Notes of interest from Apple's MacBook event

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

This probably isn't the right thread for this but I'm hoping somebody can help me out - about how long does it take before Amazon gets the new MB/MBPs? I ask because the tax I have to pay at Apple is greater than the discount I get so it seems rather silly of me to buy it from Apple when it's cheaper from Amazon.

Also, maybe a little help here. I'm pretty torn up between the 1299 MB, the 1599MB and the 1999 MBP. I've got a firewire external but it has a USB port on it, I'm not really worried about the HD since I can get a 320GB 7200RPM drive OEM drive from tigerdirect for $80 but I'm a sucker for the backlit keyboard (call me superficial). If the 1599 came with 4GB of RAM I'd certainly be all over that but I don't know if the upgrade from 2GHz to 2.4GHz is worth the $300 - any thoughts on the subject?

FWIW I'm upgrading from a 12" PB so if anybody else is in my boat I'd love to hear what they are doing.

thanks!

Well let's put it this way. If HP can put a Firewire port on a sub $800 laptop then you would think Apple could do so, especially at $1299. The MBP should have two FW ports like it's predecessor. I'm still using an old Powerbook G4. I use one of the FW ports for a pro audio interface and the other for an external HD. In my opinion USB 2 has a lot to be desired. It looks like Apple is caving into a certain company (MS) to the north. Microsoft is one of the major proponents of USB. There used something special about Apple stuff. Not any more. Hopefully the people at Apple will change their minds. I myself am going to wait and see what happens.
  • Reply 82 of 96
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

uhhhh show me a 13-15" "comparable" laptop with 19 hours of battery life.

The Dell Latitude E Series claims upto 19 hours of battery life. This is with the primary 9-cell battery and a secondary 6-cell "slice" battery on the 15.4 inch notebook. Does that count as "comparable?" I would guess that you'd find a similar configuration with a Lenovo.
  • Reply 83 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dposxfan View Post

Well let's put it this way. If HP can put a Firewire port on a sub $800 laptop then you would think Apple could do so, especially at $1299. The MBP should have two FW ports like it's predecessor. I'm still using an old Powerbook G4. I use one of the FW ports for a pro audio interface and the other for an external HD. In my opinion USB 2 has a lot to be desired. It looks like Apple is caving into a certain company (MS) to the north. Microsoft is one of the major proponents of USB. There used something special about Apple stuff. Not any more. Hopefully the people at Apple will change their minds. I myself am going to wait and see what happens.

Don't know if you saw my other post but I picked up the previous gen 2.5GHz MBP w/ 512MB Graphics card for about $200 more than the 13.3" w/ a slower processor, onboard video and no FW. I think I made I good choice (of course feel free to tell me I'm a moron at any point in time )
  • Reply 84 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Fanboys are fun, getting so defensive over minor things. ^_^

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/d...M712AA%2523ABA

the Cinema Display has a few extra features but the HP is cheaper and matches the Cinema Display on resolution, screen size, contrast ratio, and the USB port, and it's the first 3 that are more important in a display than speakers, peripheral ports, or cameras.

Sebastian

I think it is important to point out that this HP is a cheap TN panel; hence its price point. If you can live with one of these... fine. But there is no comparison to the look of an ACD regardless of how the specs read. And certainly not a minor thing. Feel free to read all of the online reviews of the HP if you won't take my word for it.
  • Reply 85 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edorf View Post

Hoped for better prices.

The only one that went down was the old Macbook; $100 in the US store, only $20 in the Norwegian store. Otherwise prices are UP $200 on every model.

Apple has gotten all their enthusiasts onboard now. They need to have computer?s ready for the rest, with lower prices, not higher. Hard to understand the politic.

If half of all the macs being sold are to new users, then I think they are providing something for the rest of people.

How much did you want to spend?
  • Reply 86 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

Or a 13" MacBook Pro with all the MBP features including f/w.

QUES: Why a glass touchpad?

Can anyone give me one single reason why it should be glass instead of any other substance? Glass is heavier. And don't give me the "it allowed them to precisely tune the friction coefficient" because that could be done with metals.

ANS: There is going to be a display touchpad.

THAT is the kind of market-leaping innovation apple's known for. It's got the technology, the reputation, and the ability to make it make our computers work better for us, in ways we can't even imagine now. So my inclination is to wait for MWSF to see if they introduce it then.

(in fairness, i waited through two, maybe three MWSFs for an iPhone announcement, before it finally came. So the display-touchpad may be quite a ways in the future.)

A Display touchpad would have you looking at the touchpad, not the screen.

You wanted a metal touchpad instead of glass, but expect a display touchpad in the future?
  • Reply 87 of 96
    moksmoks Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

USB 3.0 supports full-duplex transfers so will it be able to do target disk mode? Even if it can't, USB 3.0 will be faster than FireWire400 and since Apple redesigned the MacBook it makes perfect sense to not include a FireWire port.

I'm sure USB 3.0 will be very nice, but it's not here yet. Why not keep firewire until it is?
  • Reply 88 of 96
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Macs without a FireWire port such as the MacBook Air do NOT support Target Disk Mode.

Migration Assistant can however transfer files over WiFi or Ethernet.

Is it as quick? No

Is it as efficient? No

Will it be sufficient for most PowerUsers? No

Will it be sufficient for most consumers and PC switchers? Yes

Remember your AVERAGE MacBook buyer is a PC switcher and FireWire sounds like something dangerous to them. They didn't have it on their PC and won't miss it on their new MacBook.

