iTunes 8.0.1 + Genius = S L O W

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
has anyone else updated to the latest iTunes v8.0.1?

i started the genius thing and it took over an hour to get all the info, send it to apple and then back to me. and now it shows me all these stupid songs in the store they want me to buy. i am not impressed.

the genius playlists are sort of cool but not worth the slow down and other bugs.

genius is now turned OFF as it slowed my PC down waaaaay too much!

another thing, i use winXP pro SP3 and have a iTunes toolbar in the bottom of the screen, u know the one. well that has STOPPED responding with v8.0.1. everything worked great before and now the only way i get back into iTunes is to start it up again (which it doesn't really, it just pops up the one already started).

anyone else have that?

and how do i turn off those annoying little arrows next to each song when it is highlighted? they belong to the store right? thats just what i need, my kids or anyone else clicking songs to go into the store.

any comments or help?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I find that Genius is very slow to process its results also (I'm on a MacBook Pro). Does anyone know why this is?

My best guess is that it relates to the size of your music library -- mine is very large, so I suppose that Apple is sending a lot of metadata through every time I sync my iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    here's a solution to the annoying itunes istore iarrows issue

(big THANKS to all who helped get this solution out there!!!)

--- SOLUTION FOR WINDOWS ---

1 - get a program called notepad ++ to edit the xml. dreamweaver will work as well.

notepad++ = http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

2 - Close iTunes and then navigate to here

C\Documents and Settings\\YOUR-USER-NAME\\Application Data\\Apple Computer\\iTunes

3 - make a copy of the original iTunesPrefs.xml 'just in case'

4 - Open the --- iTunesPrefs.xml --- in notepad++

5 - Inside this file, look for <key>User Preferences</key> - doing a search will be good or goto LINE 362

6 - Copy and paste the following exactly as so...

<key>User Preferences</key>

<dict>

<key>show-store-arrow-links</key>

<data>

AA==

</data>

7 - Save and start iTunes back up and the annoyances should be gone forever!

hope that helps, i modified the instructions a bit so a monkey can understand now....hopefully again...BIG THANKS to the originals who made this possible

now if anyone knows why my iTunes toolbar in windows doesn't work, please let me know
  • Reply 3 of 3
    liquidmonkey, thanks for the help, I've been having the same problems, I'll try out your suggestion!