Notes of interest from Apple's MacBook event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

So, could DisplayPort be used for firewire? Is gigabit ethernet really slower than FW-400 for transferring files? (Couldn't Apple enable a target disk mode over ethernet?)

I'm actually starting to warm up to the lineup. Prices are higher than I would want, but it is a pretty good strategic decision. As for all the people griping about the lack of firewire in the MB... I think back to the 12" PB G4. It was nice looking, but missing a few important things for me.

I'm not sure how they will do it, but it looks like firewire is not going to be the solution long term.

I do hope they make TargetMode available by other means. I know of no technical reasons why it has to be FW. It's not something you think about or use often, but it sure is nice to have when you do need it.
  • Reply 22 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

With what cable? You can't get an USB-A <-> USB-A cable.

Ethernet is the most logical choice; just make the target computer act as as DCHP server and convert the machine to a network share.

They do make USB-A to USB-A cables with built -in bridge chips, but having a simple hub could work. Butyou're right, that isn't the easiest soltuion. Ethernet is. The port itself will determine which is the Rx and Tx so you don't need to worry about crossover cables for a direct connection. I think the only thing you have to do is turn on file sharing.
  • Reply 23 of 96
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) They have NIVIDIA chips that may out perform the rest of the market (need to wait on independent testing).

2) They have the future-forward DisplayPort

3) They have 5 hour batter life in their notebooks (need to wait for independent testing to verify)

4) A multi-gesture trackpad with multiple possiblities, when Synaptic is just now trying to get Windows and Windows apps to utilize the new multi-gesture drivers they recently announced, while Apple has been using it for a year.

5) THe new case design (but I still need some technical breakdowns as to how this benefits the average user)

6) Brighter and better displays

7) All aluminium case that employees a tazer when a user password is typed incorrectly too many times.

8) Retinal scanner via the iSight camera & palm print identification via the glass trackpad.

Thank you for answering all my questions. I guess being little sad or mad makes your forget all the other wonderful things about Apple. =)

For a moment I though you were a press person from Apple Legal.
  • Reply 24 of 96
    There is a VERY good reason why they don't make regular USB-A to USB-A cables (though Linksys did use them for their Wi-Fi adapters about 7-10 years ago).

Connecting one computer directly to another computer through their USB ports would fry both their motherboards. Hence, the USB crossover cables that allow you to do this safely, IF you can find one. Even so, USB only supports 33Mb/s throughput, so Gigabit Ethernet is the only way to go with any useful speed.
  • Reply 25 of 96
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Ethernet is the most logical choice; just make the target computer act as as DCHP server and convert the machine to a network share.

This assumes both Macs are bootable. Many a time I've used Target Disk Mode to repair/rescue a Mac whose HD was on the fritz. If the OS is fried, sometimes other data can be accessed. Or DiskWarrior can revive it. That's something no WiFi or Ethernet connection can provide.

I will strongly encourage all I advise to avoid the FireWire-less MacBooks. They look good now, but they'll look like crud the moment I tell an owner "No, I can't get your data off. I could have if you'd gotten this other model though..."
  • Reply 26 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iedsri View Post

Can someone please explain what the new alternative is for transferring files between a MacBook and another computer? How are we expected to proceed without FireWire? USB doesn't work, so what are we supposed to do??

Thanks.

Networking. Learn how to use it.
  • Reply 27 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

This assumes both Macs are bootable. Many a time I've used Target Disk Mode to repair/rescue a Mac whose HD was on the fritz. If the OS is fried, sometimes other data can be accessed. Or DiskWarrior can revive it. That's something no WiFi or Ethernet connection can provide.

I will strongly encourage all I advise to avoid the FireWire-less MacBooks. They look good now, but they'll look like crud the moment I tell an owner "No, I can't get your data off. I could have if you'd gotten this other model though..."

Remove the access cover, pop out the hard drive, plug it in to the other machine. SATA -> USB adapters run about $15 and really come in handy.
  • Reply 28 of 96
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I found these quotes from the Q&A after the event interesting...

(quotes from the Ars Technica coverage of the event)

Quote:

Someone asked about touchscreens and if they make sense, and Steve said no, not right now

-"Can we see a netbook from Apple soon? and does the 17" MacBook Pro come out with the rest of them?" Steve says 17" is around now, but it's not updated like the new ones are updated. Steve says netbooks are a new market and "we'll see how it goes."

And a pressing thought, will the new MacBook Pros be able (via a firmware upgrade I would suppose), once Snow Leopard is released, to run video output on one GPU & run OpenCL stuff on the other GPU AT THE SAME TIME...?!?

That could be a good selling point.

