Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook

Comments

• Reply 361 of 522
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryan330 View Post

I understand your points about the old MacBook, but I think you failed to understand my points about the new MacBook. Steve Jobs is not an idiot. He single handedly leads the computer industry. If he made a choice to drop a certain type of port from his best selling line of computers of all time, he must have had good evidence to support his decision. If firewire is the only means of rescuing harddrives and transferring data, then clearly this would have been a bad decision. Apple is not that stupid, however. I am not a computer EXPERT, so I can't rattle of different means of doing what you described off the top of my head, but i guarantee you there are ways to solve those issues without a firewire port. The times are changing in the computer industry and Apple clearly feels as though its time to phase out firewire.

Ryan

We're going to see. I'm just not a fan of USB nor am I an fan of computers with premium pricing without the commensurate premium hardware. The video market isn't going to be that bad but audio market is going to be affected a bit more.
  • Reply 362 of 522
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Ryan

We're going to see. I'm just not a fan of USB nor am I an fan of computers with premium pricing without the commensurate premium hardware. The video market isn't going to be that bad but audio market is going to be affected a bit more.

I don't understand the "audio has to have FireWire" argument. Video needs more bandwidth than audio. The video signal is larger and has at least one sometimes two audio tracks.
  • Reply 363 of 522
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't understand the "audio has to have FireWire" argument. Video needs more bandwidth than audio. The video signal is larger and has at least one sometimes two audio tracks.

USB is fine when you simply need to take bunch of data and send it over the pipe but where it doesn't match up to Firewire is the ability for some streams to be protected. Multitrack audio is different than video in that you can have 60 tracks and effects going off one moment and then barely anything.

I know that in audio ..many engineers just don't trust USB. Many will fork out the extra money for a MBP but at the same time they'll know they've been handled by Apple.

Firewire was the basis for Yamaha's failed mLAN technology that had audio and midi and control signals all on the same cable. USB most likely would have been a poor replacement.
  • Reply 364 of 522
    Quote:

USB is fine when you simply need to take bunch of data and send it over the pipe but where it doesn't match up to Firewire is the ability for some streams to be protected. Multitrack audio is different than video in that you can have 60 tracks and effects going off one moment and then barely anything.

I know that in audio ..many engineers just don't trust USB. Many will fork out the extra money for a MBP but at the same time they'll know they've been handled by Apple.

Ok I gotcha. I imagine Apple would rather these people bought MBP.

From Apple's perspective their aren't nearly as many audio engineers as their are PC switchers who have not and will not use FireWire.
  • Reply 365 of 522
    Quote:

Ryan

Yes, we certainly will. However, what you just described, the video market and audio market, typically buy Pro level macs, which as you know, still have a firewire port.
  • Reply 366 of 522
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

From Apple's perspective their aren't nearly as many audio engineers as their are PC switchers who have not and will not use FireWire.

Perhaps but the audio pros also buy software like logic and that stuff isn't cheap. I'm sure they've done the math and still feel like they'll come out ahead but it's a shitty way to treat the pro users.

These were the people that kept Apple alive in the dark days.
  • Reply 367 of 522
    Quote:

The best selling HP Pavillion has Firewire, card reader and Expresscard 34 slots. What's Apple's excuse for removing a feature that is on most PC consumer laptops?

As if apple should copy everything on PC laptops. Terrible argument.

I very much doubt that for the majority of people FW is an issue. Sure, lots of people are complaining, but many of them on behalf of a small minority. USB works well, and for that one unique FW-only device, the vast majority of users will allready have a mac in their household that still has FW.

The slight reduction in CPU speed is more than offset by the faster bus and GPU. Likely, you can get better hardware specs for this money from a cheap PC, but what does that buy you on a machine that doesn't run mac OS? The hardware specs are hardly relevant in the comparison. For the past months, all I've seen on this forum are people complaining about the GPU. You've got what you asked for, stop whining.

Personally, I've always disliked the cheap plastic MB enclosure, but can't justify getting a MBP just for that reason.
  • Reply 368 of 522
    Quote:

I understand your points about the old MacBook, but I think you failed to understand my points about the new MacBook. Steve Jobs is not an idiot. He single handedly leads the computer industry. If he made a choice to drop a certain type of port from his best selling line of computers of all time, he must have had good evidence to support his decision. If firewire is the only means of rescuing harddrives and transferring data, then clearly this would have been a bad decision. Apple is not that stupid, however. I am not a computer EXPERT, so I can't rattle of different means of doing what you described off the top of my head, but i guarantee you there are ways to solve those issues without a firewire port. The times are changing in the computer industry and Apple clearly feels as though its time to phase out firewire.

first of all: if you don't have any peripherals that use firewire you don't know what the issue is about and shouldn't even be in this discussion.

secondly: it looks like you didn't read through the whole thread, just jumped in at the end. because there are numerous posts that explain the use for firewire in different areas than just rescuing harddrives.

