Applecare worth it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am thinking of buying a Macbook Pro on clearance with the education discount. I am going to use the Laptop as my home computer and it wont be moved.

Is Applecare worth it for $240? Its a chunk of moolah.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

I am thinking of buying a Macbook Pro on clearance with the education discount. I am going to use the Laptop as my home computer and it wont be moved.

Its essential IMO.

Got a new battery and logic board under applecare. Its easily paid for itself in my experience.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Thanks, I think you just made me decide to buy it. Better safe than sorry
  • Reply 3 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Peace of mind.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    May want to look into squaretrade, instead... a lot cheaper, and gets a lot of good reviews... they'll also cover(a bit extra) accidental damage which Applecare will definitely not.

I'm about to try them myself, for a new laptop purchase just made.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

I had Applecare on a Power Mac dual 2.5. When the computer went bizarre and Apple was unable to fix it, they replaced it with a brand new Mac Pro.

I had Applecare on a Titanium Power Book that I purchased in 2002. That computer has performed flawlessly and never needed repair.

So basically it's your choice. However, you can buy Applecare anytime during the first year when Apple's warranty is still in effect, so you don't have to purchase Applecare when you buy your computer.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Yeh, I have to think about doing it right away or not. I would onl,y get Applecare not another brand warranty. I dont trust outside warranties
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I still haven't decided whether i'm going to buy apple care or not. With my luck, I'll buy it and the day it expires, my computer will explode in a fireball of destruction.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    I never get AppleCare and never regretted it. My wife and I got laptop batteries replaced out of warranty.

I must have saved myself over a thousand dollars over the years by no buying it.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Apple's record of producing untested hardware leads me to suggest getting the warranty.

Beyond that, you'll have to look at it based on your situation. Paying $300 more is worth it to me, for example, because I can afford it now, but I cannot guarantee my income will be able to cover the $2500 for a similar model in two years. Having it break down could be catastrophic for me if I can't afford a replacement.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    My 2 year old iMac's display card just gave up the ghost. The Genius Bar guys have quoted me $369 to repair... the $169 that Applecare would have cost is sounding like a really good bargain right about now. In retrospect, I cannot recall having owned a computer for three years and NOT having had something break on it. Hardware is hardware, and Apple certainly is not above having poor quality control on parts it buys from NVidia or Western Digital etc. Applecare seems cheap insurance for one of their desktops and an essential for their notebooks.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Yeh, with my luck I'd be better off getting it.