Are there any Mac Gameing sites?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I checked IGN but thats about it, and their new release section sucks. Oh also checked macgamefiles.com but it just seems to be a load of shareware and old games... Are there any sites that are dedicated to good games for the Mac, new releases, and future releases?

Im not much of a Gamer but I'd like to check it out to know what's good or not incase I get bored on a rainy day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Well, the only major one I know of is Inside Mac Games, which has been around for a long time. It's the sister site of Mac Game Files.

Apple also has it's own games page.

If iPod/iPhone gaming is more your thing, then Touch Arcade is an excellent resource.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Thanks, thats a pretty good site! Seems to be the best there is, ill take it.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    wow great websites thanks, i was just looking for a website like this
  • Reply 4 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    If you don't mind older games, a few Windows games play ok under Crossover or some of the virtualization packages if you have an Intel machine. You can use Bootcamp but rebooting can be annoying.

I don't know what type of games you like but I find some of the point and click games to be quite good and they require very low specs.

I highly recommend the games from Microids: Post Mortem, Still Life, Syberia 1&2. There's also the classic ones: Discworld, Broken Sword, Escape From Monkey Island.

You may be able to get games like Tomb Raider: Anniversary or Pitfall to play under Crossover. The first Half-Life 2 plays on the GMA chips, episode 1 has issues though.

I would really give up on native Mac gaming because there haven't been any great developments for years. Very late releases, bad ports, expensive games, only the odd title in a series. Cider was a small ray of hope but they are just packaging up the Windows binary anyway and there's still only a handful of titles.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Ya I just got the $2,000 MacBook Pro, how much would it cost me to be able to run Windows games? Would I need to buy XP or Vista to play the newer games?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OahuSurf View Post

Ya I just got the $2,000 MacBook Pro, how much would it cost me to be able to run Windows games? Would I need to buy XP or Vista to play the newer games?

Yes, you would be best buying a copy of XP. You can get one off ebay for $100 or $150 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind...199131&sr=1-12

You can probably get it cheaper shopping around but you should get XP Pro and it must be SP2 - not an upgrade. You may even be able to borrow a copy of a PC friend.

Bootcamp XP is really the best way to play games on a Mac like yours and the selection of games is huge. You get a lot of the titles you see on consoles. You can even play Crysis on your MBP as well as Gears of war, FEAR, most of the fairly high-end games.

If it's a new system, you may not need to backup stuff but it's recommended before partitioning your drive. I would personally give it 32GB of FAT32 space so that it's enough for newer games, which can take as much as 8GB drive space per game and this space isn't wasted when you are booted into the Mac side as it can read/write this format.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Awesome, thanks a ton! I think ill try to barrow a copy of XP from a friend if anyone has it, if not Ill just buy a copy off amazon. I'd LOVE to play Gears of War.

Sorry for all the questions haha, but ONE last one I promise. How good will my MBP run games like Gears and Crysis? Man now you have me all pumped up, and I didnt even plan to ever play a game on this thing when I bought it.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Hi

I am john markson and I am very new user for Appleinsider site. There is a topic which related to Gameing site and I have Very less knowledge regarding this site tell me some some and help me to understand this topic.

Thanks.............

john markson

__________________________________________________ _____________

Capture One Auto Transport
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OahuSurf View Post

Awesome, thanks a ton! I think ill try to barrow a copy of XP from a friend if anyone has it, if not Ill just buy a copy off amazon. I'd LOVE to play Gears of War.

Sorry for all the questions haha, but ONE last one I promise. How good will my MBP run games like Gears and Crysis? Man now you have me all pumped up, and I didnt even plan to ever play a game on this thing when I bought it.

There are a number of videos showing how various games run on the MBP on youtube:

Crysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dcXCdrnbbI

Gears of War:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHmAG_r1LdY

Various games (FEAR, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Hitman:Blood Money, NFS Carbon etc):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qacYf-00tr4

Bioshock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jSemOMm7Bs

Assassin's Creed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10A95CJfRJ8

Rainbow 6 Vegas 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Zk03M8dmM

Portal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m32LX7tXx8Q

Half-Life 2 episode 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pGptNQdjic

You will have to turn the really high end games (Crysis and a few others) down to medium or so but games like HL2 should go right up to max with HDR.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Marvin, you're my new favorite Apple Insider'er. (Not a word I know, haha)

Thanks! Once again I appreciate it a lot!

Let the games begin.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    I gave up trying to game on a mac years ago. Don't waste your time. Especially with something as graphics intensive as Gears. If you intend to play multiplayer with it it will suck bad. And that's the best thing about Gears: the multi.

The smartest thing you could ever do as a serious gamer is buy yourself an XBox360. Bought one 2 years ago. I just couldn't take WIndoze anymore for anything else other than gaming. I was surprised at how much fun my Xbox is than my PC gaming days. PC gaming on a maxed out gaming PC may be more visually stunning, but XBox Live gaming is a total blast. Also, Gears Of War2 is coming out nov 7th. You DO NOT want to miss that.

Do it now: Buy an Xbox 360 Elite (more hard drive space) and a used copy of Gears to warm up for Gears2.

Enjoy your mac for the wonderfully stable computing experience it is and game on a console. The best thing about consoles is that you don't have to spend a dime upgrading your tech specs every time a new hot game comes out. You'll save a lot of money.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    cant you just run parallels and run games that way. Why would you want to go out and buy a mac or Apple PC, just to go out and buy Windows and install such a crap ass OS? You might as well have gone out and gotten a PC instead. Probably gotten a faster PC for the money you spent on the Apple and then the Windows OS.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beinseth View Post

cant you just run parallels and run games that way. .