And, as I mentioned in another thread...

Can we get the OS to recognize 'zones' in regards to display focus & input devices (keyboard/trackpad/mouse). So if I am reading email on the laptop display, the laptop keyboard & trackpad are 'focused' on activities on the laptop display only.

Same for the 24" display, I want the OS to recognize that I have video spanning on and regulate the extension display to input from an attached USB keyboard & mouse.

Almost like running a laptop & a desktop side-by-side, but the laptop is the only machine there, with the attached 24" LED Cinema Display serving as seperate workspace.

Like Expose, just different...
  • Reply 29 of 96
    i bought one 1 year ago, and it looks nearly 1:1 to the new cinemadisplay, but only costs half of the apple one.
  • Reply 30 of 96
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

i bought one 1 year ago, and it looks nearly 1:1 to the new cinemadisplay, but only costs half of the apple one.

Riiight. That display design has been around for how many years? And who came up with it? It wasn't HP. It was Apple.

Half the price? Does the HP knockoff have a built-in iSight camera, mic, and speakers? Does it have a MagSafe connector that powers and charges your laptop?

http://www.apple.com/displays/features.html
  • Reply 31 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Remember your AVERAGE MacBook buyer is a PC switcher and FireWire sounds like something dangerous to them.

Thanks, but I'll take the MacBook, Mummy said I mustn't play with fire.
  • Reply 32 of 96
    Quote:

3) They have 5 hour batter life in their notebooks.

Wow! And competitors only have up to 19 hours!
  • Reply 33 of 96
    Quote:

7) All aluminium case that employees a tazer when a user password is typed incorrectly too many times.

8) Retinal scanner via the iSight camera & palm print identification via the glass trackpad.

Wait... what? you're kidding right? To many things to guess about at 1:30am...
  • Reply 34 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmrtzzz View Post

Wow! And competitors only have up to 19 hours!

uhhhh show me a 13-15" "comparable" laptop with 19 hours of battery life.
  • Reply 35 of 96
    If Mini DisplayPort is compatible with DVI, and DVI and HDMI are compatible, wouldn't it be quite straightforward for someone to make a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter cable, including audio?
  • Reply 36 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

If Mini DisplayPort is compatible with DVI, and DVI and HDMI are compatible, wouldn't it be quite straightforward for someone to make a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter cable, including audio?

Expect to see one of those popping up soon.
  • Reply 37 of 96
    edorfedorf Posts: 29member
    Hoped for better prices.

The only one that went down was the old Macbook; $100 in the US store, only $20 in the Norwegian store. Otherwise prices are UP $200 on every model.

Apple has gotten all their enthusiasts onboard now. They need to have computer?s ready for the rest, with lower prices, not higher. Hard to understand the politic.
  • Reply 38 of 96
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Oh man four finger gestures is where it's at. I'm such an exposé ho already.

Somewhere in the world there is a war veteran with only three fingers crying himself to sleep right now.
  • Reply 39 of 96
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

For Firewire, Lamenting

I feel your pain.

It was a bad decision on Apple's part, no matter what the Apple Apologista Squad™ has to say about it.

• Reply 40 of 96
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edorf View Post

Hoped for better prices.

The only one that went down was the old Macbook; $100 in the US store, only $20 in the Norwegian store. Otherwise prices are UP $200 on every model.

Apple has gotten all their enthusiasts onboard now. They need to have computer’s ready for the rest, with lower prices, not higher. Hard to understand the politic.

Steve's just too in love with his big, fat margins. He probably dreams about 'em at night.

Because they pad the stock price, and Steve-o figures that he can gain share slowly but surely against the Windows world forever and ever amen, without going for the marketshare kill-shot that he could've done long ago.

Doesn't make a lotta sense... at some point, you'd have to figure that the huge mobs of potential PC switchers who would buy a Mac if *only* Apple competed in some more attractive pricepoints would OUTWEIGH the cash that Steve pulls down by wringing out the Mac faithful and PC switcher 'early adopters' for every last dime.

But who knows? Maybe Steve just likes keeping Mac ownership an exclusive club, with 4 percent worldwide marketshare. Somehow it's okay for the iPod to dominate, but the Mac can't ever TRULY bust loose and terrorize MS and the PC makers the way it's capable of, 'cuz Steve doesn't want to play in the upper reaches of the sub-$1000 market... aside from the Mac Mini.

It's a cryin' shame.

edit- Oh, and I'm sure that the $999 MacPlastiBook is a endangered species, in the same way that the $999 iMac went extinct. The second Stevie can, the PlastiBook is g-o-n-e, and the notebook lineup starts at $1299. Woo..... hoo.