flip4mac question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
if i have flip4mac installed onto my macbook pro. would i still need windows media player??? i like to listen the radio online once in a while it uses windows media to play. so what im basically asking is if i could use flip4mac to do everyhthing (plus more) that windows media does. im deleting uneccesary programs to free up space. for some reason, i have 20 GB's of music and photos, but istat says i have 57 GB's used.....wierd.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Windows Media Player has been discontinued anyway, flip4mac is its replacement. So no, you don't need WMP.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    The only things that Flip4Mac can’t handle are video and audio files which are protected by DRM.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

The only things that Flip4Mac can?t handle are video and audio files which are protected by DRM.

I wish that this were true, but it is not. The streaming video of many local TV stations is encoded in such a way as to require Windows Media Player. The encoding scheme is incompatible with Flip4Mac. This is generally not a problem with network TV video streams.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

Windows Media Player has been discontinued anyway, flip4mac is its repl[SIZE=[SIZE="4"]"3"]acement. So no, you don't need WMP.

i keep reading that flip4mac is free.Have checked websites that offer free flip but it is just another suck-in. They want you to buy it. Where can i down-load it for free?

thanks, rod (i have a macbook pro & love it).[
  • Reply 5 of 6
    They just call the free version a trial: http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm
  • Reply 6 of 6
    If you have a WMV stream that does not work in Flip4Mac, then it is probably encoded with DRM. Microsoft has decided that the Mac will not get the Windows Media 9 DRM and so that is that. Look for them to start pushing Silverlight in all of these spaces. They have nicely included their DRM system in the Mac version of Silverlight (but I don't know about the linux version: Moonlight).