Unibody MacBook Pro: an in-depth review with video

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

The anti-reflective coating on the new models appears to be inferior to the old. These coatings can impart a tint to the reflection. Perhaps Jobs deemed the more effective coating to be less aesthetically pleasing, because in some circumstances the black border would no longer appear black.

Would a matte-finish film not be possible to apply over the display?

What anti-reflective coating? I can't find anything that suggests it being used.
  • Reply 42 of 87
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member
    Quote:

Even normal wear and tear can flex the old case, lid, and internal components to the point where things don't line up.

That situation (not being to insert/eject dicscs) can only be described as bad design. Normal wear and tear should not lead to that kind of situation.
  • Reply 43 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Comb your hair Scruffy!

Oh, Ireland. I really wish I had the hair to comb, mate.

The scruffy has more to do with the not shaving for days at a time. These days that includes my head.

And while we're on the subject of shiny..

The moment anyone comes across a matte overlay for the new MBP screens, let me know. I don't mind the reflections on mine most of the time, but I'm so used to the matte screens it's still a bit to get used to.
  • Reply 44 of 87
    I must not use the trackpad like everybody else. I don't use my thumb at all, just my index finger. I find it to uncomfortable with my thumb touching the trackpad. I used to use tap and click on Windows laptops but found it got quite irritating when I would be reading and tapping the trackpad at the same time, so I switched to a mouse. This all in one trackpad is brilliant. And I'm loving the multi-touch gestures.
  • Reply 45 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwingrav View Post

1) The glossy screen is beautiful... as I sit here in my dark office with the lights off and windows shades shut. I had no idea my walls were that white. Or that I can read the titles of my books on the bookshelf behind me by staring at my screen. Turning up the display brightness helps but then I have to turn on the room lights which requires more brightness. I miss my matte screen. People tell me i'll get used to this. There is a dripping faucet next to me. People tell me i'll get used to it...

Stand in front of a window and if the light on the other side of the glass is darker than the light in front of the glass, the greater the amount of reflection that is produced.

Sitting in a dark office and turning on your computer, the screen becomes basically a spotlight. As such, any object that the light from the display falls on will be reflected back onto the screen; and will be noticed by the viewer unless the screen is so angled to reduce the amount of light that is reflected back to the viewer's eyes.

And, as you evidenced, turning up the display brightness did in fact reduce the reflection.

I would suggest at that point you increase the amount of light in the room behind the display, certainly not onto it and if anything, as little as you need to read for example, in front of it. Doing so, and adjusting the angle of the screen should significantly reduce the amount reflection. Surely enough for it to quickly become unnoticeable, and even as I sit in front of my glossy monitors, completely eliminated altogether.

Bon chance.
  • Reply 46 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

..., the availability of Firewire-800 (Apple now regards FireWire as a Pro-only feature, having ceded the consumer market to USB entirely)

Good grief. More "Prince McLean" pseudo-journalistic dribble.

Let's think about this for a second:

*The low-end macbook still has firewire. Okay, consider this "inventory clearing" and "legacy"

*The Air isn't really "consumer", but a specialty product (I would assume jetsetting execs were a market...)

Less ambiguously, the

*Mini has firewire 400.

*iMac has firewire 400/800

*MacPro has firewire 400/800

Looks to me that firewire bereft odd-men out here are the Air and new macbook. I would HARDLY consider the mini and iMac to be "pro-only" machines.

If you spent 50 man-hours on this, I would really consider taking a typing and/or journalism class.
  • Reply 47 of 87
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scruffy

moment anyone comes across a matte overlay for the new MBP screens, let me know.

Next week: http://www.photodon.com/
  • Reply 48 of 87
    No mention about whether these run cooler than their predecessors...any word?
  • Reply 49 of 87
    Fabulous machine, beautiful design. Glossy won't work for work. Color looks terrific, but reflections cause eye strain (don't want to work even a little harder at work) - been there, done that, can't go back. Doesn't match with 30" matte screen. Hate to even think what it would be like to have a 30" glossy screen.
  • Reply 50 of 87
    Thanks for the review, it was the first I came upon that said anything really interesting and felt like a real hands-on experience (adding information to what could anyone see in the Keynote stream), unlike all the others - Engadget, Gizmodo, Anandtech, ... who did just copy & paste specs from apple.com + add some whining about firewire and glossy screens...

