QuickTime Streaming: question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is it possible to plug in a FireWire video camera into an OS X box running QTTS and "serve" live camera content over the net in real-time using the free QTTS app, or do I need a special 3rd-party app?

I want to stream live video of my IT data center as a make-shift security camera, so I can see my servers from home via a web browser.

Is this possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bkuchtabkuchta Posts: 18member
    This should be possible when ever apple decides to ship QT6 and their live streaming app. Till then there's Sorenson Broadcaster but that'll cost you money and I think it only works in 9.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    That's a really expensive makeshift security camera.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    peggespegges Posts: 56member
    Why not just use an ordinary web cam? It's not like there's going to be too much action in the cata centre at night?

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: Pegges ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    How about this. Can I do this?

If I have OS X running on a beige G3 (with the Apple A/V personality card), can I use a Sony high-8 video cam as my web cam (connecting the cam via RCA composite cables to the A/V inputs on my G3)?

Im not sure is OS X will even recognize the Apple AV card in the beige G3!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rodrod Posts: 7member
    If you've got already a firewire cam, you can just use coolcam, which is a nice webcam tool. It even has motion detection implemented! And it will recognize your firewire cam. And there is an OS X version.

- rod