Apple device sized between iPhone, MacBook detected online

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    I could care less if Apple released a netbook because I would never buy one. It's already hard enough working on a 13" screen, much less a 5" - 8" one. Keep the small screens for phones and tablets.
  • Reply 62 of 81
    Please take the English grammar discussion elsewhere. This is a forum about future Apple hardware. Any moderators around? Also, this is (I hope) a global forum with a lot of non-native English speakers, so let's not be picky about grammar and spelling.

I think it's a given that Apple are working on some kind och touch-based tablet. My hope and prediction is that it will be launced at MWSF 09. Personally, I'm hoping for full OS X, but perhaps a scaled up iPhone makes more sense. About 10 inches would also be my ideal size

/Daniel
  • Reply 63 of 81
    Interesting comments.

I travel for business and I want a capable, not necessarily cheap, Mac NetBook.

The Eee PC size is OK--it won't get crushed when the person ahead of you suddenly reclines the plane seat.

In the past month at technical conference in the USA and Asia, I've seen many engineers using small laptops that are in the $1500-2000 price range but a little over 2 pounds in weight.

When traveling, they need e-mail and web access plus something like OpenOffice/neoOffice for simple documents.

For me, weight is critical and I need a 2 pound maximum NetBook. Also, Airlines are moving toward a plan that will charge you by the pound for both checked and carryon items.

A modest price would be attractive since US airport security staffs can seize anyone's laptop without cause and you have no idea if and when it will be returned. A sub-$1000 price would make the loss or seizure of a NetBook less painful.

The iPhone does not work for multi-paragraph send/receive e-mails, especially if you have large fingers.

If I could use Apple mail on it, that would be great.

Until then, I'm thinking about the hack for putting Mac OSX on an Eee PC.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Sounds like it may be the Apple tablet.

I bet it will be more along this kind of line. Personally, I'm betting on some kind of iMac-meets-iPhone sort of setup.

Picture a 13" screen on a stand of some sort, bundled with BT keyboard and Mighty Mouse. It's essentially an iMac while on your desk, but then grab the whole screen and stick it in your bag to go. Software keyboard and multi-touch like the iPhone and iPod Touch when you're mobile.

Hell, they could even make it so that you could buy a data plan from your local 3G carrier so that you would have mobile web access in addition to WiFi when on the road.

I know I would be near the front of the line if Apple ever produced something like that.

Cheers.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    If you have an iPhone and a MacBook/Mac Book Pro, when exactly do you feel the need to take a third device along? And why? Three is sort of a crowd here. So while we would all love to see this thing, would we really use it?

So there are two distinct approaches. One is that, indeed, the new device has such a good set of capabilities, interface, and physical characteristics, that you are compelled to take three devices with you.

The other approach is that the device would be a notebook replacement for various situations. In this case it would have to have a real keyboard, perhaps something very thin connected through bluetooth that would go into a pocket of the device when not in use. But such a device would have a 13" screen with full 1280 x 800 resolution, so that's not it.

Are readers popular? Anybody know how the Kindle is doing? The Sony reader? Computers are not comfortable for long reading stints. You need something book-like. Perhaps a 7" screen or so, but with high resolution, so again a low-res device seems unlikely. It would also do video and browsing. But again, when do you take this with you? And Steve has said people don't read anymore. Does he really think that?

Perhaps a new iPhone? Except this time the entire glass surface is a screen. Time will tell.

This is exactly the kind of situation where Jobs judgment is key. There are a lot of possibilities. You need someone with insight into what will be compelling, rather than merely cool looking and technically possible.
  • Reply 66 of 81
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    10" convertible netbook/tablet with WiFi & 3G; 'always available' internet access.

2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, nVidia 9400M.

Multi-touch AND stylus input, stylus included & stored in the device.

Standard Apple VOIP software for 'unlimited' telephone calls (United States, Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands).

GPS & backlit keyboard standard.

3 hour battery, MagSafe charging port. Hot-swap capable battery with access as seen on new uni-body MacBooks.

Stereo BlueTooth headset (with microphone) for an extra US$129.00!

Subsidized through AT&T, US$699.00; two-year contract, US$79.00/month unlimited data (including VOIP) plan.

Let the flaming begin!

• Reply 67 of 81
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

Jobs's comments.

Why can't anybody get this right?

I teach college English. It can be used either way: Jobs' or Jobs's. However, the trend (common usage) is toward dropping the last 's' as it sounds awkward - "Jobses"
  • Reply 68 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

10" convertible netbook/tablet with WiFi & 3G; 'always available' internet access.

Standard Apple VOIP software for 'unlimited' telephone calls (United States, Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands).

3 hour battery, MagSafe charging port. Hot-swap capable battery with access as seen on new uni-body MacBooks.

Subsidized through AT&T, US$699.00; two-year contract, US$79.00/month unlimited data (including VOIP) plan.

Let the flaming begin!

There there, you're not feeling well. Go back to sleep.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I teach college English. It can be used either way: Jobs' or Jobs's. However, the trend (common usage) is toward dropping the last 's' as it sounds awkward - "Jobses"

Yeah but you teach Mercan-English!

