Apple contributes $100,000 to fight California's No on 8 battle

Comments

• Reply 381 of 1351
    Quote:

Please, Mr Jobs, keep Apple out of politics and moral debates and do what they do best: Stunning

pieces of equipments and a lot of money.

Yup, zzzzz...but it has been done....

[email protected] dude, please don't make big fonts, its annoying and stupid.
  • Reply 382 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

Gay marriage is a legal right that relates to being able to do the same business as anyone else: insurance, hospital visitation rights, and other legal protections that married couples take for granted. The government does not clearly define the civil and religious aspects of marriage, so there's not some non-religious form of domestic partnership that gives gays the same legal rights as other people.

Nobody is forcing gays into your religion, the issue is whether religions should force their dogma on the government. Prop 8 is an effort to rewrite the constitution to say that gays can't have the same legal rights as anyone else.

F that gay marriage crap..No weenie between butt cheeks allowed..
  • Reply 383 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by visionary View Post

Lots of replies already and lots of emotion. Obviously this topic strikes a nerve. I would think a company of Apple's size would do best to shy away from this controversy. Not good for business at all.

I guess we will see Mac sales plummet next quarter ...

Quote:

That being said, I am amazed how many people do not understand why we have marriage in the first place. While there are minor reasons, the main reason, the big elephant in the room, is children. Marriage is important because a man and woman can make babies. Since they make them, they own them. This is their privilege and their responsibility.

The reason why gay marriage doesn't make sense is they cannot produce babies. There are many other reasons but this is the big one. Nobody talks about this elephant in the room. They will debate the small reasons and overlook this main one.

So what you are trying to suggest is, heterosexual couples who can't have kids should not be allowed to marry?
  • Reply 384 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trafdlo View Post

Oh great! Why do companies think they should flush stockholders' money down the toilet on stuff like this? It's such an emotionally and culturally charged and divisive issue.

Because the issue is not about Gay Rights - the issue is about people's constitutional rights. This is not a divisive issue - it's just that bigots are extremely loud and noisy and make their numbers appear much bigger than they actually are.
  • Reply 385 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

after reading all these comments on here I just may move to one of those countries. Which one has the best weather? I need to live somewhere sunny

I would say Spain, because it's Mediterranean, but instead of going to Europe, why not come north?
  • Reply 386 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

As a company, your 1st and most important goal is to make the shareholders happy. Whether or not I believe in Gay Marriage, which is no one's buisness, polarizing the shareholders is not a good idea for a company.

Have your beliefs, yes, and champion them strongly and loudly. Just don't mess with my money in this time of economic uncertainty.

FYI- I do support Gay Marriage because it means equality but Marriage is not the road that Homosexuals should take. Civil unions and writing a DAMN will like everyone else should be paths striven for.

Shareholders come and go, as seen in the recently market turmoil, employees do not. Apple is just doing this for its employees.
  • Reply 387 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Same here. If Apple goes pushing the gay agenda, I might have to switch to Linux or something...

The linux crowd tends to be even more liberal leaning than the mac crowd. You are better off to go with V*sta
  • Reply 388 of 1351
    Stupid is as stupid does!

First, Al Gore and the loons invaded the leadership of the company. Then the best technology developer in the world starts focusing on political correctness just like it was as important as anything it could "invest" its resources in.

Gay marriage is a logical extension of the agenda that is distracting the company. Political neutrality is a better strategy, but Jobs knows better! I wonder where the company will go next?

I worked for a company that took the same turn years before, Xerox. Look at Xerox it now! It is led by a politically correct management team who has more interest in glass ceilings, affirmative action, hispanic and black caucuses than it does in developing and selecting the best products on the planet. I remember when it was the technology leader in the 60s, 70s and 80s and the best company in the world to work for. It was so full of ideas that it couldn't use all of them and 'gave them away' to companies like Apple! Look at Xerox now, struggling to survive and clinging to its PC agenda (and I don't mean Personal Computer!).
  • Reply 389 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by someone11 View Post

The linux crowd tends to be even more liberal leaning than the mac crowd. You are better off to go with V*sta

Gotta be careful in that camp too. Microsoft also extends full spousal benefits to the partners of its GLBT employees. It even provides a subsidy for transgendered reassignment therapy as part of its benefits package.
  • Reply 390 of 1351
    Quote:

You might recall that after Jesus prayed to the Father that he wouldn't have to go through with the scourging and crucifixion, he said, "yet not my will but yours be done." Jesus knew that the will of God the Father was what was important, even though he wanted very much to avoid the cross. But it was God's will that his son be sacrificed for all of mankind.

Likewise, whether or not Prop 8 passes or fails....God may stir the hearts of the voters to ban gay marriage, or he may stand back and let gay marriage become the law of the land, even though it's not what he wants.

Or maybe he'll stand back an dlet gay marriage become the law because it is what he wants. This is exactly what I mean; you define God's will as whatever you think it should be.

Quote:

My brother is gay, and only God can change him. A law isn't going to do it.

