Apple profits rise 26% on sales of 2.6M Macs, 6.8M iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

It'll be interesting to see the reaction on wall street tomorrow.

I wonder how APPL is doing in after hour trading?

up 6.36 points at 5:25 Wall Street time...
  • Reply 22 of 83
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    So obviously...Apple is doomed!

(Someone besides Steve Ballmer had to say it.)
  • Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

up 6.36 points at 5:25 Wall Street time...

Strange. CNBC reported that AAPL was down to $88 in after hours, but my quote shows up over $5
  • Reply 24 of 83
    Up up and away goes the stock - erasing nearly all the losses from today. 97.55 right now.

Edit: Up into the 99's now - covering all the days losses and then some. I wish they would count it as today because I think tomorrow people might be less likely to invest if they see a 15%+ gain vs a 6-7% gain.

Edit 2: And there is goes past 100!
  • Reply 25 of 83
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    I think the iPhone number beats the street's expectations, and of course, Apple makes way more money from each iPhone than from each Mac (and iPod), that's why the margin is higher than expected.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    If it wasnt for the defereed rev , the Iphone would have represented 39% of Q4 revenue !!!!!

Incredible..i now understand what Jobs is present..He keeps talking about the Iphone...Have you heard when He mentioned : " Apple is now the world 3rd largest mobile manufacturer "

ahahahhhhahaha

Its now at 97.69 @ 5:33 ( highest was 98.60 )...

If it breaks the $100 barrier...expect a crazy day tomorrow !
  • Reply 27 of 83
    Oppenheimer and Jobs seems so comfortable and positive ..loveeeee that !
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Will rise to around $110 tomorrow
  • Reply 29 of 83
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Am I wrong in thinking that this isn't necessarily a good thing? Won't hackers, crackers, and other 'really not nice people' change their focus toward Macs? Keep a low profile or be targeted.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

It'll be interesting to see the reaction on wall street tomorrow.

On the surface Apple beat the numbers. But I suspect that had a lot to do with how they are booking iPhone revenue.

Mac sales were below most analyst's estimates and revenue was below most analyst's estimates. While the numbers are good, investors may have expected even better.

I wonder how APPL is doing in after hour trading?

It's going up in after hours trading.

This is the main reason for it:

Quote:

"We're very pleased to have grown revenue 35 percent and to have generated $9.1 billion in cash in fiscal 2008," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. "Looking ahead, visibility is low and forecasting is challenging, and as a result we are going to be prudent in predicting the December quarter. We are providing a wide range for our guidance, targeting revenue of $9.0 to $10.0 billion and earnings per diluted share between $1.06 and $1.35."

Growing revenues in a recession means a blue chip stock that is growing, even against the negatives.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

I think the iPhone number beats the street's expectations, and of course, Apple makes way more money from each iPhone than from each Mac (and iPod), that's why the margin is higher than expected.

huh? More money from iPhone than Macs?? I'm going to guess you're just kidding.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Jobs on netbooks: "We have some pretty itneresting ideas if the category evolves"

Oh to be

In Apple R&D
  • Reply 33 of 83
    99.86 @ 5:43 !!!! ahahahhah go ahead babyyyyyy !
  • Reply 34 of 83
    It seems to me that I read somewhere that Apple makes $375 on a sale of an iPhone. That comes from the sale itself and what AT&T kicks back. Does anyone know for sure what the figures are?
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jchahuteur View Post

99.86 @ 5:43 !!!! ahahahhah go ahead babyyyyyy !

Where did you find that? The AI News says: AAPLt 91.49 ( -6.95 ) at this time.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Where did you find that? The AI News says: AAPLt 91.49 ( -6.95 ) at this time.

finance.google.com

awesome site!
  • Reply 37 of 83
    Now $101.72.

Just watch CNBC: They are showing after hours ticker.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Apple beat the numbers DESPITE the way they account for the iPhone and Apple TV.

They take the revenue for both over 24 months which means they have only reported 3 months of revenue for the 6 million phone sold in the quarter. The rest will be taken over the next 21 months and will provide a constant revenue stream regardless of how many phones they sell over that period.

It's a rather circular argument.

The analysts already knew about the accounting method --- that's why the analysts have estimated those numbers.

Without the subscription accounting method, Apple's revenue would have been 11.7 billion dollars --- and then the wall street analysts would have estimated about 12.5 billion dollars in revenue.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

"And $25 billion of cash safely in the bank with zero debt.?

Today, you have to ask "Which bank?"

LOL, in China. Apple is smart that way. Or better, in their own iBank.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    The important #s for Apple to beat are not their own projections but the street's whisper #s. Apple's guidance is usually conservative.

Reading their release is amazing. I'd ask someone to pinch me as it reads like I'm in the late 90s during the .com boom.

Truly an amazing company with world class products. I like that they are issuing non-GAAP numbers, which further illustrate the power of their mobile business.

Personally, I'd prefer they used some of that cash to lower margins. They'd make it up in volume. But what can you say to a company that's firing on all cylinders except keep doing what you're doing.