/s
  • Reply 70 of 81
    This is easy:

Steve Jobs-speak: ""We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk, and our DNA will not let us ship that. "

Translation: "Apple will introduce a $600 netbook soon."
  • Reply 71 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There there, you're not feeling well. Go back to sleep.

Like you wouldn't be all over that little 10" beauty...!

• Reply 72 of 81
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah but you teach Mercan-English!

/s

True, but I read a considerable amount of current literature by Irish, Scots (Scottish?), and English writers. I'm English (sorry about that, Ireland.) There seems to be a trend toward using "Mercanisms". Case in point: the use of 'Judgment' instead of the UK 'judgement'. That being said, I wish it weren't so. I prefer UK spelling and grammar. Oh well, everything evolves. Nostalgia loses out.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themoonisdown09 View Post

I've lived in the US all my life. I went to private schools all my life. All my teachers have said that if it ends in an 's', you just use an apostrophe only.

If it's PLURAL you just use an apostrophe only. Not all words that end in 's' are plural. Well, that's the way I learned it.

I'm as much of an English geek as I am a computer geek, so I've enjoyed both threads in this discussion. It reminds me of the Typo Eradication Advancement League.
  • Reply 74 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It seems like it's the ones whom are so adamant about spelling and grammar, that so often get it wrong.
    ?*Apple, Inc. = USA

? AppleInsider.com domain registration = USA

? Apple Insider writer country of residence = All USA (I think)

? Highest number of total English speakers = USA

? Highest number of 1st language as English speakers = USA

? Highest number of English speakers using the internet = USA

?*Michael Phelps = USA

So why would they write it in a British-ish manner.

Can't we end all these hurt feelings & arguments and focus on something every reasonable Brit & Yank can agree on: Human beings who insert "like" into sentences where they don't belong ought to be put in prison. Oh, and anyone who makes noise when they chew gum. I can't prove it, but I believe this (growing) group of people is responsible for the current economic crisis. Mock them openly and often...
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Oh, is there a manual that is famous among landlords?

Thank you for the catch.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I have to disagree.

As previously referenced, the proper form was supposedly based on, "The informal rule is to use whatever is most convenient when spoken."

And the examples given were:
    1. Jesus? ministry lasted just three years.

2. My conscience? naggings prevented me from robbing the bank.

3. Les?s house has a red door.

As explained in the Chicago Manual, if you say the first two sentences aloud as written, they don't follow the 'informal rule' at all. However, the first two sentences are in fact noted exceptions to the rule, i.e., "Traditional exceptions to the general rule for forming the names Jesus and Moses:
    in Jesus' name Moses' leadership
    and? "There is one notable exception to the rule for common nouns, a case wherein tradition and euphone dictate the use of the apostrophe only:
    for conscience' sake
    Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the AP Stylebook which is basically a style and usage guide used by newspapers. Considering the relative newness of the Stylebook, it wouldn't surprise me if the original editors misunderstood the classic rules or decided to strip-down as for which they have been noted, e.g.,

"As for those possessive nouns, the fashion today is to represent the s-sound (however imperfectly) in the spelling. The stripped-down AP style, "though easy to apply," says the Chicago Manual, "disregards pronunciation and thus seems unnatural to many." http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ide...y_punctuation/

Perhaps for the sake of brevity or the computer age, it reminds me of the style that has been used in teaching math in public schools, i.e., for numbers for less than a thousand, the comma is removed and for numbers over a thousand, the comma is replaced with a space (used in displaying scientific numbers). For example: 2,008 is written as 2008 and 2,456 as 12 456.

It turns out that the change came about with the advent of the computer which would automatically insert the proper punctuation, i.e., the comma, as a thousand separator. In turn, graphic designers/typographers took the liberty to carry the style over when composing text books. Often declaring it a a universal styles to conform to so-called international standards.

Unfortunately, this so-called 'Graphic Standard' as it is so now called, has brought up generation of students who often don't line up numbers properly when adding, subtracting, multipyin, ect., because of being taught a style that is neither accepted in business, banks, government agencies, national accounting practices, etc.,

So, as the rules of punctuation dictate, 4 digit numbers do not use the comma as a separator so as not to confuse a number representing a 'year'.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I'm with all the way, except for the stylus. Who wants a stylus? Could you explain your thinking? Handwriting?

/Daniel
  • Reply 78 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

I'm with all the way, except for the stylus. Who wants a stylus? Could you explain your thinking? Handwriting?

/Daniel

Some of us have moved beyond fingerpainting for drawing...

• Reply 79 of 81
    Apple's still charging $600 for the Mini so there no way they'll cram a more capable machine into a smaller space, include a 10" screen and battery and not sell the thing for hundreds of dollars more.

If it shows up, it'll be more like $800 or $900 and likely be sporting an ARM or Atom processor -- much more an overgrown ipod touch than a mini macbook.
  • Reply 80 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Apple's still charging $600 for the Mini so there no way they'll cram a more capable machine into a smaller space, include a 10" screen and battery and not sell the thing for hundreds of dollars more.

If it shows up, it'll be more like $800 or $900 and likely be sporting an ARM or Atom processor -- much more an overgrown ipod touch than a mini macbook.

Notice I never spec'ed a CPU...?!?

And, notice I mentioned 'subsidized'...!?!