Product Advice: White MB vs. Aluminum MB

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I'm a High School Junior who needs a laptop for multiple reasons, mostly involving schoolwork. I want a Macbook compared to a PC laptop because of speed security & ease of use advantages. I would prefer the new aluminum Macbook, but they are spendy and money is tight with the economy and all. With the getup I want for the laptop (4GB RAM/160GB HD), the price for a new Macbook white comes out to about 1279.00, and the aluminum about 1449.00. Is it worth shelling out the extra 200 bucks for the new model, or should I just go with what I know I need? And by the way I don't care about a firewire port, or lack thereof

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    You're only talking a 12% difference in price. You will hate yourself spending 88% of the price on last years, plastic model compared to the new macbook. Spend the money. My $2100 mac I bought 3.5 years ago was worth every penny.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

You're only talking a 12% difference in price. You will hate yourself spending 88% of the price on last years, plastic model compared to the new macbook. Spend the money. My $2100 mac I bought 3.5 years ago was worth every penny.

Thanks for the advice! That's what I figured, now just to convince my dad that lol
  • Reply 3 of 7
    albimalbim Posts: 68member
    I have the same situation, but I don't need all of the RAM and as much GB. I'd probably just go with the $999 or $1300 model, so is it worth the extra $400?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    batbat Posts: 47member
    White for $999 is a very good deal.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Here is a good article on why buying slightly higher end macbook is better then buying the bargain model.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10064580-75.html

Or you could also look into this:

http://store.psystar.com/

Unless its just the name your after.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I think, with the direction OSX is heading, the new graphics setup will give the computer a much longer useful life than the WHITE MacBook. Both are good set-ups right now... but 3 years from now, the Aluminum MacBook will probably be MUCH better suited to run the future version of OSX than the White one will be...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Get the aluminum, it's sexy and up to date!