I'm hoping we will see a 15" MacBook with FireWire in January.

Hey Johnny (or anyone who knows)

Is it faster to use migration assistant over USB 2.0 or Ethernet? And how much slower are each of these than firewire? Also, does the older computer have to be in some certain mode for the migration assistant to work properly?

Any info along these lines would be helpful.
  • Reply 89 of 96
    edorfedorf Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boondox View Post

If half of all the macs being sold are to new users, then I think they are providing something for the rest of people.

How much did you want to spend?

It's not a question of how much I want to spend, I am an enthusiast(!) or was untill now

It's my friends and my 60-year-old neighbor and so on that has one wall with Macs and one wall with PCs in the computer store to choose between. For them this is a store with computers and they want a reasonable price.

Macs from $1299

PC from $499

Okey, lets put some quality in here and we buy a computer for $799, still they choose the PC. Big surprice? Not any more. Sorry Apple but me selling for you isn't gonna be easy now
  • Reply 90 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Leaving Firewire off entirely is beyond stupid.

Incredibly grating.
  • Reply 91 of 96
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 92 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Is this in anyway true? The old MBPs could take 8GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM, the fastest RAM that come in 4GB SODIMMs, so is just just poor judgement on iFixit's part or has Apple changed something?
    "Apple is sticking with 32-bit chipsets for their portables, so you'll be stuck at 4GB RAM forever with this machine."

Here is someone that has done it.
    Like with the pre-Santa Rosa 4GB addressing limitation that would allow you to use only about 3.25Gb minus any discrete GPU memory addressing, I assume that you can only have 8GB of total address space, so we are talking about 7.25GB minus ny discrete GPU memory addressing,
  • Reply 93 of 96
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Fanboys are fun, getting so defensive over minor things. ^_^

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/d...M712AA%2523ABA

I'm guessing that's the display the one you replied to was talking about, it has integrated speakers, HDMI and DVI instead of DisplayPort, naturally there's no MagSafe since Apple owns all the patents on that and refuses to license it, but no it doesn't have the iSight, although a webcam could easily be picked up for less than $100 and probably be better quality than the iSight, and unlike the Cinema Display, it doesn't give fanboys and marketing types a greengasm. They do look similar, but only if you overlook the glass on the Cinema Display, and the likely reason that it costs more is the one thing you didn't list above: the LED backlights, I don't see anything on the HP's specs saying that it uses LED backlighting, so it's a cost/benefit tradeoff, the Cinema Display has a few extra features but the HP is cheaper and matches the Cinema Display on resolution, screen size, contrast ratio, and the USB port, and it's the first 3 that are more important in a display than speakers, peripheral ports, or cameras.

Sebastian

Nice post but you missed the point. While they are similar displays, they aren't identical in either specs nor quality. Nor did Apple copy the design as implied. If your definition of fanboy is someone who dislikes inaccuracies then you hit the nail on the head.

However, we can dispense with the "fanboy" type stabs. Thank you.
  • Reply 94 of 96
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMozzorella

Wow... don't hold your breath.

Steve wants to steer everyone into buying $2000+ MacBook Pros, so far as the MacBook line goes, you can forget about niceties such as what-is-now-an-average-notebook-screen-size (15"), or expandability, or even FireWire. Zoiks!

You want those things, cough up two grand (or more). That's how the shakedown goes in Steve City.

Far as the evolution of the MacBook goes, expect the MacBook to become more and more like the MacBook Air with every refresh.

That's right... very limited ports, soon no optical drive, and thin thin thin... fashion over function.

Hey, WE might not like it, but that hardly matters... Steve specs these things to please himself. But see my sig.

• Reply 95 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Any reason to do more than hope – e.g., suspect or believe – that "we will see a 15" MacBook with FireWire in January"? That's the MacBook (15" + Wirefire) that I really want.
  • Reply 96 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dante46 View Post

Any reason to do more than hope ? e.g., suspect or believe ? that "we will see a 15" MacBook with FireWire in January"? That's the MacBook (15" + Wirefire) that I really want.

There is a big gap between $1599 and $1999 in the MacBook family.

Many customers (particularly older folk) want a consumer notebook but find the 13" screen too small on the eyes

All the hard work has been done of designing a 15" MacBook.

Apple would simply need to make the same 15" logic board without the second NVIDIA chip.

This is what I think we will see in the new year

MacBook & MacBook Pro Family

$999 -13" LCD - 2.1Ghz CPU - 120GB HD - FireWire - Intel GMA X3100 (plastic case)

$1299 -13" LCD - 2.0Ghz CPU - 160GB HD

$1599 -13" LCD - 2.4Ghz CPU - 250GB HD

$1799 -15" LCD - 2.4Ghz CPU - 250GB HD - FireWire 800 ***

$1999 -15" LCD - 2.4Ghz CPU - 250GB HD - FireWire 800 - NVIDIA 9600M GT with 256MB

$2499 -15" LCD - 2.5Ghz CPU - 320GB HD - FireWire 800 - NVIDIA 9600M GT with 512MB

$2799 -17" LCD - 2.5Ghz CPU - 320GB HD - FireWire 800 - NVIDIA 9600M GT with 512MB

MacBook Air Family

$1099 -11" LCD - 1.6Ghz CPU - 32GB SSD - Intel GMA X3100 (plastic case) ***

$1499 -13" LCD - 1.8Ghz CPU - 64GB SSD - NVIDIA 9400M

$2199 -13" LCD - 2.0Ghz CPU - 128GB SSD - NVIDIA 9400M