If you do things this way, you loose a lot of speed.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Enjoy your mac for the wonderfully stable computing experience it is and game on a console. The best thing about consoles is that you don't have to spend a dime upgrading your tech specs every time a new hot game comes out. You'll save a lot of money.

Your absolutely right, instead you end up buying new gaming consoles every year to year and a half that get more and more expensive. Thats makes even more sense. Why not just buy a computer, OSX or windows based, use the money you would have bought a new console with and just upgrade parts in the system?

I have been using the same case for over 3 years, this past year I finally replaced the ailing power supply. Have only gone through 2 cpus due to old age in the past few years. I have spent less money on parts then I would have buying all the popular gaming consoles over the past few years.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

I gave up trying to game on a mac years ago. Don't waste your time. Especially with something as graphics intensive as Gears. If you intend to play multiplayer with it it will suck bad. And that's the best thing about Gears: the multi.

The smartest thing you could ever do as a serious gamer is buy yourself an XBox360. Bought one 2 years ago. I just couldn't take WIndoze anymore for anything else other than gaming. I was surprised at how much fun my Xbox is than my PC gaming days. PC gaming on a maxed out gaming PC may be more visually stunning, but XBox Live gaming is a total blast. Also, Gears Of War2 is coming out nov 7th. You DO NOT want to miss that.

Do it now: Buy an Xbox 360 Elite (more hard drive space) and a used copy of Gears to warm up for Gears2.

I would agree with that (not the elite part though - they're a bit of a waste of money). PC gaming isn't the best experience - long installs, copy protection installations, game glitches and games tend to be optimized for the consoles better. You can also trade and sell console games much more easily.

The plus point with the MBP though is if you already own one, you don't need to buy a console and hook it up to your TV (although you may need to buy Windows) so you may as well get your money's worth. You can also use the keyboard and mouse, which I generally prefer for FPS gaming. Plus, it's portable - you can't really take your XBox with you if you are travelling. Even if you want to just sit outside on a nice day and or in different rooms of your house or maybe in bed.

You also get older classic games you may have missed that aren't available on the Xbox or RTS games. You can even get emulators to play PSone games. PC games tend to be about half the price of the equivalent console games too - not always at first but they drop in price quicker.

The Xbox is also pretty noisy. The MBP is almost completely silent. You do trade a bit of performance for that but I think it's worth it.

It's also easier to cheat on PC games if you aren't very good like me. I can't stand games where they just throw in a boss with a massive health bar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beinseth

you end up buying new gaming consoles every year to year and a half

New consoles only come out every 5 years or so. They have to so that the console maker gets a return on the initial loss. PCs tend to be price/performance comparable after 3 or 4 years. Right now, an XBox is about £150. A PC capable of playing at the same quality is probably about £700 right now.

This is why it makes sense to buy an XBox if you don't have a computer or if you want to really get into gaming. If you have one powerful enough for average gaming then I'd say you might as well use it.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beinseth View Post

Your absolutely right, instead you end up buying new gaming consoles every year to year and a half that get more and more expensive. Thats makes even more sense. Why not just buy a computer, OSX or windows based, use the money you would have bought a new console with and just upgrade parts in the system?

I have been using the same case for over 3 years, this past year I finally replaced the ailing power supply. Have only gone through 2 cpus due to old age in the past few years. I have spent less money on parts then I would have buying all the popular gaming consoles over the past few years.

What on earth are you talking about? A console run lasts much longer than every year. They run at least 4 years. I don't see the Xbox 360 or PS3 being considered as obsolete yet. Also, all the best new games are coming out on console first. There is no way you could go 4 years without upgrading even the best gaming pc out there. And do the math at how much more it will cost than even the most expensive PS3.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I would agree with that (not the elite part though - they're a bit of a waste of money). PC gaming isn't the best experience - long installs, copy protection installations, game glitches and games tend to be optimized for the consoles better. You can also trade and sell console games much more easily.

The plus point with the MBP though is if you already own one, you don't need to buy a console and hook it up to your TV (although you may need to buy Windows) so you may as well get your money's worth. You can also use the keyboard and mouse, which I generally prefer for FPS gaming. Plus, it's portable - you can't really take your XBox with you if you are travelling. Even if you want to just sit outside on a nice day and or in different rooms of your house or maybe in bed.

You also get older classic games you may have missed that aren't available on the Xbox or RTS games. You can even get emulators to play PSone games. PC games tend to be about half the price of the equivalent console games too - not always at first but they drop in price quicker.

The Xbox is also pretty noisy. The MBP is almost completely silent. You do trade a bit of performance for that but I think it's worth it.

It's also easier to cheat on PC games if you aren't very good like me. I can't stand games where they just throw in a boss with a massive health bar.

New consoles only come out every 5 years or so. They have to so that the console maker gets a return on the initial loss. PCs tend to be price/performance comparable after 3 or 4 years. Right now, an XBox is about £150. A PC capable of playing at the same quality is probably about £700 right now.

This is why it makes sense to buy an XBox if you don't have a computer or if you want to really get into gaming. If you have one powerful enough for average gaming then I'd say you might as well use it.

When's the last time you played on a 360? Xboxes are no longer noisy. And how on earth you can notice a system fan while playing loud ass booming video games on even the noisiest archaic first run Xbox 360 is beyond me. Are you playing with the volume set to lowest in a house full of sleeping people or something? If so grab a set of gaming headphones.

Xbox Live will be moving towards more downloads. As are the game developers. I already have tons of stuff I bought or downloaded from Xbox Live on my hard drive that is not even game related. The Elite is the smartest buy if you go Live. And I see no reason why 360 owner would not want to. The Xbox Live experience is wonderful.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Best thing about Xbox Live is how cheaters get reprimanded severely. They get there accounts deleted and they lose there precious gamerscore points. This means so much to most of them they cry like babies.