NVIDIA to join Mac gaming push, intros new desktop chipsets

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    Form factor is not in Apple's favor anymore. With NVIDIA releasing these products in the general market, it doesn't take too much work for other vendors to come up with compact form factor machines. The only thing that differentiates a Macintosh from these is the operating system. I don't know how long that lead will hold. I wouldn't be surprised if HP was the one that asked NVIDIA to make the desktop version of this chipset.

I would like to see a new form factor from Apple for the iMac and mini. BTW, I just got to play around with a Mac mini (Core 2 duo) at work (I use a iMac at home) and I do believe it is more responsive than Vista on a similar setup with a faster hard disk.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheNipponese View Post

lets be real here guys. what motivation do publishers have to release their games on OSX unless it's a guaranteed mega-hit like COD4? windows still has 90% marketshare, and that's not changing anytime soon.

I think your best bet is this CrossOvers thing:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

Crossover does not have the grand compatibility that you think it does by reading that site. Every game needs a specific set of code written for it, and if your talking about gaming, by the time they have that written for Medal Of Honor 5, Metal Of Honor 7 has already been released. Try it. Crossover is a grand dream, but it's not an answer to anything. Crossover is faster than the old VPC emulation, but it's still a windows emulator in my book, and it's not just a "push in the disk and play" solution.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Crossover does not have the grand compatibility that you think it does by reading that site. Every game needs a specific set of code written for it, and if your talking about gaming, by the time they have that written for Medal Of Honor 5, Metal Of Honor 7 has already been released. Try it. Crossover is a grand dream, but it's not an answer to anything. Crossover is faster than the old VPC emulation, but it's still a windows emulator in my book, and it's not just a "push in the disk and play" solution.

WTF ever happened with Yellow Box? (At least I think it was Yellow Box, or was it Red Box?) If I can remember correctly, it was an extension (or whatever) that was part of the original OS X that allowed Windows apps to run natively in an OS X window, but without having to have a copy of Windows installed at all...

PC games would be the 'killer app' for this...!