Inside the new MacBooks: LSI, Battery, HD, and RAM

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    I find it somewhat funny that LSI is labelled as a feature here. Doesn't really seem to help anyone but Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Kind of like how some airlines now make you every single piece of checked luggage. You can justify it just like the airlines do, but in reality it's just plain shitty.

Incidentally, if you've got more than one Mac, wouldn't pairing the same remote with both of them be a bad idea? Unless you like both of your computers to play music/movies simultaneously...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every apple remote always work with every macbook and iPod HiFi (or anything else that uses the apple remote for that matter)? I know the remote for my HiFi can control all my friends macbooks too. I don't think there is any such thing as "pairing".

And rest assured, that you would be the one paying for this extra remote, even if it was included by default. Its no different than complaining that you have to pay extra for more RAM.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Don't you mean a hard drive as easy to STEAL, just like a Dell? Not sure if this is such a great idea. Now the hard drive can be stolen within seconds, rather than having to remove the entire back cover and series of mounting screws. Even the prior MacBook required slightly extra effort to remove the drive. Now a system with confidential data can be compromised in seconds.

No offense, but who in their right mind keeps confidential information on a laptop and then leaves said laptop unsupervised/unsecured. We need to stop catering to stupid people. An easy to upgrade or remove hard drive is a good addition. It can also be an added security feature if youre stupid enough to store truly sensitive data on a laptop hard drive. You can remove the drive and shove it in your pocket or store it separately from the laptop while you travel...
  • Reply 44 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

Well, I've just checked on the Micron inc. website: they offer 2 as well as 4 GB SODIMM PC-1033. The 2 GB module sucks at most 3.2 A (3.2 A × 1.5 V is 4.8 W), whereas the 4 GB consumption is 3.6 A (3.6 A × 1.5 V is 5.4 W). The net difference is 600 mW. Twice that is 1.2 W.

On a 5-hour use, it means 4 Ah net difference (2 × 0.4 A × 5 h). I guess it will not hamper the autonomy that much. Given that the typical figures are going to be much less than those overpessimistic estimations.

That's true, there will be a difference, as I said, but it won't be overwhelming.

But Apple has used a battery with about 20% less power. They are trying to save everywhere they can to keep the battery life as it was before. This is just one of those areas. The Nvidia chipset adds to the drain, esp on the Macbooks, where they never had a GPU. That's why, in both lines of machines, the gpu can be turned off.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Someone should develop a gas treatment to deactivate the liquid submersion indicators.

I'm thinking put your laptop in a ziplock plastic bag, pop a sachet to mix two reagents in the bag, leave it overnight and shazzam the indicators will be permanently white.

I've been a victim of the whole "sorry we're not replacing your faulty phone because the man at the factory said it got wet" (Never mind that it was partially working!!!) scam one time too many. I'm glad it was only a $79 phone!

I'm sure they've also seen enough scams from people who lie about it.

Even if you could do what you would want, they would be able to tell, and that would surely invalidate any warrantee, and leave you open to charges of fraud.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Right!

Sweet. Thanks, Melgross. Gonna get 2x2 GB (or possibly 2x4, if it's even possible - doesn't look like it), and a larger harddrive at some point. Might just wait until the prices on SSD drives drop though

I can't freaking wait to receive that machine!
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rasmoose View Post

Sweet. Thanks, Melgross. Gonna get 2x2 GB (or possibly 2x4, if it's even possible - doesn't look like it), and a larger harddrive at some point. Might just wait until the prices on SSD drives drop though

I can't freaking wait to receive that machine!

While I don't use laptops, I'm going nuts waiting for the new Mac Pro, so I know what you mean!
  • Reply 48 of 52
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

While I don't use laptops, I'm going nuts waiting for the new Mac Pro, so I know what you mean!

I don't come here as often anymore but it's good to see you're still around Mel! I didn't see you post in the macbook thread with all the fw battling going on so I assumed you weren't on a the board anymore.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    I had hoped that all the new systems would get the same mag-safe connector that have on the air - that one seems sleeker and less in the way.

also if the glass trackpad is so great, why isn't it on the air.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I don't come here as often anymore but it's good to see you're still around Mel! I didn't see you post in the macbook thread with all the fw battling going on so I assumed you weren't on a the board anymore.

Thanks!

They'll have to kick me off.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member
    Quote:

That's true, there will be a difference, as I said, but it won't be overwhelming.

But Apple has used a battery with about 20% less power. They are trying to save everywhere they can to keep the battery life as it was before. This is just one of those areas. The Nvidia chipset adds to the drain, esp on the Macbooks, where they never had a GPU. That's why, in both lines of machines, the gpu can be turned off.

No, you can't turn off the GPU on the MacBook, because there is only one, and you would lose all video! You can turn off the external GPU on the "pro" and back off on the integrated one.

True, the battery has 20 % less capacity. This must be offset by a 20 % less power drain. Most of the gain must be due to the use of the LED-backlit display and the 45 nm new-Penryn tech. The nVidia chipset is, it seems, more greedy than its Intel counterpart.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

No, you can't turn off the GPU on the MacBook, because there is only one, and you would lose all video! You can turn off the external GPU on the "pro" and back off on the integrated one.

Sorry, you're right. I though I read that it also had two.

Quote:

True, the battery has 20 % less capacity. This must be offset by a 20 % less power drain. Most of the gain must be due to the use of the LED-backlit display and the 45 nm new-Penryn tech. The nVidia chipset is, it seems, more greedy than its Intel counterpart.

Little things help as well. While I don't want to get into the port controversy here, eliminating FW also drains just a bit less power. These chips do use power, all the time. I'm not saying that's why they eliminated it, but nevertheless...