason.

Nope, I've said long ago that if the new MB features an LED display, aluminum, and a backlit keyboard that the Air is completely ridiculous for 99% of the market. I personally have no use for a far inferior machine with a higher price tag just because it is thinner but not smaller in width and length (not to mention the Core shutdown issues).
  • Reply 255 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

The Nvidia 9400M isn't much to talk about either, a decent boost over Intel, but not that much.

The 9400 is much, much faster than the Intel GPU. The 9400 is also slightly faster and more efficient than the 8400 in the Sony SZ (which is a direct competitor).
  • Reply 256 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Nope, I've said long ago that if the new MB features an LED display, aluminum, and a backlit keyboard that the Air is completely ridiculous for 99% of the market. I personally have no use for a far inferior machine with a higher price tag just because it is thinner but not smaller in width and length (not to mention the Core shutdown issues).

At its price and functionality the Air was never meant for 99% of the market. The thinness and 1.5 pound difference can make a huge difference for someone who carries a notebook frequently along with books and papers and such.
  • Reply 257 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

can't you use a firewire-usb adapter??? or is that intrinsically wrong???

if not then its a big loss, but you all told me to buy triple interface HD and dvd externals

maybe apples solution is for timemachine to be "bootable" using superduper

boy am i glad i got triple iterface peripherals

no you can't:

some software is just really picky on what kind of port you use. if you would put an adapter from either ethernet of USb to firewire, the software would still see the USB or ethernet port (to the tech people on here: correct me if I'm wrong).

I have a couple of firewire audio interfaces that I use, mainly because I can daisy chain them together.

but to give some examples: the presonus firewire interface wouldn't even work on the newer MBP's because the firewire port on those was incompatible, eventhough it was a FW400, just a different type. also: I have one USB audio interface (mbox), that will only work on my frontside USB port, not the backside one (I have a blackBook). software can be THAT picky.

and especially with audio: if things aren't 100% compatible you can get pops, cracks and shutdowns. which is killing during a recording session.

now these interfaces aren't only used by pros, but everybody that makes music seems to have one: whether you are in a band, a singer/songwriter or a DJ. by including garageband in their OS package, apple has made a lot of music lovers into wannabe rockstars, and I see more and more people buying themselves into it.

but I might be biased because almost everybody I know does something with music, sound or film and a lot were waiting to upgrade their old portable computers.

for most of them the choice between $1000 or $2000 for a firewire option is just crazy, especially if you don't earn pro-money or want to carry around a bigger bag for the bigger laptop. now if only the whiteBook had better graphics, or the new macBook a firewire port.

PS: I did send in a complaint to: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

please everybody else do the same.
  • Reply 258 of 522

Common what about legacy firewire? we have tons of pro stuff driven by firewire !!!!!! How do you connect to an Audio Firewire Motu for example?? I have the V4HD......www.V4hd.com
  • Reply 259 of 522
    PLEASE!!

someone tell me if the step from 2.0 GHS to 2.4 significant.

does it outweigh the cost???

what improvement will i actually** notice.??
  • Reply 260 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pilottage View Post

Common what about legacy firewire? we have tons of pro stuff driven by firewire !!!!!! How do you connect to an Audio Firewire Motu for example?? I have the V4HD......www.V4hd.com

With any computer other than a MB or Air.