Apple device sized between iPhone, MacBook detected online

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple chief Steve Jobs' has dismissed any immediate plans to enter the netbook field, but a new discovery online points to a mystery device with a resolution in between its pocketable devices and its notebooks.

While expanding an article on Jobs' wait-and-see approach to netbooks, which are described as part of a young field, New York Times technology writer John Markoff remarked on Wednesday that a search engine firm has noticed an "unannounced product" from Apple in its web visit logs.

The company has asked not to have its name revealed but is willing to say the alleged hardware has a display resolution somewhere between iPhone 3G's 480x320 and the 1280x800 of the 13-inch MacBook. The device name itself is also kept secret.

Such a scope is unusually broad but still leaves any potential device in limbo regarding Apple's conventional lineup. With most display makers opting for widescreen LCDs, the most common choices from outside PC builders in between Apple's two extremes are 800x480 and 1024x600. The former resolution has been used by both netbooks and very high-resolution handhelds, while the latter is now used mostly by netbooks; neither would be a clear indication by itself. Another option, 720x480, is also used for some handhelds as well as DVDs.

However, Jobs' comments as well as known projects in development at Apple may provide insights as to Apple's ultimate direction should the unknown device translate to a shipping product rather than stand as one of the prototypes the company frequently shelves when it proves unfeasible.

Jobs himself downplays the importance of jumping into netbooks early and describes the iPhone is a "pretty good solution" for many of the functions of the mini-portables, which are usually counted upon for basic web browsing, chat and email.

Also, AppleInsider remains confident that the Cupertino, Calif.-based electronics maker is still developing its larger multi-touch tablet, which would provide more computer-like features and more screen area than either the iPhone or iPod touch. Although it's not known what if anything has changed since the device was pushed past its initially suggested launch timeframe, the hardware when first described was said to be about 50 percent larger than the iPhone and might use the extra breathing room for added software features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    Easy... this is someone that has a netbook and is using an iphone to tether to the internet.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Jobs has been known to downplay a product or market and later on we see Apple release a product to compete with current players.

If this "device" has been detected online, perhaps we'll get some insight during MacWorld 09 or later next year.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Thanks for deleting my non-threatning post. Exactly how was my post upsetting to your thread or forum for that matter? If my post did not break any forum rules kindly re-post it please.

And yeah....mactouch ftw!
  • Reply 4 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Jobs has been known to downplay a product or market and later on we see Apple release a product to compete with current players.

If this "device" has been detected online, perhaps we'll get some insight during MacWorld 09 or later next year.

Insight? Its going to debut at the next MacWorld.......right macronin....ireland?
  • Reply 5 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It would be hard to be more vague than that.

How does a search engine know the screen size? Is there a javascript call that a web app can use, and then send that information back to the server?
  • Reply 6 of 81
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    1. Let's hope Apple really does release a netbook and release it soon. If you look at the top 25 Notebook sellers on Amazon, atleast 15 of them are netbooks. Right now I using a Dell Mini 9 with OSx. But I would gladly pay $7-$800 for an Apple netbook as long as it has the following:

MAX. 10 screen size

MAX. 3 lb weight

MAX 1 inch thickness

Glossy Screen

Non-soldered RAM

2. Steve pretty much shut the door on any type of tablet at the last event when the macbooks were released. Saying that Appleinsider is confident that Apple is still going to release one is pretty laughable. Seems like a tactic to get new users to visit the site when doing web searches.
  • Reply 7 of 81
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    If everybody has an iPhone, would one want a "bigger iPhone OSX device" as well? And an iMac? I don't know how many Apple devices there are room for. A "bigger iPhone OSX device" would perhaps be that $500 computer just being dismissed by Jobs himself.

I must say, since I got an iPhone my lust after an Apple tablet has diminished to nearly zero. I already have an Apple tablet.. a very portable one.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

If everybody has an iPhone, would one want a "bigger iPhone OSX device" as well? And an iMac? I don't know how many Apple devices there are room for. A "bigger iPhone OSX device" would perhaps be that $500 computer just being dismissed by Jobs himself.

I must say, since I got an iPhone my lust after an Apple tablet has diminished to nearly zero. I already have an Apple tablet.. a very portable one.

Steve says frequently that the public often hasn't a clue about what they want or need. Often times Steve has to show them!
  • Reply 9 of 81
    Sorry folks, but no need to be alarmed. That was me surfing on my "NetMac Wind One EE".

Probably was just a person with OSX installed on an MSI Wind or Aspire One, or Asus EEEPc.

1024x600... that fits right between the two resolutions.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    How do they know this isn't just someone who has installed OS X on their linux/windows netbook?
  • Reply 11 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It would be hard to be more vague than that.

How does a search engine know the screen size? Is there a javascript call that a web app can use, and then send that information back to the server?

There are some JavaScript functions available for getting the dimensions of the screen:

http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/newtech3.shtml

My question is: Isn't it more likely that someone installed Mac OS X on an OQO or an Eee PC?
  • Reply 12 of 81
    Quote:

Jobs' comments

Jobs's comments.

Why can't anybody get this right?
  • Reply 13 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post

There are some JavaScript functions available for getting the dimensions of the screen:

http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/newtech3.shtml

My question is: Isn't it more likely that someone installed Mac OS X on an OQO or an Eee PC?

I don't how that can be more likely.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

Jobs's comments.

It can be written either way.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    Whats the difference in a netbook and a MacTouch? Couldn't this be some testing of a new MacTouch?
  • Reply 16 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

Jobs's comments.

Dude... either works. And "Jobs' Comments" is the best way to write it anyway...
  • Reply 17 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I don't how that can be more likely.

msi-wind-netbook-running-apple-os-x-leopard

os-x-touchscreen-netbook-gigabyte-m912x
  • Reply 18 of 81
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

It can be written either way.

Yes, the right way and the wrong way.
  • Reply 19 of 81
    As I understand it, "Jobs's" would be correct. However, the 's is omitted for "Jesus'" so maybe there is something there .
  • Reply 20 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Yes, the right way and the wrong way.

Both variations are acceptable under the English language rules. The form "Jobs'" is more common in publication because it saves ink. "Jobs's" is more common for uptight English professors. In everyday writing, however, they are interchangeable.