AppleTV: How to copy (sync) music from iTunes, not stream

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm quite technical and did all the googling I could think of, but I can't figure out how to do this:

I'm trying to copy (not steam) music from my girlfriend's computer running iTunes. I can definitely stream the music over the network, but I want to copy it to the AppleTV harddrive.

I scanned the options in iTunes and the AppleTV, but I can't find out how to copy the songs over.

I entered the code on the AppleTV into iTunes and the AppleTV appears in iTunes. Also, the AppleTV option appears in Preferences, and says that it's streaming.

When I click on the AppleTV in iTunes devices, it shows me two tabs: Summary and Photos. Summary just tells me the name, capacity and serial number of the AppleTV. Phots lets me choose which photos to share.

The reason I want to copy the songs over is so that I can listen to my music if the computer or network is off. The songs are mostly copy protected songs from iTunes, but it doesn't work with unprotected MP3s either.

So how do I go about copying the songs over?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    The Apple TV will only sync to one computer. It will stream from up to five computers.

It sounds like you have your Apple TV set to sync to your computer and to stream from your girlfriends computer. The Apple TV will only copy songs from the computer that it is synced to. It will stream form all others. To copy songs from your girlfriends computer you will need to disconnect the Apple TV from your computer and sync it to your girlfriends. But then it will not have anything from your computer.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

The Apple TV will only sync to one computer. It will stream from up to five computers.

It sounds like you have your Apple TV set to sync to your computer and to stream from your girlfriends computer. The Apple TV will only copy songs from the computer that it is synced to. It will stream form all others. To copy songs from your girlfriends computer you will need to disconnect the Apple TV from your computer and sync it to your girlfriends. But then it will not have anything from your computer.

I also tried it from her place with the AppleTV linked ONLY to her computer (I only linked it to mine later to try it out), and it didn't seem to work.

Once it's linked only to her computer, what are the steps to trigger the sync? Should it be automatic?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I also tried it from her place with the AppleTV linked ONLY to her computer (I only linked it to mine later to try it out), and it didn't seem to work.

It depends on what you mean by "linked". You can be linked by 'syncing" or by "sharing". As the Apple TV expects these links to be coming and going it establishes them via software not hardware. I suspect that you are still linked to your computer even though it is no longer present.

On the Apple TV go to Settings>>Computers. The iTunes library that the Apple TV is syncing to is on top with the chain links. The computers that it is linked through sharing are listed below. To disconnect click on each computer and follow the directions. Now you can resync to your girlfriends computer.

Quote:

Once it's linked only to her computer, what are the steps to trigger the sync? Should it be automatic?

In iTunes find the Apple TV under devices, right-click (or Option-Click) and select sync.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

It depends on what you mean by "linked". You can be linked by 'syncing" or by "sharing". As the Apple TV expects these links to be coming and going it establishes them via software not hardware. I suspect that you are still linked to your computer even though it is no longer present.

On the Apple TV go to Settings>>Computers. The iTunes library that the Apple TV is syncing to is on top with the chain links. The computers that it is linked through sharing are listed below. To disconnect click on each computer and follow the directions. Now you can resync to your girlfriends computer.

In iTunes find the Apple TV under devices, right-click (or Option-Click) and select sync.

I have only her laptop linked, and de-linked mine, but when I right-click on AppleTV in the devices list, I see only "Turn Off Streaming". There's no "Sync" option.

Not sure if this is relevant, but the iTunes PC and AppleTV are linked wirelessly.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I have only her laptop linked, and de-linked mine, but when I right-click on AppleTV in the devices list, I see only "Turn Off Streaming". There's no "Sync" option.

Not sure if this is relevant, but the iTunes PC and AppleTV are linked wirelessly.

Then go into her preferences and Turn Off Streaming. Delete all linking and then start over, this time syncing to her laptop.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Then go into her preferences and Turn Off Streaming. Delete all linking and then start over, this time syncing to her laptop.

It's working now. I disconnected and reconnected the AppleTV and it's now syncing her music over.

It's really odd that it didn't work the first time I connected.

Thank you from both us