Apple devs get new iPhone, Snow Leopard pre-releases

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple developers this weekend are enthusiastically reporting that they've been provided with new test releases of the both the next iPhone software update and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

iPhone Software 2.2 beta 2

iPhone Software 2.2 beta 2 is reported to have made its way to developers early friday afternoon alongside a new version of the iPhone SDK with support for hardware accessories that provide audio input to the iPhone and iPod touch.

The new version of iPhone Software itself is said to add Google Street Views to the handset's built-in Maps application, as was reported earlier in the month.

Other features expected as part of the upcoming release, and outlined earlier, include a preference to turn off the iPhone's text auto-correction, and support for Japanese emoji icons.

Snow Leopard

Separately, developers are reporting on the web that they've been provided with the first test releases of Snow Leopard since June's Worldwide Developers Conference.

The downloadable software is said to weigh is at nearly 7GB in size and carry build number is 10A190.

The release is expected to incorporate enhancements noted earlier this month, such as a Finder completely re-written in Cocoa, the beginnings of Microsoft Exchange integration, and a new ImageBoot function.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is good if you are one of the blessed developers for iPhone. However there are 100's of thousands of us out in the wild not blessed with the latest SDK. Apple really needs to start firming up 2.2 and get betas out to the larger development community.

There are a couple of reasons for this. One is for timely release of software supporting the latest features. A second is that we would love to see a bit more stability in the SDK and XCode environment.

It is not good when your IDE crashes. As to the SDK it is obvious that it has weak spots. It would be much better if we had something a bit solider to build against. Especially things like Safari and some of the web features which seem very buggy.

I'm sure Apples closed development cycle have their reasons but there comes a point when you need to roll in support for the greater community. At this time many of us have to wonder if going forward with certain projects makes sense or should we wait for hopefully more stable frameworks/libraries.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is good if you are one of the blessed developers for iPhone. However there are 100's of thousands of us out in the wild not blessed with the latest SDK. Apple really needs to start firming up 2.2 and get betas out to the larger development community.

If you're not willing to spend a couple hundred dollars to become a registered developer, it's not worth Apple's time to get you the software this early.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you're not willing to spend a couple hundred dollars to become a registered developer, it's not worth Apple's time to get you the software this early.

I applied to be a registered iPhone developer almost 3 months ago, still have money waiting to pay them, and they still haven't gotten to my application.

Still think it's a good system?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

I applied to be a registered iPhone developer almost 3 months ago, still have money waiting to pay them, and they still haven't gotten to my application.

Still think it's a good system?

There are 100's of thousands potential developers out there like you wanting to be a registered developer thinking they have a god sent, world saving app to write for the iphone.

You think it's Apple's job to satisfy your ego?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Dave

Sorry, don't agree with you here. Apple needs to know the person testing the software knows what they are doing. The odds are better if they are a real ADC member. On top of that, it would be absolutely insanity trying to keep up with support for all the issues that would arise. It's a lot easier for apple to tell the developers to simply use this patch to fix their phone that they pay monthly for, versus trying to get a hold of grandma that little timmy put beta x8383 on her phone and now her phone is toasted.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Who came up with the idea for the man's wardrobe?????
  • Reply 7 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Can someone explain ImageBoot? OS X can already boot from a network, so what am I not getting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I paid $500 for my ADC membership and another $100 for the iPhone development, but I have no access to SL or iPhone 2.2. They are selective within their paid community, too.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I will really love this Street View. I can't stand to look around as I walk down the street, so I can now just use this.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can someone explain ImageBoot? OS X can already boot from a network, so what am I not getting.

I paid $500 for my ADC membership and another $100 for the iPhone development, but I have no access to SL or iPhone 2.2. They are selective within their paid community, too.

• Reply 10 of 19
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Ok, guys. Apple's closed beta is simple:

Did the person become a paid-up developer before iPhone OS was released?

It is a privilege reserved for those who paid, but could not receive funds. If you pay now, you can receive funds the moment you pay and set up your account for selling apps on iTunes - they couldn't. They payed for less features, but at the full price, for some of that time. They had no working App Store and just gave their money with the foresight of what App Store became

This is the single test for the "closed beta". It is a privilege for those who were so keen as to sign up so early. They are the developers that are obviously most interested in the platform, so the most keen developers get access.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Anyone care to comment on the current state of Resolution Independence in Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaypres View Post

There are 100's of thousands potential developers out there like you wanting to be a registered developer thinking they have a god sent, world saving app to write for the iphone.

You think it's Apple's job to satisfy your ego?

So you think it's OK for Apple to take someone's money without providing the associated service in return?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Sounds like we won't get Snow Leopard until at least WWDC 2009 with only two good months left in the year and Macworld in early January.

It'll still beat Windows 7 to the punch if you believe Windows 7 will be out in 2009.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Sounds like we won't get Snow Leopard until at least WWDC 2009 with only two good months left in the year and Macworld in early January.

I wasn't aware there was any suggestion or hint that Snow Leopard would come out any sooner.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

As JeffDM said, it wasn't due until that time anyway. Jones said "about a year" on June 9th, 2008. WWDC seems so long ago!

What I think will happen is that we'll see two closed circle developer builds of SL before MacWorld.A At MWSF we'll see a major demo of SL with a proper developer release for all paid developers with a ship date for around the Fall.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As JeffDM said, it wasn't due until that time anyway. Jones said "about a year" on June 9th, 2008. WWDC seems so long ago!

What I think will happen is that we'll see two closed circle developer builds of SL before MacWorld.A At MWSF we'll see a major demo of SL with a proper developer release for all paid developers with a ship date for around the Fall.

Hey solipsism, check your account again. At first when I got the email from Apple i didn't see it but this morning it showed up for download. It's a 6.6GB image.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Hey solipsism, check your account again. At first when I got the email from Apple i didn't see it but this morning it showed up for download. It's a 6.6GB image.

Thanks. I do see SL in there now.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I will really love this Street View. I can't stand to look around as I walk down the street, so I can now just use this.

Yeah it's amazing! I remember when Panoramic photo first came to Apple. It was a mess to put it together! Seems like Google is using some car mounted camera system that takes a 360*360 shot in one snap... mounted on a tiny car or something. It's really impressive how much they covered already.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Yeah it's amazing! I remember when Panoramic photo first came to Apple. It was a mess to put it together! Seems like Google is using some car mounted camera system that takes a 360*360 shot in one snap... mounted on a tiny car or something. It's really impressive how much they covered already.

From what I can find, they are using this system: http://www.immersivemedia.com/demo/demo.php#

It is using eleven cameras simultaneously.