High-quality unboxing photos: late 2008, 15" MacBook Pro

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetGuy View Post

Call me crazy, but I just ordered the 'old' MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM (ordered 4GB RAM updated from Crucial memory for $69), 200GB HD, SuperDrive laptop from MacMall for $1449.

yahh, that's a great price, also Apple is selling MBP refurbs for $1349 as well. They make matte screens that you can put on those monitors for those folks that are all upset about the glossy screens. The matte screens are pretty nice and blend in very well to the rest of the monitor. I bought a matte screen protector for my iPhone and it worked out great for reducing the glare and felt like it was built-in to the iPhone, but later on I ended up going back to the glossy screen cuz I like the bright contrasts. It's all glossy for me for now on.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    The carved case looks more industrial than a lot of industrial products, and I've worked with some pretty darn expensive high-tech industrial products in the last year.

That said, I think Apple would find a large market for a similarly squared full-depth unibody case stuck under the lid of a MacBook Air-sized display. Leave the optical drive as an external, have a quick processor, a fast, spacious HD, as much RAM as fits, the DisplayPort output, and gigabit ethernet/USB2/FW800/ExpressCard 34 ports on the side. I think that configuration coupled with a new 24" Cinema Display would work very nicely for regular desktop use as well as travel.

I know it wouldn't be as light as an MBA, but some ports are just worth carrying. I'll leave my extra underwear and deodorant at home if I had to make weight for the plane. (Sorry for that mental image.)
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diger4ai View Post

Also, you are bashing the last couple MBP gens like they are garbage. I think I still prefer them and they are certainly better than 99% of the laptops out there. Mine is 20 months old and I don't have the lid alignment issues your pics display. I also don't travel a lot with mine which could explain a few things. How old is the MBP in the pics?

Hear, hear. The writer makes completely needless and derogatory remarks about the old MBP. He sounds like an Apple salesperson.

Also, I laugh at the assertion that he has kept his MBP in good shape because it looks beat up.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

And why? What's the point of putting down a fantastic design? Is the build on the new MacBooks better? Sure. It ought to be given that the Pro was basically designed back in the G4 PowerBook days.

But the old Pro is a well built, beautiful machine. It has a purer design than the new Pro, which looks a bit like a cross between an Air, the old Pro, and the iMac. I am not saying the new Pro is bad. I like it a lot. But I like the build more than the design. I'm not crazy about glossy, either, and there seems to be no way around that if you have a glass cover over the screen.

The Air is a perfect design. The new Pro is good, but not quite in the same league.

The old Pro aged extremely well. It still looks more modern than most Windows laptops. It made my Dell D800 look, and feel, outright primitive. I'm not sure how the new Pro will age. I suspect it will evolve a bit.

The real winner here is the 13" MacBook. It offers an outstandingly better value proposition than the old series.

Alonso, I could not agree with you more. You are perfectly spot on about the superior build but (IMO) slightly less appealing design. I also concur that the new MB is far more enticing, especially now that it is truly quite a bit smaller than the new MBP.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    The design of the old Macbook Pros is awesome, but this new design takes that and improves upon it in so many subtle ways. It's truly fantastic to see these pictures. The design, fit and finish look flawless and timeless. Thank you for the photos, I get where you are coming from on the editorializing.

As far as the keys go, I personally prefer a light/dark contrast and the black keys look ready for business. I think Apple has taken a wonderful piece of hardware design and given it a careful and detailed improvement.

I'm looking forward to my own buying cycle allowing me to purchase one of these.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    The descriptions of these photos are f*cking idiotic worship. I'm sure such comments accompanied pictures of the last redesign (which is apparently crap now), but please... it's a computer... aerodynamic? loud? clumsy? sloppy? Get over it, dorks. My "previous generation" MBP looks just fine, much better than a lot of the other crappy computers out there, and I have no need for it to be aerodynamic.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    I'm humored by the people taking personal offense to the critiques of yesterday's Macbook Pro. Having grown incredibly tired of the nearly-unchanged design of Apple's Pro laptop for the past five years, I agree with the editor's sentiments. The new MacBook Pros (and by extent the MacBook) are absolutely gorgeous in terms of appearance and assembly. There are so many minor issues I have with the physical feel and build of my current 17" MacBook Pro, and this new design seems to address all of them and then some. What's really impressive about Apple's design to me is that their newly designed models almost always make the old model seem awkward and dated, despite the previous model seeming modern and elegant at its time. They're very similar to car design, in that regard.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I'm humored by the people taking personal offense to the critiques of yesterday's Macbook Pro.

It's not that we're taking offense, it's that the article is ridiculous in terms of its complete gushiness to the point that it's creepy, while it likewise demonizes the old one. I couldn't care less what you think of the new and old versions, but the article is entirely silly.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lidofido View Post

It's not that we're taking offense, it's that the article is ridiculous in terms of its complete gushiness to the point that it's creepy, while it likewise demonizes the old one. I couldn't care less what you think of the new and old versions, but the article entirely silly.

When you do your own photo expose on the differences between new MBP and old, you can describe it however you like.

If you couldn't get care less what other people think of the versions, why should anyone else care what you think about how one describes the differences?
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boondox View Post

When you do your own photo expose on the differences between new MBP and old, you can describe it however you like.

If you couldn't get care less what other people think of the versions, why should anyone else care what you think about how one describes the differences?

This "article" is an exercise in teenage adulation, not e-journalism. The writer could not sound more silly. He sounds like he is describing a serious work of art instead of a computer.

We should care how terrible a writer is when we visit this forum frequently and have to be subjected to his inane blushing and geek-crush on a piece of computer technology.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boondox View Post

Applebook above me said it perfectly. Adding to that: you can write intelligently about the differences and positives on the new models and point out deficiencies in old models without sounding like a stalker.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lidofido View Post

I don't really get why the author had to put down the older MBP down HARD at every single turn. It really put me off - with all the over-the-top hyperbole, the thing reads like someone that's unhealthily obsessed with the new design, and has no perspective on the machine that came before it. We get it - the new one looks good (as it should be). But that doesn't negate the merits of the previous version, which, if I may say so, actually looks BETTER with out the weird black bezel and keyboard.

And why do you people all want black black black? Macbooks and Macbook Pros look *cool because they're NOT like typical black laptops*. And multiple colors? MAYBE on the Macbooks, but dear god, please not on the Pros. These aren't little iPoddy toys.

Well, I for one really appreciate the PowerBook G3 Pismo. I simply became absolutely besotted with the style and features of the Pismo. I have used it steadily for nearly eight years as my primary PC. It has served me well and will continue as my backup/standby PC. I look forward to the purchase of a new MacBook Pro after the first of the year, but I sure could wait for a black anodized version...

If you haven't used a Pismo, or if you've forgotten, you just don't understand!
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Well, I for one really appreciate the PowerBook G3 Pismo. I simply became absolutely besotted with the style and features of the Pismo. I have used it steadily for nearly eight years as my primary PC. It has served me well and will continue as my backup/standby PC. I look forward to the purchase of a new MacBook Pro after the first of the year, but I sure could wait for a black anodized version...

If you haven't used a Pismo, or if you've forgotten, you just don't understand!