Apples Motto for "the next major release"?

thethe
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi! With Puma Apple had the "philosophy" of "performance, performance, performance". What could be that of the next major release? I mean what about "no more classic reboot" where they fix all bugs preventing users to use os x at all. One example is the mouse bug in UT X...

What do you think?

- ThE

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: ThE ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    mouse bug?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    thethe Posts: 9member
    Yes, (noticeable) the priority of the mouse is too low. It's lagging behind. Must be a bug on Apples side as this bug occurs also on other shooters.

- ThE
  • Reply 3 of 21
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I seriously doubt Apple has been putting much more effort into "perfecting" Classic. They may get Classic to work in a thinner shell, taking less time to boot, and perhaps enable double-buffering but I don't expect (nor want!) any more.

Remember, better classic compatibility == less incentive to code natively for OS X.

Classic was meant to be a crutch, nothing more, to help transition people over to OS X. Users certainly aren't supposed to be using any major apps (or games, in your case) for extended periods in Classic.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    uh right. what I meant was that apple should do a great job in kickin classic (I mean OS9 booting - not the classic environment). the only thing that holds the os9 system folder on my disk is UT/StrikeForce because is mouse is so sluggish in UTX...

- ThE
  • Reply 5 of 21
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    motto could be drivers, faster, iapps....

system still could use more speed and a lot more drivers....still waiting for the driver for my scanner so i can use it in X....and i bought the umax MX3 that was supposively made just for the iMac....oh well...and i think they will continue to push the iapps as a major selling point for both os X and apple....g

yes this motto is awful...someone please sexy it up...g
  • Reply 6 of 21
    More performance on your more peripherel iHub

But strict to the topic. Apropos faster. I think they really have to improve the dock especially the dock's processor consumation. Just experimenting I found out that the apps launch faster without a dock at all. I moved the dock at installed ASM. Somehow it's cool and it's a bit classic

I think one of the worse things of the dock is the kind of progress indicator (the bounces). You just concentrate too much on it, though actually the apps should be "boom there" when you click on them... so perhaps it would be a good feature to turn any dock app starting animation off. What do you think?

- ThE
  • Reply 7 of 21
    rodrod Posts: 7member
    you CAN turn them off!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Cocoa
  • Reply 9 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by rod:

<strong>you CAN turn them off!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm mean even the dimming arrow. Actually after having done this test I see that the dock may slow a done a (very) little bit, but it's simply another feeling without dock.

- ThE
  • Reply 10 of 21
    posterboyposterboy Posts: 147member
    One thing I would like, was actually something you could enable in OS 10.0, but not in 10.1

You know those little arrows under running apps in the dock? In OS 10.0.x, you could make the arrow under the app you are using Blue, instead of Black. Very cool, and easy to see what app is running when you have a bunch open and all their windows are mixed about.

I'd like them to make that, and transparent icons for hidden apps in the dock standard features, or at least options.

--PB
  • Reply 11 of 21
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Performance is still the number one issue with OS X. Features are also needed but based on the whining in most Mac forums, the deal breaker for most users is performance. Considering the amount of time Apple's been working on Jaguar, I bet the speed optimizations are going to floor even seasoned developers. Going into Jaguar development, Apple had a fine, solid foundation in 10.1 to build upon. Expect to be impressed.

For example, consider the amount of time between 10.0 and 10.1, it's much less development time than for Jaguar. Performance is going to rule.

Features are also going to be in abundance, but I suspect Apple will not focus on features until after Jaguar. Jaguar will be a free update, and then the next update will cost, but since it will bear so many new features, it will be worth it.

And even with all the new features, there will still be MAC users whining about how OS X should have more features and behavior from Mac OS, the "Platinum" interface. Some people are too dogmatic to adapt, they are simply to rigid to face change with any grace.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    marsicomarsico Posts: 6member
    And even with all the new features, there will still be MAC users whining about how OS X should have more features and behavior from Mac OS, the "Platinum" interface. Some people are too dogmatic to adapt, they are simply to rigid to face change with any grace.[/QB][/QUOTE]

A case for kindness to the irately "dogmatic": were it not for their stubbornness they might well have joined the "practical" windows folk back when Apple couldn't make Macs, let alone an operating system.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by PosterBoy:

<strong>

I'd like them to make that, and transparent icons for hidden apps in the dock standard features, or at least options.

--PB</strong><hr></blockquote>

Get TinkerTool from versiontracker.com. You will be most pleasently surprised. Translucent icons for hidden apps (in dock). And a million other 'hidden' options.

Definetly one of those programs that is totally indespensible
  • Reply 14 of 21
    posterboyposterboy Posts: 147member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>

Get TinkerTool from versiontracker.com. You will be most pleasently surprised. Translucent icons for hidden apps (in dock). And a million other 'hidden' options.

Definetly one of those programs that is totally indespensible</strong><hr></blockquote>

I already have it, and use it to enable Transparent Dock Icons, the "Suck" effect for minimizing to the dock, and transparent terminal windows.

I also used it to enable the above mentioned blue arrow in 10.0.x.

--PB
  • Reply 15 of 21
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    ZO:

I think you kinda missed PosterBoy's main point. We know these options are available, but Apple doesn't publicly make them available. The hidden icon option is incredibly useful and I've thought Apple should properly enable it since I first found it (long before TinkerTool).

This and the blue arrow are so useful, IMO, that they should have been *on* by default.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    carbon3carbon3 Posts: 34member
    Originally posted by PosterBoy:

"You know those little arrows under running apps in the dock? In OS 10.0.x, you could make the arrow under the app you are using Blue, instead of Black. Very cool, and easy to see what app is running when you have a bunch open and all their windows are mixed about."

Is <a href="http://www.spymac.com/cgi-bin/pictures/index.pl?photo=642"; target="_blank">green</a> okay?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    "It?s snappier!"
  • Reply 18 of 21
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    OS X! We took out the UNIX and made it aqualishous!
  • Reply 19 of 21
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    " you've waited uncertain, now wait some more"
  • Reply 20 of 21
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    "Who needs Mac OS 9??!"