No, God can't change him -- any more than he can change the color of his eyes, or his height, or any other biologically-coded attribute. Homosexuality is not behavioral; it's innate. It's not chosen, and it can't be changed. The sooner you understand that fact, the sooner you'll be at peace about your brother.
  • Reply 391 of 1351
    The bigotry and backwards thinking this issue has exposed is horrifying.
  • Reply 392 of 1351
    I'm a little stumped at the shots being lobbed at PC users. I mean honestly, you really thought you were that damn better than PC users? That thinking is as pious as the wingnut bigots. There are idiots everywhere, folks, including Mac users. One's computer platform of choice means jack squat to their (and your) intelligence.
  • Reply 393 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YTV View Post

Sorry I'm not religious. But I do recognize that things are either right or wrong.

Its so bad, bacause its wrong. Just like pedophilia is wrong.

Pedophilia is wrong because it lacks informed consent. It involves an adult forcing a child, who is developmentally incompetent to understand the ramifications of the situation, and who is not in a position to defend him or herself, into activity that they are not physically or mentally capable of dealing with.

Quote:

Just like stabbing random old ladies is wrong.

Stabbing old ladies is wrong because it is a violation of the lady's acknowledged rights to her own property and physical safety.

Quote:

Just like touching your sister is wrong.

Sexual contact between closely related opposite-gender family members is considered wrong because, if procreation results, even unintentionally, the child is at a significantly increased risk of suffering severe physical and mental defects.

What rational explanation can you offer explaining why homosexuality is "wrong"?
  • Reply 394 of 1351
    I find it somewhat ironic that those spouting bigoted bile on this thread because their views do not coincide with Apple's seem to have no problem with the fact that their views are also espoused by Al Qaeda and fudamentaist Islamic regimes.

Presumably they would be happier if a proposition to adopt Sharia Law was on the ballot in California
  • Reply 395 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by someone11 View Post

I would say Spain, because it's Mediterranean, but instead of going to Europe, why not come north?

because the further north I go, the colder it gets. Cold weather makes wearing hotpants uncomfortable
  • Reply 396 of 1351
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Let gays get married-

1.) It's good for the economy.

But one question- Why does Barack Obama oppose gay marriage? Isn't gay marriage all about "CHANGE"?
  • Reply 397 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonanoplease View Post

The bigotry and backwards thinking this issue has exposed is horrifying.

Agreed. It really makes me very sad. And a bit angry, but I'm old enough to realize anger begets anger. So I'm just trying to have faith that folks will come to see the light.

Abraham Lincoln, although he had a wife and four or five children, also had extremely close relationships with men. In fact, he lived with one, Joshua Speed, through to the end of his life. And they slept in the same bed. He also slept with his body guard, David Derickson, when his wife was away, and folks gossiped about it.

On top of that, he wrote a poem when he was young about two men marrying. Although the poem (which did not center on gay marriage) was comical (and certainly did not condemn the marriage of two males) at the very least this proves that Lincoln had considered the idea of two men marrying as a concept.

Whether the great and much respected President Abraham Lincoln was bisexual is obviously up for debate. But face it, folks... there has been homosexuality in our culture for a very very long time, and it has done absolutely no harm whatsoever to heterosexual folk. It has not eroded family values one bit. And some of our best citizens have been at the very least bisexual.

A young boy watching Queer Eye, or Will and Grace is only going to get the idea to experiment with homosexuality if that desire lies within his heart to begin with. If anything, perhaps guys will be influenced to take better care of their image, but that too is an obnoxious stereotype. I'm gay and couldn't give a **** about the way I look. My house is not overly designed. I do not swish around effeminately. But I smile at that kind of behavior, as it's yet another manifestation of life.

Why do so many folks have to be afraid of things that are different? Can't you imagine that human culture is like a great piece of music with lots of different movements and sound textures? If it was all twangy country wouldn't you get a bit bored?
  • Reply 398 of 1351
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vincent_Agniello View Post

Abraham Lincoln, although he had a wife and four or five children, also had extremely close relationships with men. In fact, he lived with one, Joshua Speed, through to the end of his life. And they slept in the same bed. He also slept with his body guard, David Derickson, when his wife was away, and folks gossiped about it.

On top of that, he wrote a poem when he was young about two men marrying. Although the poem (which did not center on gay marriage) was comical (and certainly did not condemn the marriage of two males) at the very least this proves that Lincoln had considered the idea of two men marrying as a concept.

Whether the great and much respected President Abraham Lincoln was bisexual is obviously up for debate. But face it, folks... there has been homosexuality in our culture for a very very long time, and it has done absolutely no harm whatsoever to heterosexual folk. It has not eroded family values one bit. And some of our best citizens have been at the very least bisexual.

Abraham Lincoln - a great Republican. ( you forgot to mention)
  • Reply 399 of 1351
    Again, it is not about whether homosexuality is good or not. The problem is that many diehard apple fans will switch now to linux or even worse windows. Most of us have opinion about this problem, so buying apple products means supporting homosexuality. Remember the incident with McDonald? People even stopped to buy their hamburgers.

Homosexuality is no longer someones personal opinion. Many religions just deny it and there are a lot of fighting politicans. Some religions state the answer cleary. I suppose it's even prohibited in islam and no one objects it.
  • Reply 400 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

But one question- Why does Barack Obama oppose gay marriage? Isn't gay marriage all about "CHANGE"?

Because even his hate mongering racist church doesn't support it...