Jobs responds to outrage over MacBook's missing FireWire

Comments

• Reply 781 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I'm just baffled at the decision to unnecessarily remove FireWire from a $1300 notebook, it just doesn't make sence, and they can only chalk it up to "because I said so" as the reason.

You'll find the demand is definately there. I don't personally know a Mac user that doesn't have a plethora of FireWire Devices they rely on all the time. And the sheer fact that Canon does not have a single MiniDV camera not using FireWire exclusively to import video will push that as well. FireWire just does everything better. I could see if there were some advantages to USB 2.0, but there aren't. Maybe they have something new on the horizon, who knows, I can generally understand where Apple is going with most of their palns, and I am generally out there explaining the logic, but in this case, I am having a hard time...

Even a worse decision is to include FW800 and not FW400 in the MBP - most Cameras and prof. audio interfaces, as well as external harddrives usw FW400. But, you could Apple know that?

To all the people who claim FW is too expensive to built in: How come that a Western Digital harddrive with FW (and eSATA, bei the way) is only 15? more expensive than a naked USB 2.0 version? They have to include an additional controller, sockets, have to pay license fees etc....?

In general what makes me think:

So far we had two very distinctive lines of MBs and MBPs and the ultra-portable Air.

Now it's only one design left...? One fits all? Added by a desktop range of iMacs which now look like blown-up Macbooks with a desktop stand...?

Is THIS really all Apple is able to offer?
  • Reply 782 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Also according to MacTracker, the previous 15" PowerBooks had FW800 and FW400, so you can chock that up as another example of Apple removing a higher function technology without having anything better and usable to replace it with.

No you can't... all FireWire 800 and FireWire 400 devices work fine together, the only thing you need is a cable to change the pinout, (no adapter is required to change the signal itself) Not to mention that there still aren't any devices taking advantage of the FW800 speeds anyway. In every case where Apple has transitioned to something else, you still have an (inexpensive) option to get you by, SCSI was the last real tough one that required you to replace all your peripherals (hard disks, scanners, tape drives, printers and even CNC Machines) And during this transition, many opted to try the 3rd party G3 upgrade cards, just to continue using those SCSI devices until better options came along, or until they slowly replaced tens of thousands of dollars in equipment (in some cases 3 years down the road).

I've been through all the transistions as I have had a Mac since 1984 (Had a Lisa too) and I am a bit concerned about this transition personally since I hae so much invested in FireWire, and since I still am not finding the USB 2.0 "equivalents" to be totally acceptable. They are just not as bulletproof as FireWire.
  • Reply 783 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zauner View Post

Even a worse decision is to include FW800 and not FW400 in the MBP - most Cameras and prof. audio interfaces, as well as external harddrives usw FW400. But, you could Apple know that?

Well, at least FW800 and FW400 are completely compatible, you only need to change the cable.
  • Reply 784 of 1665
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    As others have said before, removing FW400 and putting only a FW800 port on the MacBook would have been perfectly fine. In fact, that should have been done across the line a year ago.

The fact that the FW800 port could have been easily converted to FW3200 next year is gravy.

Sadly, we're now left wondering what the future is for Firewire on the Mac, while people ask for card slots, eSata and ethernet alternatives. Apple could have been basking over its greatest lead in notebook design ever, instead of having everyone distracted with this nonsense.
  • Reply 785 of 1665
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

No you can't... all FireWire 800 and FireWire 400 devices work fine together...

It's half the speed. It was a drop in functionality and usability over the previous release. It wasn't the other way around, with Apple leaving in FW800, but removing FW400. How can you even be arguing that FW400 offers the same functionality of FW800?
  • Reply 786 of 1665
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

It's half the speed. It was a drop in functionality and usability over the previous release. It wasn't the other way around, with Apple leaving in FW800, but removing FW400. How can you even be arguing that FW400 offers the same functionality of FW800?

The new MBP has FW800, which is the faster version of the protocol.
  • Reply 787 of 1665
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The new MBP has FW800, which is the faster version of the protocol.

I'm well aware of that.

This is about Roehlstation stating that Apple's removal of FW800 from the first 8 months 15" MBPs is not another example of Apple taking a step backwards in functionality, because they still maintained FW400. He stated that "all FireWire 800 and FireWire 400 devices work fine together" in his rebuttal. Hench my comment about FW400 being half the speed of FW800, ths a step backwards in functionality over the previous 15" PowerBooks, that had a FW800 -AND- a FW400 port.
  • Reply 788 of 1665
    Quote:

I'm well aware of that.

