MBP LED display hurts my eyes!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
it's strange, my eyes really start to really hurt after a few minutes with my the new LED Macbook Pro. I'm assuming it has to do with the method used to dim the display. It's like knives in my sockets...! headache inducing..

The other odd thing is after using the display for while, everything has a sort of rose colored tint to it when I look around the room and out the window. The display itself is really a lot more yellow than a normal LCD. I tried calibrating it with an Eye-One display2 but it's the same thing. I know these displays use blue LED with a yellow coating.. To my eyes something is really unnatural about the spectrum it produces.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    Do bright lights in general hurt? If yes get your eyes checked you could have an issue.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    remcoyremcoy Posts: 4member
    No, Its not the brightness..

The display actually cases the most eye strain when I lower the brightness a few clicks. It's almost as if there is a strange refresh frequency or something. It reminds me of when I look at a DLP television- those things drive me crazy too..

The color thing I described is similar to when you look at one color for a while, like bright red for example, then look away and everything looks green ..etc.. when you overload the cones in your retina.

To me, the LED lighting is just really odd and unnatural, and the method they used to adjust the brightness of the backlight (PWM) gives me a headache...
  • Reply 3 of 36
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Ive had mine for almost a month now and mine isnt yellowish in tint or does it make you see other colors after having worked on it all afternoon. Its bright all right, but I keep it turned down if its not connected in and up when its plugged in and the lighting really needs to be up. id get not only your eyes checked out but maybe visit an apple store to see if something is up with the monitior. we dont want people having seizures due to the new LED backlights like kids did in Japan when Pekemon came out...
  • Reply 4 of 36
    remcoyremcoy Posts: 4member
    I re-applied the Macbook Pro Software Update 1.0, and the display seems much more stable. No more Eye strain when I lower the brightness... whoa that was really strange.

It's still yellow of course. Still throws off color. Time to send it back..
  • Reply 5 of 36
    oxidoxid Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by remcoy View Post

I re-applied the Macbook Pro Software Update 1.0, and the display seems much more stable. No more Eye strain when I lower the brightness... whoa that was really strange.

Try calibrating your display!!!, if it has a yellow tint in only a little part of the screen it is faulty but if your whole screen is yellowish, just calibrate it in expert mode and you'll get much nicer results!
  • Reply 6 of 36
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I find that the LED screens look yellowish when viewed from an angle. When properly calibrated though, they are just fine from straight on.

As for the eye pain... is it possible you've simply been staring at the screen for too long? I know, it's hard to put down your new MBP isn't it.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    I bought brand new macbook pro 2.5 MHz in 2008.06.27 and I have the same problem. After 30 minutes of work with the macbook pro, my eyes hurt like well. It's going back to the store.

It?s time to say "I DID NOT SWITCH TO MAC!"
  • Reply 8 of 36
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by remcoy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nuno.Cardoso View Post

I bought brand new macbook pro 2.5 MHz in 2008.06.27 and I have the same problem. After 30 minutes of work with the macbook pro, my eyes hurt like well. It's going back to the store.

Run the calibration program, Sys Preferences, Colour, etc, this is important to try first.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

You cannot please everyone, of course, but I do think you may want to, pardon the expression, "have your eyes examined."
  • Reply 10 of 36
    mr fishmr fish Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Hey, before you give up, give the 13" Macbook a try (it uses a different display).
  • Reply 11 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

You cannot please everyone, of course, but I do think you may want to, pardon the expression, "have your eyes examined."

How would that help? If CCFL displays don't cause a problem, then I think there may be something about how the LED backlight operates that might be harsher.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Interesting!

Actually - I'm not quite an apple insider

BUT:

I'm posting this SIGHTINGS posting - just to show you how many people

OVER THE PAST YEARS

have been complaining about computer monitors - in all sorts of ways:

you guys are now in here too:

http://com3.runboard.com/bcomputermonitorpain.f2.t39
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

My eyes are fine.

I really want to switch to Mac?Do I have to buy a macbook (old screen technology)?

Someone with same symptoms ?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1677617
  • Reply 14 of 36
    This is my first comment on line ever so pls. excuse me if my etiquette isn't correct.

Ive been a designer for 12 years and have used Macs and Mac monitors my whole life....

