Matte Screen Petition

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    get over it, I cracked and got a new MBP and could care less anymore, live to grow, grow to live.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    My advice to you is to either get over it or stop buying Macs. Apple is never going back.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

My advice to you is to either get over it or stop buying Macs. Apple is never going back.

Ditto. Regardless of any brand computer, everything is going glossy. Adapt to the times or keep you current comp forever.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Don't start a new one. This one is already going strong...
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luke... View Post

Matt Screen Petition

Luke, GFY! HTH
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

Don't start a new one. This one is already going strong...

Signed. Two and a half thousand signatures x £1000 is a lot of money talking.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

No, it's really not.

Apple does not develop innovative products by building a matrix of features that customers request. The iPhone would never have been invented in that case. It's like the Firewire issue... and the time when everyone whined when they stopped including a floppy drive.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

When was the last time Apple listened to a petition? LMAO
  • Reply 9 of 22
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrettInLJ View Post

Apple does not develop innovative products by building a matrix of features that customers request.

Well, in the stevenote he said that he MacBook was the result of the three most frequent requests, which I think were aluminum, better graphics, and a less cheap price...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johndoe View Post

When was the last time Apple listened to a petition?

They brought the FW800 back on the original MBP because of massive complains.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Point of interest: I've just been around 3 of the biggest Apple retailers in London, including the Apple Store, and reps at every one of em told me they'd turned away a lot of customers put off by the glossy screens.

I think there's a tendency to think the iration over this is confined to fanboy sites and forums, but if enough ordinary people are walking out of the shop without buying these things because the reflections hurt their heads, eyes or productivity, Apple will have to listen, whether they have the humility to admit it or not.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Point of interest: I've just been around 3 of the biggest Apple retailers in London, including the Apple Store, and reps at every one of em told me they'd turned away a lot of customers put off by the glossy screens.

I think there's a tendency to think the iration over this is confined to fanboy sites and forums, but if enough ordinary people are walking out of the shop without buying these things because the reflections hurt their heads, eyes or productivity, Apple will have to listen, whether they have the humility to admit it or not.

I wonder if these complaints are being forwarded to the decsion-maker(s) at Apple corporate?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    signed it.

I am sig. 3,377

and I as well as many other are now looking to purchase a used last generation macbook pro - in "matte"

didnt realize a petition had already started.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

There's a difference between work environments and retail environments. Personally, I've never had a problem with my MB's screen at home, work, or coffee shop -- but they reflect a lot of light at the Stores.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

There's a difference between work environments and retail environments. Personally, I've never had a problem with my MB's screen at home, work, or coffee shop -- but they reflect a lot of light at the Stores.

The point is, the glossy screen's a major turn-off for a lot of potential buyers.

It's not a case of people getting used to Apple's amazing, mirror-like offerings; it's a case of people walking into stores, messing around on the machines for a bit then walking out without buying.

That's bad news for Apple and potentially good for those of us who need a matte screen option.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'm sure if it came down to it, Apple can add the matte display as a BTO option. But they're probably just seeing if they can ride this out.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I'm sure if it came down to it, Apple can add the matte display as a BTO option. But they're probably just seeing if they can ride this out.

I agree. That's why it's important to keep the pressure up . Could take a few months though.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The glass panel stretches across the entire lid, from edge to edge.

It's a much bigger deal than just offering two screens.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Hi, my name is Matt Screen. What can I do for you guys?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The glass panel stretches across the entire lid, from edge to edge.

It's a much bigger deal than just offering two screens.

actually it shouldnt be any different than with the older version with the plastic covering...

I used to be a custom picture framer, and we had various glass types to choose from:

clear - your standard cheapo glass

non-glare - no glare but very fuzzy, especially if it was raised at all above the artwork [like if there was a mat, or in this case if it is above a distance from the screen element at all]

and the most expensive but very awesome:

museum glass

it was crystal clear, but was also glare proof...i know hard to believe, it was amazing stuff.

now it may not work in computer display purposes, but what ever type of treatment they did to the last versions plastic glossy screens can be done to this piece of glass.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    I think an image says more than a thousand words....

These first images were actually posted by a guy that loves the MacBook, and pretends that glare isn't a problem.... judge by yourself:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/IMG_2132.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/IMG_2134.jpg

minimal brightness

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/IMG_2138.jpg

medium brightness:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/IMG_2139.jpg

maximum brightness;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/IMG_2140.jpg

he pretends that at maximum brightness, reflections have disappeared....

And here is the first part of a french test:

http://www.legrandforum.com/avis/Ord...ujet_576_1.htm

Nuff said.... I made exactly the same experience at a french store today.... and left it as the the happy owner of a brand new 2.5Ghz February 2008 MacBookPro at a bargain price!

P.S. I doubt that anyone that will have actually seen those images will NOT sign the petition....