Apple contributes $100,000 to fight California's No on 8 battle

Comments

• Reply 581 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by age234 View Post

I'm almost ashamed to claim the title "Christian" after reading all the insane drivel in this thread. I'm sorry for the impressions so many of you have had confirmed—we're not all like that...

Did I say I am a "Christian"? No. I love and follow the one true Creator but I don't claim any title of religion. Thank God His kingdom is not "of this world", but he still wiped out the city of Sodom & Gmorah due to the homosexuality in that city.

Leviticus 20:13

If a man also lie with a man, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
  • Reply 582 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

I applaud those that stand in opposition to your "drivel".

hey, didn't you say adios?
  • Reply 583 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault View Post

Did I say I am a "Christian"? No. I love and follow the one true Creator but I don't claim any title of religion. Thank God His kingdom is not "of this world", but he still wiped out the city of Sodom & Gmorah due to the homosexuality in that city.

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

buncha crazy egotists on this long thread! haahaha.
  • Reply 584 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surfhero View Post

Gay marriage will be taught in school if 8 fails. To say otherwise is an outright lie!

Fiction: Teaching children about same-sex marriage will happen here unless we pass Prop 8.

* Fact: Not one word in Prop 8 mentions education, and no child can be forced, against the will of their parents, to be taught anything about health and family issues at school. California law prohibits it, and the Yes on 8 campaign knows they are lying. Sacramento Superior Court Judge Timothy Frawley has already ruled that this claim by Prop 8 proponents is ?false and misleading.? The Orange County Register, traditionally one of the most conservative newspapers in the state, says this claim is false. So do lawyers for the California Department of Education.
  • Reply 585 of 1351
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrBaby View Post

B

So it seems to me that what Prop 8 does is simply give same-sex couples the right to call themselves "married." What am I missing here?

A "Yes" vote on Proposition 8 redefines "marriage" as between a man and a woman. That's not currently in the law. It doesn't give a right, it takes rights away.
  • Reply 586 of 1351
    Quote:

If a man also lie with a man, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Since you base your bigotry and discrimination on the book of leviticus, I assume you also abstain from all contact with women while they are menstruating, have no problem selling your daughter into slavery, and refrain from trimming the hair around your temples.

Do you also stone people who dare to wear linen with cotton?
  • Reply 586 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vincent_Agniello View Post

hey, didn't you say adios?

I didn't put him in the ignore bin either.
  • Reply 588 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I call shananigans on this post.

You call shenanigans? ROFL

I don't see any need to ask which side of the issue you fall on.
  • Reply 589 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

A "Yes" vote on Proposition 8 redefines "marriage" as between a man and a woman. That's not currently in the law. It doesn't give a right, it takes rights away.

There is no "right" to marriage in the US Constitution. Get a clue.
  • Reply 590 of 1351
    It's bad enough to have such abominations happening in one's land in the privacy of the sinner's home or wherever they choose. But for our once-God-fearing government and our corporations to legally bless and sanctify such abominations - this really asks for God's judgment to wipe out our country.
  • Reply 591 of 1351
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The Old Books have a lot of stuff about a God who is hateful about the silliest things. Shellfish, anyone? The Old Testament is as if God had a really bad week, found out his old lady was cheating on him and gets drunk at a bar. But He's a really mean drunk who has all these nasty, whacky ideas.
  • Reply 592 of 1351
    Quote:

There is no "right" to marriage in the US Constitution. Get a clue.

Where did he say anything about the US Constitution?

The state of CA (like every other state) has used the word "marriage" to define a legal relationship between two consenting adults, which comes with a set of guaranteed rights to property, power of attorney, etc.

That is a RIGHT, granted by the state. Suggesting that right should only apply to certain groups is discrimination, plain and simple. No amount of religious justification will change that.
  • Reply 593 of 1351
    Quote:

It's bad enough to have such abominations happening in one's land in the privacy of the sinner's home or wherever they choose. But for our once-God-fearing government and our corporations to legally bless and sanctify such abominations - this really asks for God's judgment to wipe out our country.

