High-quality unboxing photos: late 2008, 15" MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

this is going to be great. all the fanboys are going to rush off and buy the new model (after they bought a recent macbook pro within the last year...)

and by January of next year Apple will have anodized a few colors... and those fanboys will just have to have the lush anodized Black Macbook Pro!

brilliant!

Yeah.. whatever. But apart that... I am always puzzled by the term fanboy. I know it is very juvenile and must be fun to use if you are 14 but what happened to the girls? How come they aren't included?
  • Reply 22 of 53
    And why? What's the point of putting down a fantastic design? Is the build on the new MacBooks better? Sure. It ought to be given that the Pro was basically designed back in the G4 PowerBook days.

But the old Pro is a well built, beautiful machine. It has a purer design than the new Pro, which looks a bit like a cross between an Air, the old Pro, and the iMac. I am not saying the new Pro is bad. I like it a lot. But I like the build more than the design. I'm not crazy about glossy, either, and there seems to be no way around that if you have a glass cover over the screen.

The Air is a perfect design. The new Pro is good, but not quite in the same league.

The old Pro aged extremely well. It still looks more modern than most Windows laptops. It made my Dell D800 look, and feel, outright primitive. I'm not sure how the new Pro will age. I suspect it will evolve a bit.

The real winner here is the 13" MacBook. It offers an outstandingly better value proposition than the old series.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

'Wrought?' Er, no. You mean 'work.' There's a Dictionary widget in Dashboard.

Actually, he means "wreak," which means "inflict or cause damage."

He also means "There ARE no exposed screws..."
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

...where an Apple Store Genus torqued the screws too hard.

Always have the work done by an Apple Store Phylum or, in a pinch, one of the Species.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diger4ai View Post

IMO the black is ugly. Should have stayed monochromatic. Like the profiles, tapering, etc. No FW400 is slightly annoying, Jury is out on the glass until I see one in person.

From what I have read elsewhere all you need is an adaptor cable, which costs less that $20. If that is indeed the case then this is not really an issue.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    I don't really get why the author had to put down the older MBP down HARD at every single turn. It really put me off - with all the over-the-top hyperbole, the thing reads like someone that's unhealthily obsessed with the new design, and has no perspective on the machine that came before it. We get it - the new one looks good (as it should be). But that doesn't negate the merits of the previous version, which, if I may say so, actually looks BETTER with out the weird black bezel and keyboard.

And why do you people all want black black black? Macbooks and Macbook Pros look *cool because they're NOT like typical black laptops*. And multiple colors? MAYBE on the Macbooks, but dear god, please not on the Pros. These aren't little iPoddy toys.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Wow, that so creative of you....NOT!

Yup.

But like all new products there is some things that Apple leave out like 2 firewires, matte screen. Lets see how does the new display will affect usage before we start bashing it

Oh yea btw, isn't FW400 compatible with FW800?

It is. But I still like having two FW ports. Either one of each or two FW800 ports. As for the matte screen I could care less. Leaving the FW off the Macbook is stupid. At $1299 it should have it. Hey HP makes several laptop models in the sub $900 price range that have FW. As for the display port. Think back to the old 12" Powerbooks. They had the adapter pigtails to hook up a monitor. The big difference was they CAME with them. After paying $2000-$2500 for a MBP and $1299 for a Macbook and then have to cough up another $29-$99 for the adapter. The guys at Apple must be smoking some good stuff. They must be HIGH. If the new MBP had the two FW ports it would be the ticket. As for now I'll wait and see. BTW Apple has a page on their website to give them feedback and complaints.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I love this design and everything about the new MBP. I am glad I've waited. I will get one this weekend or the next and then will sell my iMac. Can't keep up with two computers at once and I always end up ignoring one of them

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

this is going to be great. all the fanboys are going to rush off and buy the new model (after they bought a recent macbook pro within the last year...)

and by January of next year Apple will have anodized a few colors... and those fanboys will just have to have the lush anodized Black Macbook Pro!

brilliant!

Yawn..

This song is getting boring by the way... zzzz
  • Reply 29 of 53
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gasparschott View Post

Actually, he means "wreak," which means "inflict or cause damage."

He also means "There ARE no exposed screws..."

Yeah, you're probably right. So, not only did he get the wrong tense but he got the wrong root meaning as well. I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt on the latter... Shouldn't people who write articles on websites, posing as journalists, be held to a higher standard of writing than the people who write in the comments section? Or perhaps AI wants to publish articles with that "folksy" feeling so as not to sound elitist... nah, it's an Apple fan website. I've been given to understand that we're all elitist. Except for those few of us who are above all of that. [/me buffs fingernails]
  • Reply 30 of 53
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bulky Cranium View Post

I've ordered one. I was resistant to the Glossy screen at first, but I stopped by a store and tried an older MacBook with a glossy screen out & think it's worth a shot. (Besides it'll be hooked up to a Cintiq most of the day anyway).

So get a screen filter if the screen is too glossy...

http://www.powersupportusa.com/produ...hp?category=pb

http://www.nushield.com/?source=goog...FQOeFQod4273yw

http://www.nextag.com/laptop-anti-gl...er/search-html

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/searc...s&id=235155712
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

So get a screen filter if the screen is too glossy...

