Mac Backup Software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey,

I'm looking for software recommendations for running incremental backups from my Mac to a USB hard drive. I'm not interested in full disk cloning (a la SuperDuper!), but rather something I can use to specify which folders/files get backed up and then one that only backups the most recent changes each time.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    Have you already considered and rejected TIme Machine?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I find really only two options, super duper and carbon copy cloner.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Despite what Apple wants you to think, your Mac isn't invincible. While Macs may be less vulnerable to viruses and spyware than PC's, they're just as likely to get stolen or suffer from a hardware failure like a hard drive crash. When that happens, will it be a catastrophe, or just an inconvenience? It depends on whether or not - and how well - you back up your Mac.

=======================================

Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.

[email protected]
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    This is a freeware package that has worked quite well for me on OS X 10.4:

http://psyncx.sourceforge.net/
  • Reply 5 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    my vote is for superduper and either time machine or external triple interface hd, macworld or macdailynews has a story about how superduper works wonders with timemachine

SD is simple robust easy and works i've used it for backups for the last 3 years no gliches.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    I vote for Apple's Backup.

I've used SuperDuper and TimeMachine. IMO SuperDuper is very good and Time Machine not so good. The hard drive on my wife's MB recently crashed and it was much, much easier to just use Backup to restore her files than it was to use Time Machine. No longer will I bear with Time Machine and its frequent tax of system resources for no benefit when I finally need it.

The only reason I choose Backup over SuperDuper is because Backup is so simple and it is from Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jessica. View Post

I find really only two options, super duper and carbon copy cloner.

I agree, when I first switched I ended up trying them all out but I stuck with CCC because it was free and still works great.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abeckstrom View Post

Hey,

I'm looking for software recommendations for running incremental backups from my Mac to a USB hard drive. I'm not interested in full disk cloning (a la SuperDuper!), but rather something I can use to specify which folders/files get backed up and then one that only backups the most recent changes each time.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

If you want incremental backups, what's wrong with Time Machine?