thirdly: some pro editing software have security built in so the user can't blame the software manufacturer for not functioning at full capacity: the software will just ignore certain peripherals when not plugged into a proper firewire port, converter plug or not.

and last: yes: the industry might be moving away from firewire in the end, but since the life-cycle of most hardware is longer than those of laptops, it would have been logical to wait until all of those have switched to a new platform and most old peripherals had died before stopping support on those. it will cost me and others like me thousands of dollars to replace those for similar USB driven ones.

and please don't anybody post another link to a camera or interface that has USB. yes there are some that do, but that doesn't help if you don't have the money to replace all of the old hardware. I'm also not going to post links here to hardware that will run on USB1.0

Quote:

the audio tracks that come with film are usually at lower bitrate than pro-audio.

a typical audio interface has 8 channels of audio coming in, some midi data, and 2 to 8 channels of audio going out. it is also very common to daisy chain two or more audio interfaces together (with firewire) to be able to record more than 8 tracks at the same time (a drum kit typically already uses 10 channels alone), making sure that even more data is going through. and unlike the video transfer with a couple of glitches, you cannot try to transfer it again with audio because it was a live recording session. you will have lost the moment.

I seriously cannot see any current option other than firewire to have a smooth recording session.

and I need the laptop to be as small as possible (while having enough screen space for the software), because I already am carrying interfaces and microphones with me too. (I have a really neat suitcase that perfectly fits my macBook, an external drive and one audio interface. a 15" macBook pro would fit in). at home or in the studio I will hook it up to a larger screen.
  • Reply 369 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooped View Post

f

and please don't anybody post another link to a camera or interface that has USB. yes there are some that do, but that doesn't help if you don't have the money to replace all of the old hardware. I'm also not going to post links here to hardware that will run on USB1.0

I keep posting links to cameras that use USB to show that video is moving away from FireWire. The only reason you wouldn't want to see the links is to not face the truth.

Whether or not you have the money to replace hardware is a different issue. You people act as though the new MacBook is your only option. If you need FireWire right now. You should just simply stay with the set up you currently have now. Or purchase an earlier MacBook. They worked perfectly fine before the new announcement. They will work perfectly fine after the new announcement.

Quote:

the audio tracks that come with film are usually at lower bitrate than pro-audio.

a typical audio interface has 8 channels of audio coming in, some midi data, and 2 to 8 channels of audio going out.

Yes I know the audio is at a lower bit-rate. But Pro Audio doesn't ever have to carry both video and audio.
  • Reply 370 of 522
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

. Or purchase an earlier MacBook. They worked perfectly fine before the new announcement. They will work perfectly fine after the new announcement.

I predict refurbed blackbooks will be highly sought after and will sell out quickly at the Apple store.
  • Reply 371 of 522
    Quote:

first of all: if you don't have any peripherals that use firewire you don't know what the issue is about and shouldn't even be in this discussion.

secondly: it looks like you didn't read through the whole thread, just jumped in at the end. because there are numerous posts that explain the use for firewire in different areas than just rescuing harddrives.

thirdly: some pro editing software have security built in so the user can't blame the software manufacturer for not functioning at full capacity: the software will just ignore certain peripherals when not plugged into a proper firewire port, converter plug or not.

and last: yes: the industry might be moving away from firewire in the end, but since the life-cycle of most hardware is longer than those of laptops, it would have been logical to wait until all of those have switched to a new platform and most old peripherals had died before stopping support on those. it will cost me and others like me thousands of dollars to replace those for similar USB driven ones.

a typical audio interface has 8 channels of audio coming in, some midi data, and 2 to 8 channels of audio going out. it is also very common to daisy chain two or more audio interfaces together (with firewire) to be able to record more than 8 tracks at the same time (a drum kit typically already uses 10 channels alone), making sure that even more data is going through. and unlike the video transfer with a couple of glitches, you cannot try to transfer it again with audio because it was a live recording session. you will have lost the moment.

I seriously cannot see any current option other than firewire to have a smooth recording session.

and I need the laptop to be as small as possible (while having enough screen space for the software), because I already am carrying interfaces and microphones with me too. (I have a really neat suitcase that perfectly fits my macBook, an external drive and one audio interface. a 15" macBook pro would fit in). at home or in the studio I will hook it up to a larger screen.

My point about peripherals: I consider myself an average consumer, being an average consumer, I have a limited amount of peripherals. I would be very surprised if the average mac consumer had more peripherals than me (camera, hard drive, printer, things like that). Guess what, the MacBook is targeted at the average consumer, not the Pro consumer.

In your "last" point, peripherals are moving over to USB more and more. Cameras, hard drives, things that the average consumer uses. If Apple is going to phase out the firewire, it makes sense to phase it out first with consumers who use firewire the least.

And then finally, in your "third" point, pro-editing software.... what percentage of the average MacBook consumer uses such programs? My guess? Less than 2%.

And in case you are interested, I read the whole thread, so don't call me out.
  • Reply 372 of 522
    Quote:

Here are my 2 Cents on the new MacBook.

