Apple begins testing Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week began testing Mac OS X 10.5.6, the next in a running series of updates planned for the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system, which could prove to be the most extensive yet.

The first test build, which reportedly arrive Thursday, is said to contain a sprawling laundry list of system components in need of evaluation. This list, which totals nearly six dozen, names almost every major component -- in addition to minor components like Calculator -- of the Mac OS X, according to people familiar with the matter.

A tally of fixes accompanying the pre-release is said to be similar in stature. Apple appears to be placing a particular emphasis on core audio technologies in the update, along with iCal.

Also listed among the 50+ code corrections are fixes targeting Safari, ColorSync, AddressBook, Printing, Syncing, iChat, and the Finder.

Earlier this week, Apple began widespread testing of QuickTime 7.6, which should improve handling of 5.1 channel audio, in addition to delivering improvements to AAC, MPEG-1, and Apple Lossless tracks.

In its bare delta form, Mac OS X 10.5.6 is said to weigh in just shy of 350MB. The current build number is believed to be 9G21.

Last week, Apple stepped up its testing efforts behind Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, providing a handful of its partners with a glimpse at new builds featuring a Finder completely re-written in Cocoa, the beginnings of Microsoft Exchange integration, and a new ImageBoot function.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    would be nice if they would enable the graphics card on h264 playback like they have on the new MB/MBPs.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    No Calculator fix still. Grrr.

Seriously, why does every news item about any system update contain "Apple appears to be placing a particular emphasis on <insert random Mac OS X subsystem name>"? There's just no logic in that.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Seriously, why does every news item about any system update contain "Apple appears to be placing a particular emphasis on <insert random Mac OS X subsystem name>"? There's just no logic in that.

I think they are working on that too....
  • Reply 4 of 26
    I'm hoping they'll fix the screen sharing issues I have with dual monitors. When switching between monitors, the overlay from the first monitor still appears on the monitor switched to. Others on the Apple forum have similar issues. The is the only major problem I'm having so far.

http://discussions.apple.com/message...298132#8298132

Let Apple know if you are facing similar issues.

http://www.apple.com/feedback
  • Reply 5 of 26
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

Seriously, why does every news item .... blah blah etc. ...

Why do you post this junk, when the article specifically says that "... in addition to minor components such as the Calculator"... ?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Why do you post this junk, when the article specifically says that "... in addition to minor components such as the Calculator"... ?

No, I just added that because of what he said and to emphasize how broad the test release appears to be. My apologies for the confusion. It does include changes to the Calculator from what I was told.

K
  • Reply 7 of 26
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

No, I just added that because of what he said and to emphasize how broad the test release appears to be. My apologies for the confusion. It does include changes to the Calculator from what I was told.

K

My bad then, sorry.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Besides the obvious (number incrementing) what is the significance of the build number? ie where does the "G" come from?

KRR
  • Reply 9 of 26
    What's wrong w/ the calculator? I don't ever use it so I have no idea...
  • Reply 10 of 26
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Well, we'll see if they finally fix the Calculator!

I wasn't TOO serious, sorry if the post has offended anyone.

I was just trying to point out how the news about any upcoming update is very unspecific. For example we have an upcoming QuickTime update which enables specific things. But it's never clear what exactly changes in upcoming OS updates.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

Besides the obvious (number incrementing) what is the significance of the build number? ie where does the "G" come from?

KRR

G. As in... Gee, that's a lot of bugs!

Sorry.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

No Calculator fix still. Grrr....

Yeah seriously! that's it! i'm switching to vista!!

• Reply 13 of 26
    bytorbytor Posts: 29member
    shhhhhh...you arent supposed to use the "V" word...lol...Id be happy to see a Java Script fix....
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I wonder if the Airport Extreme Update-003 that was recently pulled will be incorporated.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

No Calculator fix still.

What do you think is wrong with it?

I know that I found a bug in the version that's in 10.4.11, is it still there in 10.5?
    • Open calculator

• Enter "2"

• Press "M+" to enter 2 into the memory

• Press "C" to clear the display

• Enter "10"

• Press "y^x" button

• Press "MR" to recall 2 from memory

• Press "="

• Answer should be 100, but calculator gives 102.

Basically, you can't use the "y^x" button with figures you have saved in memory, because it'll give you the wrong answer.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Word count. Seriously, it seems like every article mentions how they're based in California, and also about their stock or something bad about Microsoft, even if its unrelated.

Going back to the original post, I hope it stops the random halts my system has. About once a day the system will just decide it needs a break for about 30 seconds. This has happened while text edit was the only thing running. I'm fine with my system being slow, but if I'm typing a 5 into text edit, it shouldn't take 30 seconds to figure out how to do it.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

What do you think is wrong with it?

I know that I found a bug in the version that's in 10.4.11, is it still there in 10.5?
    • Open calculator

• Enter "2"

• Enter "10"

• Press "y^x" button

• Press "="

Basically, you can't use the "y^x" button with figures you have saved in memory, because it'll give you the wrong answer.

No no no no NO! If Apple's Calculator says 102, I'm afraid the answer is 102. Don't try to blame Apple for this one... I blame "math" and Vista...

;-)
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

No no no no NO! If Apple's Calculator says 102, I'm afraid the answer is 102. Don't try to blame Apple for this one... I blame "math" and Vista...

;-)

I got 100 using 10.5.5
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post
    • Open calculator

• Enter "2"

• Enter "10"

• Press "y^x" button

• Press "="

Well that explains everything then, Diebold must've been using Macs...
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GmanMac View Post

I got 100 using 10.5.5

100 for me as well.