This is about Roehlstation stating that Apple's removal of FW800 from the first 8 months 15" MBPs is not another example of Apple taking a step backwards in functionality, because they still maintained FW400. He stated that "all FireWire 800 and FireWire 400 devices work fine together" in his rebuttal. Hench my comment about FW400 being half the speed of FW800, ths a step backwards in functionality over the previous 15" PowerBooks, that had a FW800 -AND- a FW400 port.

It's not about having FW400 & FW800, it's about having two FW ports. How about two FW800 ports on the MBP and one on the MB. Or even a FW800 & a FW3200 on the MBP.
  • Reply 789 of 1665
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    If Firewire wasn't important

We wouldn't have an 800 page thread about it in a week. I've give Solipsism credit here

he's hanging in there and debating the affirmative tirelessly.

You know we can create all the anecdotes we need. Hell we can justify anything we want with enough time.

My problem is that many Macbook owners looking to upgrade or people looking for their first Apple notebook ever wanted the type of laptop that pushed the envelope further. The Alu case did just that but not even maturing the connecitivy featureset of the last Macbook is a downer. The preceding Macbooks were righ on that line of giving you enough options. Since Apple doesn't appear to believe in any kind of expansion we had 3 wired choices for connectivity. USB, FW and Ethernet. Now we're down to two and frankly a lot of important peripherals not cannot be accessed.

I too, fail to understand why this was allowed to happen. But then again Apple has been like a derelict parent to FW loving it one minute neglecting it the next becoming one of the more irritating idiosyncrasy of Apple apropos their "focus".

Apple could never be an Enterprise company because they simply will not follow a path and stick to that path. They'll announce a product and then whimsically cut that product with a meek "sorry" and move on. They are as unpredictable as they are bound to secrecy.

The glue that keeps this all together is Steve Jobs. Typically he can smooth over these rough transitions with moxy and passion but Appe writes checks even Jobs' ass can't cover.

The Macbook FW removal is one such issue. Not even Jobs can explain this one to the point where it makes sense. He has not been progressive with adding anything substantive to replace FW and that is why Mac users are railing. We see a withdrawal from our computing bank account without the hopes of a deposit coming. That's a loss anyway you take it.
  • Reply 790 of 1665
    Quote:

At least it offers functionality, I CAN STILL USE MY PERIPHERALS, it does not require me to replace them. A FireWire 400 drive will still work with a FireWire 800 port. You'd be hard pressed to find a FireWire 800 device that produces results that are twice as fast as the 400 anyway, you might gain a little speed, but in most cases, the bridge between the FW800 and the IDE hard disk isn't 800 mbits. By dropping one of the FW ports it does not render all those peripherals useless, you can still use them. By dropping both ports, I now have a desk full of paperweights.
  • Reply 791 of 1665
    Quote:

I'm well aware of that.

I didn't say that at all. I don't even consider a difference between the 800 and the 400 because we've not seen an 800 device actually perform to 800. Either one is better than having ONLY USB 2.0 as an option.

I don't care if it is 400, 800, or 3200, leave at least 1 freaking FireWire port, we can easily work around the 400/800 conversion that is cake. There are no options if ALL FW is removed.
  • Reply 792 of 1665
    Quote:

It's half the speed that still outperforms USB 2.0 in every way.
  • Reply 793 of 1665
    I'm glad to see that the discussion is still alive.

I feel that those of us who feel strongly about getting FW back should continue to voice our opinions.

right now my 13" macBook still works, but I dread the day I might have to replace it for something bigger. which will mean I'll have to replace my shoulder bag, my backpack, my camera bag, my music hardware case, and the set up of my studio as well. the cost of this combined with the minimum of 700 euro extra costs for the macBook itself is just outrageous.

my other choice is to stick with the 13" format (which I would prefer), but that will render my pro video camera, several audio interfaces and one of my harddrives useless. and to replace those would be even more expensive than option one.

yes I know the whiteBook has firewire, but that is just a clearance sale, it will be gone in a couple of months, plus if I HAVE to get a new one, I'd love to finally have my graphics card up to par with modern times. it was a hard enough decision as it was when I bought my blackBook, as I was weighing out the pro's and con's of size, price and video card.
  • Reply 794 of 1665
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I'm just baffled at the decision to unnecessarily remove FireWire from a $1300 notebook, it just doesn't make sence, and they can only chalk it up to "because I said so" as the reason.

You'll find the demand is definately there. I don't personally know a Mac user that doesn't have a plethora of FireWire Devices they rely on all the time. And the sheer fact that Canon does not have a single MiniDV camera not using FireWire exclusively to import video will push that as well. FireWire just does everything better. I could see if there were some advantages to USB 2.0, but there aren't. Maybe they have something new on the horizon, who knows, I can generally understand where Apple is going with most of their palns, and I am generally out there explaining the logic, but in this case, I am having a hard time...