The MacBook is a consumer product. It always has been and it always will be. It won't have all of the features of a Pro model. We should all be thankful that the new Macbooks were even given such great graphics among MANY other very very nice upgrades.

For me, and I would only assume many other people, the lack of a firewire is a NON ISSUE. I am a college student. I have an external hard drive and a digital camera, both of which have USB cords. Along with my printer, those are the only peripherals I use. To the average consumer, I would assume that is about all of the types of peripherals one might use. I have never once in my life needed a firewire cord other than when using old school iPods.

I don't think Steve would go out on a whim and delete a firewire port from his BEST SELLING PRODUCT EVER without extensive market research. Clearly, his research must have shown than on the whole, not a great deal of his consumers use firewire. People who are heart broken over the firewire issue are either a minority of computer users or are expecting too much out of a compact consumer apple product.

I bought the first Macbook sold at my local Apple store around noon today. It wasn't even on display in the store as the shipment was just delivered. Bought the 2.4GHz, 250G HD model for $1499. with the education discount. It is Absolutely Spectacular! All positive, nothing negative. What a machine!
  • Reply 373 of 522
    Quote:

Whether or not you have the money to replace hardware is a different issue. You people act as though the new MacBook is your only option. If you need FireWire right now. You should just simply stay with the set up you currently have now. Or purchase an earlier MacBook. They worked perfectly fine before the new announcement. They will work perfectly fine after the new announcement.

no they didn't.

after editing film, we have to go to a pro studio to "bounce to tape" because the previous graphics card couldn't handle that.

I was planning on selling my macBook when the new ones came out to buy that one, so I wouldn't have to hire a profession studio just to do that. now I can't, because I need firewire for it too.

giving better graphics but no firewire is like building a waterwell for a village but only supply them with a colander to get to it..
  • Reply 374 of 522
    Quote:

And then finally, in your "third" point, pro-editing software.... what percentage of the average MacBook consumer uses such programs? My guess? Less than 2%.

less than 2% is still 73.000 "portable mac" sales per year.
  • Reply 375 of 522
    Quote:

You don't know Apple's history.

10 years ago Apple did not slowly transition from P2 ports and floppy disks. They just stopped using them. One day they had a new computer with USB, FireWire, and CD player when their were few peripherals that could use them.

This was a much bigger deal because P2 ports and floppy disks were industry standard used by everyone. Apple just abandoned them cold. FireWire has never been as ubiquitous.
  • Reply 376 of 522
    Quote:

no they didn't.

after editing film, we have to go to a pro studio to "bounce to tape" because the previous graphics card couldn't handle that.

I was planning on selling my macBook when the new ones came out to buy that one, so I wouldn't have to hire a profession studio just to do that. now I can't, because I need firewire for it too.

giving better graphics but no firewire is like building a waterwell for a village but only supply them with a colander to get to it..

Sounds like you expect a consumer machine to do a professional job. Is the problem with the MacBook or your expectation.
  • Reply 377 of 522
    Quote:

no they didn't.

I feel like it would be cheaper for you to spend an extra $400 on a computer than hire a professional studio to help with your work all the time. Your demands require a pro level mac, not a consumer level mac.
  • Reply 378 of 522
    Quote:

You don't know Apple's history.

10 years ago Apple did not slowly transition from P2 ports and floppy disks. They just stopped using them. One day they had a new computer with USB, FireWire, and CD player when their were few peripherals that could use them.

This was a much bigger deal because P2 ports and floppy disks were industry standard used by everyone. Apple just abandoned them cold. FireWire has never been as ubiquitous.

but there was still a way to plug the floppy drive into a USB port so it wasn't rendered useless.

this is not the case with firewire peripherals..

Quote:

I feel like it would be cheaper for you to spend an extra $400 on a computer than hire a professional studio to help with your work all the time. Your demands require a pro level mac, not a consumer level mac.

the studio is owned by a friend of mine, so I can use it for free.

and even though my use might pro, my income is still very amateur..

plus I really don't have room or use for a 15" laptop, and nevertheless I shouldn't be forced to lay down another 700 euro for the use of a firewire port that is already there on the 300 euro cheaper version. that comes down to a 1000 euro ($1400) price increase just for the use of a better graphics card..
  • Reply 379 of 522
    Quote:

but there was still a way to plug the floppy drive into a USB port so it wasn't rendered useless.

this is not the case with firewire peripherals..

90% of peripherals that have FireWire ports also have USB ports. Most computer devices are not rendered useless. Firewire only is an extremely extremely small percentage.
  • Reply 380 of 522
    Quote:

90% of peripherals that have FireWire ports also have USB ports. Most computer devices are not rendered useless. Firewire only is an extremely extremely small percentage.

firewire and USB are not just backwards compatible with a converter plug, floppy and USB were.

plus it seems like you are talking about external hard drives.

firewire cameras or audio interfaces usually don't also have USB. (I believe)