So, about that whole selling your daughter thing...
  • Reply 594 of 1351
    i think we can all agree that christian or no, gay or no, u.s. citizen or no, there are extremists on all sides. there are people within our respective communities who do not speak for us as individuals.

but as long as we can respectfully disagree with each others viewpoints, we are participating in what the framers termed the "marketplace of ideas," something that has been woefully absent from american politics for a while.

i believe homosexuals should be allowed to marry, and i have my litany of reasons, as do people on the other side of the fence. but if we can't engage in debate without resorting to insulting the other side, we are, to coin a phrase, f***ed.
  • Reply 595 of 1351
    If it's not obvious that these so called issues are abstract just like lives are abstract then you probably have a set ideas that you cling to rigidly and withought respect for alternative views.If you appreciate the abstract nature of life,the issue is simply irrelevant.So why stand in the way...fear! Fear of your very thoughts.Free your mind and you won't have the same desires to control others.
  • Reply 596 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knownikko View Post

Where did he say anything about the US Constitution?

The state of CA (like every other state) has used the word "marriage" to define a legal relationship between two consenting adults, which comes with a set of guaranteed rights to property, power of attorney, etc.

That is a RIGHT, granted by the state. Suggesting that right should only apply to certain groups is discrimination, plain and simple. No amount of religious justification will change that.

Well, I suppose that I can take comfort in the fact that you didn't call shenanigans on me.

If you don't see the religious connection to marriage laws, then you're blind. Our country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles, and our laws reflect that. The US is the only country in history to so define itself. We are unique in that we have a secular government with a society based on religious values.

Secularists hate that, they don't want to to be called to account for morals.
  • Reply 597 of 1351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

If it's not obvious that these so called issues are abstract just like lives are abstract then you probably have a set ideas that you cling to rigidly and withought respect for alternative views.If you appreciate the abstract nature of life,the issue is simply irrelevant.So why stand in the way...fear! Fear of your very thoughts.Free your mind and you won't have the same desires to control others.

That's anarchy, and it's very bad for society.
  • Reply 598 of 1351
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrBaby View Post

Homosexuality is not illegal. Being in a same-sex relationship is not illegal. The law recognizes no distinctions based on the sexual orientation of an individual and places no restrictions on the rights of homosexuals (as it does for, say, convicted felons). As far as this issue is concerned, I've read in several places that even if Prop 8 passes, same-sex couples in California already enjoy all the same legal benefits and protections as heterosexual couples.

So it seems to me that what Prop 8 does is simply give same-sex couples the right to call themselves "married." What am I missing here?

While you are right that under California law "civil unions" enjoy the same legal benefits and protections as "marriages", there are Federally granted rights that are only available to "married" couples.
  • Reply 599 of 1351
    Quote:

If you don't see the religious connection to marriage laws, then you're blind. Our country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles, and our laws reflect that. The US is the only country in history to so define itself. We are unique in that we have a secular government with a society based on religious values.

Secularists hate that, they don't want to to be called to account for morals.

The religious roots of marriage became irrelevant the moment government made it a civil institution and assigned a set of guaranteed rights to it.

Our government has no business enforcing morality.

The word "marriage" has never been the issue - it's just a convenient excuse by those looking to justify their bigotry.

In a perfect world the government would get entirely out of the business of issuing "marriage" licenses and EVERYONE would get a civil union. If you want to get "married" that's between you and your church. the government doesn't recognize nor sanction marriage because as the fundamentalists are quick to point out, it's a "religious" institution.

Of course, we don't have time for rational solutions, and the "yes on 8" camp wouldn't actually want this anyway because it exposes their true fears and motivation.

I applaud Apple and eagerly look forward to the inevitable day when we provide basic rights and respect to everyone - even those we disagree with.
  • Reply 600 of 1351
    Quote:

That's anarchy, and it's very bad for society.

Oppression and ruthless control go hand in hand,that's what tyrants want.Apples liberating people with their minds-Go Apple!