Demand for 400, to an extent, yes.
  • Reply 795 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zauner View Post

To all the people who claim FW is too expensive to built in: How come that a Western Digital harddrive with FW (and eSATA, bei the way) is only 15? more expensive than a naked USB 2.0 version? They have to include an additional controller, sockets, have to pay license fees etc....?

In general what makes me think:

So far we had two very distinctive lines of MBs and MBPs and the ultra-portable Air.

Now it's only one design left...? One fits all? Added by a desktop range of iMacs which now look like blown-up Macbooks with a desktop stand...?

Is THIS really all Apple is able to offer?

Nothing wrong with just 800. a simple cable with 800 on one end and 400 on the other is all you need.
  • Reply 796 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooped View Post

I'm glad to see that the discussion is still alive.

I feel that those of us who feel strongly about getting FW back should continue to voice our opinions.

right now my 13" macBook still works, but I dread the day I might have to replace it for something bigger. which will mean I'll have to replace my shoulder bag, my backpack, my camera bag, my music hardware case, and the set up of my studio as well. the cost of this combined with the minimum of 700 euro extra costs for the macBook itself is just outrageous.

my other choice is to stick with the 13" format (which I would prefer), but that will render my pro video camera, several audio interfaces and one of my harddrives useless. and to replace those would be even more expensive than option one.

yes I know the whiteBook has firewire, but that is just a clearance sale, it will be gone in a couple of months, plus if I HAVE to get a new one, I'd love to finally have my graphics card up to par with modern times. it was a hard enough decision as it was when I bought my blackBook, as I was weighing out the pro's and con's of size, price and video card.

I hate to point it but this is not the right channel to make your voice heard. I suggest you to go to www.apple.com/support and post or reply to one of the many topics about the matter. That way you ensure that your voice can be heard by the right people. Also if you are "extreme" about the thing, I saw on the Apple Store that some people is making reviews of the new macbook and pointing the FW shortcoming. I do not endorse the last but if it really eating your guts from the inside go for it.
  • Reply 797 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dposxfan View Post

It's not about having FW400 & FW800, it's about having two FW ports. How about two FW800 ports on the MBP and one on the MB. Or even a FW800 & a FW3200 on the MBP.

Forget 3200. It's not likely that Apple will support it, and I can't think of a singlereason they should.

FW is now on the dying edge, before, it was on the bleeding edge.

In a year, there will no longer be a need for it.

Look, Apple never properly supported it. Once they saw they wouldn't be able to get the 25¢ per port licensing fees they were counting on, they lost interest. And that was many years ago. Since then they've supported it reluctantly.

800 was 18 months late. 1600 should have been here almost 18 months ago, and 3200 should have been here already.

These delays have cost it leadership.

Now, USB 3 and Power Over SATA will take over in 2009.

It will take a bit of time to completely fade away, but it's already started.
  • Reply 798 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

I hate to point it but this is not the right channel to make your voice heard. I suggest you to go to www.apple.com/support and post or reply to one of the many topics about the matter. That way you ensure that your voice can be heard by the right people. Also if you are "extreme" about the thing, I saw on the Apple Store that some people is making reviews of the new macbook and pointing the FW shortcoming. I do not endorse the last but if it really eating your guts from the inside go for it.

hmmm.

the last thing I heard is that apple deleted those threads, so they are back up?

I did send in the apple support form and mailed steve personally, but so far I didn't get a reply yet
  • Reply 799 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Forget 3200. It's not likely that Apple will support it, and I can't think of a singlereason they should.

FW is now on the dying edge, before, it was on the bleeding edge.

In a year, there will no longer be a need for it.

Look, Apple never properly supported it. Once they saw they wouldn't be able to get the 25¢ per port licensing fees they were counting on, they lost interest. And that was many years ago. Since then they've supported it reluctantly.

800 was 18 months late. 1600 should have been here almost 18 months ago, and 3200 should have been here already.

These delays have cost it leadership.

Now, USB 3 and Power Over SATA will take over in 2009.

It will take a bit of time to completely fade away, but it's already started.

That is fine, but we're not there yet. At this point it just looks like an arbitraty decision, if you are going to dump the FireWire, then you'd better put something on there to make up for it, especially if you aren't going to lower the price on the system.
  • Reply 800 of 1665
    Quote:

That is fine, but we're not there yet. At this point it just looks like an arbitraty decision, if you are going to dump the FireWire, then you'd better put something on there to make up for it, especially if you aren't going to lower the price on the system.

I think they should have waited. But perhaps the new replacements are being delayed, and Apple had engineering reasons why they couldn't get FW back in. Who knows?