Thanks for the links mjtomlin. I'll try it without at first, as I can control the lighting everywhere I'll be using it. But if I'm bothered by the gloss I'll check out the filters.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lidofido View Post

I don't really get why the author had to put down the older MBP down HARD at every single turn. It really put me off - with all the over-the-top hyperbole, the thing reads like someone that's unhealthily obsessed with the new design, and has no perspective on the machine that came before it. We get it - the new one looks good (as it should be). But that doesn't negate the merits of the previous version, which, if I may say so, actually looks BETTER with out the weird black bezel and keyboard.

And why do you people all want black black black? Macbooks and Macbook Pros look *cool because they're NOT like typical black laptops*. And multiple colors? MAYBE on the Macbooks, but dear god, please not on the Pros. These aren't little iPoddy toys.

yeah, lidofido your soo sooo right thanks for saving me the keystrokes and energy of retyping what you have here and what a few others have repeated as well.. i kept holding up my MBP (purchased 08/09/07) and i could not find any of the dings and dangs this guy is so obsessed with here-- did he have his MBP thrown under a bus?? my MBP is in tip top shape no scratches or bent lopsided lid as the one he's bashing in here and its so obvious that he is either getting something free from apple (maybe a new WackBookPRo) or he's trying to get into WWDC 2009 for free, i dunno but i really can't understand also is why they removed FIREWIRE??? I am a pro music producer/IT consultant here in NY and use Target Disk mode and all of my music peripherals are firewire based - so this Macbook would not suffice for my uses... and I do not like the black styled flip screen it looks like an iMac type of PC and doesn't flow like my current MBP- and for my designing GLOSSY just won't do either.... so good luck to all the fanboys who run out and buy this thing -- i will be advising my clients to save some $$$$ and get the last gen MBP... and what happened to the under $1,000. laptop everybody was raving about up in here??? (they must have found a cheaper manufacturer for the battery as well- SONY prob was charging way too much so they are prob using some other CHina components for most of these laptops... and lets no forget the NVIDIA CHipset scandal thats supposedly in ALL of their chips--

search google for it and you will see..what i mean..
  • Reply 33 of 53
    These are fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diger4ai View Post

IMO the black is ugly. Should have stayed monochromatic. Like the profiles, tapering, etc. No FW400 is slightly annoying, Jury is out on the glass until I see one in person.

Also, you are bashing the last couple MBP gens like they are garbage. I think I still prefer them and they are certainly better than 99% of the laptops out there. Mine is 20 months old and I don't have the lid alignment issues your pics display. I also don't travel a lot with mine which could explain a few things. How old is the MBP in the pics?

BTW - the new hard drive placement is F'ng brilliant! That is my biggest complaint about my MBP. I need a bigger (and faster) HD but voiding my warranty is not an option. Neither is paying someone $300-500 to perform labor a money could do to install a $120 part.

You need to move! I'm in Las Vegas and I recently had a WD320 installed in my MBP for a total cost of $183 ($113 for the HD from OWC and $70 labor).

I'm with you concerning the current MBPs. I love the aluminum keys compared to the black plastic of my Titanium. And, IMO, the current keyboard action is considerably better than that of my wife's MacBook. I haven't tried the new MBP keyboard but if it's anything like the MacBook I'd really be disappointed.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    The old MBP is beautiful, but it is hell to open and upgrade the hard drive (which I did twice, from 80 to 160, then to 320).

I think Apple's next job will be updating the Mini so the access is as easy as the new MB/MBP.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Can someone tell me why Apple chose a black keyboard? They did this in the late 1990s and it was very unpopular. For anyone over 40 (me and Jony Ive), or certainly anyone over 50, it's very hard to see light characters on black keys.

For a company that prides itself on good design this is a significant error in judgment. They should consider offering a configuration option for light or white keys.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    I bought one yesterday, and unboxed it last night. I was worried about the glossy screen too: http://kansieo.com/wp-content/upload...0/dsc00030.jpg, but don't have a problem with it when it's on. Only time will tell how bad it is in the sunlight.

Sorry if posting an image url is against the rules...this image in particular highlights the issue.

Also, there were a handful of very minor imperfections in the anodization. I kept trying to wipe away the dust specs until I noticed they were "built in".

After taking off the HD/battery cover, I struggled a bit to put it back on...the tabs that hold it don't have guides on the body to show exactly where they should lie. If you're going to be swapping the battery often, this could become a problem.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveMinne View Post

Can someone tell me why Apple chose a black keyboard?

It's a matter of change. Change is sometimes viewed out of context. In a few months time you'll love it.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Call me crazy, but I just ordered the 'old' MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM (ordered 4GB RAM updated from Crucial memory for $69), 200GB HD, SuperDrive laptop from MacMall for $1449.

Talking to more than one Apple employee, they recommended the matte screen for photography, so without that option I think the previous model should work well. And the price break doesn't hurt either!

I do have to admit, the design of the new MacBook Pro machines is very impressive. But did they decide the thinness of the display was more important than allowing an option for the matte screen? The customer service person at MacMall was surprised there wasn't a matte option for the new MBPs. She said they were the best selling config for the MBPs!

Oh well, the photographers and graphic designers out there who opt to purchase a new MBP will have to let us all know how the glossy display works in the next few weeks!
  • Reply 40 of 53
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new MacBooks are an Air with more there.

I'm sure that's great for some people, but I want an Air with less there. Having the optical drive external rather than internal is fantastic. I like that the RAM is integrated, as it keeps the cost, size, and weight down and reliability up. The next step, as flash prices drop, will be to integrated the SDD on the motherboard. That will allow future Airs to be thinner, lighter, cheaper, and more reliable. In a few years, we could have a MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of flash integrated on the motherboard. It could be thinner and lighter than the current MacBook Air.