Intel shows off working Moorestown MID device

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Intel was showing a dummy of this device 6 months ago or more. I like it. It's a really really svelt UMPC or MID. While it may be long, I think it behooves Apple to make a "halo" type device like this. A larger, longer screened version of an iPhone or iPod touch would fit nicely in between the iPhone/iPod touch and the MacBooks.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

While this demo looked great and the intel is providing better silicon, my question is...What OS where we looking at?

Its not Windows anything. Its not Linux, Its looks very Mac OSish, I suspect it is Flash or AfterEffects

This is the problem intel faces, no one but Apple can currently deliver that kind of mobile experience. By the time a clunky imitation makes it to market, we will be ohhing and ahhing over Mac OS Mobile 3.0.

Yeah the concept video looked real nice, but it's probably only just that: a concept video. I think however that many many software developers around the world would be able to deliver a great mobile OS that could function like in the concept video. But it would take guts for the mobile device makers to embrace a team of software designers that challenge to surpass Apple. It's fully possible though. There ought to be lots of developers working on this already, ever since Apple started stealing market share in the mobile device/phone market with the iPhone, making everything else seem prehistoric.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    The large screen doesn't impress me so much - it is nice if all you need is a long thin slice of a map and little need to look North or South - but the split keyboard makes me just want to see Apple make periferal plugins to the current iPhone - plugged into the pin connector and such, with physical keys. That way I can decide if I want to carry something 6 inches long or not as my needs change.

C'mon Apple, let hardware developers have access to the 30-pin slot!!!
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

While this demo looked great and the intel is providing better silicon, my question is...What OS where we looking at?

Its not Windows anything.

Its not Linux.

Its looks very Mac OSish.

From what we've seen, I don't we can say with any certainty what OS IS or ISN'T being used. We could be looking at an extensively skinned version of Windows CE or embedded Windows XP. Linux has so many different operating environments available it's difficult to keep track of them all, and most of them are also highly customizable. It could also be an interactive web page served up through any OS via a reasonably full featured web browser operating in full screen mode.

Quote:

I suspect it is Flash or AfterEffects

Not so much an OS as a presentation layer IMO.