Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If anyone is wondering how fast new MBP runs with SDD

2.5 ghz, 4 gig RAM, 128 gig OZC SDD II.

http://vimeo.com/2023047

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You see the way you can press the power button and then press Return/Shut down.

Why can't we do that on our iMacs?

P.S. The ProBook looked like it was loading some boot cache, if you try to start that again it should be faster the next time.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Wasn't that quite slow?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    id64id64 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Wasn't that quite slow?

Well, most of the time of the boot process taken by "bios". SSD kicks in right after apple logo with spinning thingy shows up. And the time from that point to the complete boot is significantly faster. I don't have 2 MPB's so I can demonstrate
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Anyone who can't get acronyms right doesn't deserve a computer.

SSD = Solid State Disk

And you wrote OZS (not OZC) on your video title.

Just saying.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    id64id64 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnteChrist View Post

SSD = Solid State Disk

Just saying.

You are absolutely right. I apologize for a typo and will send my computer to a local charity.

I am expecting you to do the same thing since it's OCZ and not OZC

Cheers
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

SSD = Solid State Disk

Just saying.

He wrote what the video site wrote: "OZS SDD in new MacBook Pro 2.5 , 4 g RAM"

Does your name mean 'before Christ' or did you mean to write "antiChrist" - against Christ?

Anyone who can't get his own name right doesn't deserve to be an AI member. "Just saying." Whatever the he__ that means.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    No, it means "Ante", as in an "ante". So I'm all set.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    But really, let's see if we can get two MBPs... One with SSD and other with HDD... boot tests and times? I can remember when Apple first went to Intel, there were videos all over the internet showing off the boot times compared to PPC boots.

Someone out there MUST have the $$$ to own 2 MBPs...
  • Reply 9 of 19
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

No, it means "Ante", as in an "ante". So I'm all set.

Is that ante as in "before" or putting your money in the pot?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheKid2020 View Post

But really, let's see if we can get two MBPs... One with SSD and other with HDD... boot tests and times? I can remember when Apple first went to Intel, there were videos all over the internet showing off the boot times compared to PPC boots.

Someone out there MUST have the $$$ to own 2 MBPs...

You only really need one as the drives are really easy to replace now. I doubt people would opt for Apple's SSD when you can get the OCZ one much cheaper so they would have 2 drives.

Here is PC SSD vs 7200rpm HDD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt6Vb...eature=related

Benchmarks generally show SSD as around double the speed of a 7200 rpm HDD.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You only really need one as the drives are really easy to replace now. I doubt people would opt for Apple's SSD when you can get the OCZ one much cheaper so they would have 2 drives.

Here is PC SSD vs 7200rpm HDD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt6Vb...eature=related

Benchmarks generally show SSD as around double the speed of a 7200 rpm HDD.

If one is manually replacing the 7200 RPM drive from the new MBP with the OCZ II, does anyone make an external enclosure so that you can at least use the extra drive for VM images, etc.?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jordzilla View Post

If one is manually replacing the 7200 RPM drive from the new MBP with the OCZ II, does anyone make an external enclosure so that you can at least use the extra drive for VM images, etc.?

Yes there are external enclosures from Macally etc. I would only do this if you bought the 7200 rpm one though. If you planned on using SSD before purchase, buy the cheaper 5400 rpm drive and put the saving towards SSD.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Damnn... I didn't expect the SSD to be that much faster. Thanks for the link!

One other question, battery life... what are people seeing compared to HDDs?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

It wasn't faster, on start up.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

One other question, battery life... what are people seeing compared to HDDs?

I think battery life is improved but not that much - there are some figures on this site:

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Four...-Mtron/?page=3

The interesting part is that these drives are holding up against a 10,000 rpm velociraptor drive. In fact, still getting faster read performance. This is why they boot so fast because they can read all the small files so much quicker.

Write performance is about the same, sometimes less than the 10k but they are dead silent and we're still talking in excess of 80MB/s.

I still don't know if it's a good idea just yet to go for one (unless you have some money to burn) as they are fairly new and some people aren't getting the performance they expect - this could be due to their drive controllers. The tech is at a stage where it's starting to become viable storage-wise vs HDD:

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/prod...-250SSD2&af=50

250GB for £512.

Prices will be coming down as competitors get in on it. If the price halves by next year, I will be switching. I could switch this year to 128GB but I'll hold out a bit longer for the first revisions to get out the way.

2009 looks to be the year for performance computing: SSD, GPU computing, quad core mobile chips. This time next year, the computing scene will be very different.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

2009 looks to be the year for performance computing: SSD, GPU computing, quad core mobile chips. This time next year, the computing scene will be very different.

I'll be expecting a 17" MacBook Pro with a quad-core CPU, 16GB RAM, four 256GB SSDs (configured as a RAID array) & dual nVidia QuadroFX Mobile GPUs in SLI mode (AND supporting/running OpenCL at the same time)...

Oh, and can I get that in a convertible laptop/tablet...?!? Thanks Steve!

• Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I'll be expecting a 17" MacBook Pro with a quad-core CPU, 16GB RAM, four 256GB SSDs (configured as a RAID array) & dual nVidia QuadroFX Mobile GPUs in SLI mode (AND supporting/running OpenCL at the same time)...

On that machine, Office for Mac will finally run at the same speed as the Windows version on a Pentium 3. Of course then they'll release Office 2009 where the interface is raytraced in 3D.

Here are some more benchmarks:

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-64g...hmarks-278717/

Random writes seem to be an issue with SSD and people have noted bottlenecks writing multiple files at once. This article says that RAID-0 can get round some of these issues:

http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship/

I noticed there was a recommendation to use an Nvidia chipset. I wonder if better SSD performance was part of Apple's Nvidia chipset choice.

Here's a single drive in the old MBP with installation:

http://www.slashgear.com/slashgear-e...ok-pro-098426/

No benchmark but they mention Samsung says 10-15% battery life improvement. You're talking maybe half an hour extra. Every improvement helps I guess. If you get an extra hour from integrated graphics and half an hour from SSD, it all adds up.

For raw performance, I think I'd prefer i-Ram over SSD:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...te,1111-9.html

Basically use Ram DIMMs in a box for storage. RAID-0:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOpaXbnmbnw

If you lose all power including backup battery your data is gone though so it's not great for that but the performance is incredible. Ah, the good old days of the Ramdisk. Shame it would be £10 per GB vs £2 per GB for SSD vs £0.10 per GB for HDD.

Price is one point that is sometimes overlooked in the SSD discussions. SSD performance can rival a 10k drive and those drives actually costs £0.50-1.00 per GB so SSD is closing in on the price/performance ratio. Half the price next year, sort out the write issues and they are on even ground. Plus they will go into a laptop much more easily than a 10k drive.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Unless you need something that will stay alive and are worried about your data, stick with higher capacity. I have gone back and forth on my thoughts about this and I need 500 GB, for my laptop. Currently this seems to be good enough for whatever. Seagate should be getting there's out at OWC soon, or before xmas... so basically get the 320... if you can with the config you want

Laters...
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Ideally a couple of 128GB SSD (maybe Patriot Memory ones) in Raid 0 would do the trick. Any one knows if the SuperDrive cavity is deep enough to put in the SATA2 SSD drive ?. I remembered someone did that on the old model with OptiBay drive housing.