I recently bought an imac 24" and i get a headaches within 5 mins of use...my eyes ache for about an hour after use. I also have an older imac 20" (non LED) and i can be on it for as long as i like...sometimes i have to work through the night if the deadline is tight and can be staring at the older 20" (non LED) screen up to 8 hours at a time...no issues at all...both iMacs are professionally calibrated regularly.

I went to get my eyes checked out at the optometrist....as my eyes are my lively hood....they spent almsot an hour checking every conceiveable thing and they said my eyes were in perfect shape.

2 of my designer friends also invested in the new iMac 24" and both have complained about getting eye strain which turns into a head ache.

Im Mac's bigest fan but i feel that the glass screen is not a positive step foward for designers as the glass reflects other light sources from windows etc....also the glass screens seems to add in contrast that really isnt there when the image goes to print......

I went into my local mac shop and spoke to one of the staff about my problem and the guy surving me said he was experiencing the same issue but he thought it was just his eyes....he advised i purchase an anti glare screen for my monitor though Apple dosnt make any yet.

So im now back onto my old 20" Imac and ive just sold the 24" iMac.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

My eyes are fine.

I really want to switch to Mac?Do I have to buy a macbook (old screen technology)?

Someone with same symptoms ?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1677617

If the screen is defective, just take it back and have them replace it. I don't see the need for drama.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

If the screen is defective, just take it back and have them replace it. I don't see the need for drama.

The drama is on your part. How did you diagnose that the screen was defective? Just because his doctor didn't find anything wrong with his eyes doesn't mean that he the screen is defective. I've had the same problem with HP flat panel monitors and I had to revert back to CRT. Eventually I will try an ACD, but I'm still a little bit leery about having the same problem as the reader you referred to as being perhaps a great actor.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

But it may be the underlying technology itself. Maybe the different kind of pulsing of the LED backlight is bothersome to some people in ways that the CCFL backlights didn't exhibit. Not everyone has the same biology, some people can see higher frequency light pulses more than others. This happened with CRT and DLP as well. A lot of people don't see 60Hz refresh flicker, others needed 75+ Hz to make it look stable to them. 1x and 2x color wheels on DLPs can be bothersome to some, but a lot of people just don't notice it. It's not a matter of device defects or bad eyes, on a way, the eyes were too good to be fooled.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessie View Post

This is my first comment on line ever so pls. excuse me if my etiquette isn't correct.

Ive been a designer for 12 years and have used Macs and Mac monitors my whole life....

I recently bought an imac 24" and i get a headaches within 5 mins of use...

I went to get my eyes checked out at the optometrist....as my eyes are my lively hood....

...So im now back onto my old 20" Imac and ive just sold the 24" iMac.

I'm really sorry to hear of your problems, but all I can say is that I've never had or used a better Mac than the iMac 24" and I use it constantly. I love the screen and my eyes are doing fine. It may be that some folks have physical problems with some way they view the screen or the way they either light, don't light, back light, overhead light, or front light the screen causing problems, but the idea that there's something wrong with the display is just too far out for me to credit.

I have no doubt you have a problem and for you Jessie, I'm sure it is severe, but this cannot be either a glossy screen, LED, or other kind of problem we can accuse Apple of manufacturing.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

I have no doubt you have a problem and for you Jessie, I'm sure it is severe, but this cannot be either a glossy screen, LED, or other kind of problem we can accuse Apple of manufacturing.

You're pretty strongly ruling things out here. You don't think any of the possible reasons I put forth are plausible?

Your argument boils down to: "it works for me, therefore it must work for everyone", which is irresponsible when there are alternative explanations.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You're pretty strongly ruling things out here. You don't think any of the possible reasons I put forth are plausible?

Your argument boils down to: "it works for me, therefore it must work for everyone", which is irresponsible when there are alternative explanations.

Actually, Jeff, I think you have your response reversed; your post and Jessie's problem implies that "It doesn't work for me, so it's not working for anyone else." I merely said "It works for me," trying to move the discussion from "design flaw" to "personal problem" level. How many people take into consideration all the ergonomic factors into their planning I do not know, but a good chair, distance from the screen, side lighting, or other factors are just as likely, or at least plausible things to consider before blinding by Apple becomes a real possibility.

Once again, I'm sure Jessie had the problem described. I just don't think that Apple threw the product out there without a rather extensive testing of the kinds of issues this thread seems to be discussing.