I have already ordered a 2.4 Ghz MacBook + 4GB RAM upgrade (seems more reasonable for me - with decent external display still cheaper than MBP with half the RAM and firewire, which I do not need). My country is unfortunatelly not on a list of "officially supported" Apple, and the delivery time is "3 to 4 weeks", can hardly wait
  • Reply 51 of 87
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Meh, I'm too ugly to work in front of a mirror all the time.
  • Reply 52 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

No mention about whether these run cooler than their predecessors...any word?

After a couple of hours of intense data crunching, the only "just' noticeably warm spot is on the bottom upper left.

And I mean Just
  • Reply 53 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

After a couple of hours of intense data crunching, the only "just' noticeably warm spot is on the bottom upper left.

And I mean Just

I run Folding@Home 24/7 and my new 2.4 Ghz MacBook is not as warm as my old G4 iBook.

John
  • Reply 54 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fstop View Post

Given the 35W of the 2.8 GHz processor vs the 25W of the slower ones, is it reasonable to expect that the battery life of the 2.8 GHz will be substantially (40%) less?

Anyone has an opinion on that ?

I plan to buy a 2.8Ghz and this got me a little concerned.

I asked to an Apple Shop guy yesterday and he said there's no way 2.8Ghz will cripple my battery life more than a few minutes but he didn't look like he knew what he was saying, so...
  • Reply 55 of 87
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    You can expect a hit, but not 40%. More like 10-15% max, the processor won't be turning at full speed constantly anyway.
  • Reply 56 of 87
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John E C View Post

I run Folding@Home 24/7 and my new 2.4 Ghz MacBook is not as warm as my old G4 iBook.

John

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And I mean Just

The Penryn laptops run a heck of a lot cooler. In the dark days of the push for a laptop G5 from Apple, it would have been hard to imagine the achievements of Penryn, from a thermal perspective.

What is reassuring is that the Unibody stuff took airflow and cooling into good account. Radical design changes can sometimes lead to unexpected heat issues.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeGlou View Post

Anyone has an opinion on that ?

I plan to buy a 2.8Ghz and this got me a little concerned.

I asked to an Apple Shop guy yesterday and he said there's no way 2.8Ghz will cripple my battery life more than a few minutes but he didn't look like he knew what he was saying, so...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

You can expect a hit, but not 40%. More like 10-15% max, the processor won't be turning at full speed constantly anyway.

You'd lose maybe 20 minutes out of 3 hours or so, worst case scenario. If you need that kind of CPU, I'd say go for it if you can afford it.

I think the Apple Store guy was trying to say that when you are not doing CPU intensive stuff the difference in battery life can be very small since the Intel laptop CPUs are very good nowadays at dialing down power drain when the CPU is not being used so intensively.
  • Reply 58 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by decondo View Post

Fabulous machine, beautiful design. Glossy won't work for work. Color looks terrific, but reflections cause eye strain (don't want to work even a little harder at work) - been there, done that, can't go back. Doesn't match with 30" matte screen. Hate to even think what it would be like to have a 30" glossy screen.

For Mac-based Pro work, even after all these years, nothing comes close to the Apple Cinema 30", from the studio setups I've seen. Two 30" Apple displays are like de facto Mac setups.

The 23" matte Apple Cinema Displays are still available. Maybe one could pair the new MBP with the 23", using the 23" as the "proofing" display... The MBP display for "portable inspiration on the go", not final comps/etc...?
  • Reply 59 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It could be a USB audio device attached to the internal hub.

Very, very good observation. It looks like the USB in the Apple 24" display acts as a powered 3-port USB hub, as well as a USB audio device.
  • Reply 60 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What is reassuring is that the Unibody stuff took airflow and cooling into good account. Radical design changes can sometimes lead to unexpected heat issues.

This was not unexpected on Apple's part or anybody that took high school physics.