Mac touch FTW!!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 165
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Then you might as well get a traditionally shaped laptop. At least then the screen is protected while in you bag.

No, a laptop would be bulkier and heavier, and wouldn't have the 10" multi-touch screen of OS X goodness. And the solution to protecting the screen is a simple matter of being careful, and getting a sleeve with a hard shell on one side, which would no doubt be a very popular case for this product, made by all the usual suspects.
  • Reply 22 of 165
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

It is fairly simple to guess at what would go in. If you want all day battery life then it will be underpowered.

I don't really expect all day battery from ANY mobile computing device.

Quote:

Then please focus a bit more and explain to us what good a slate tablet would be? Really! If it can't be handheld while it is being used it is crap! There is no market for such a device, never has been and never will be.

Oddly enough, it would be not only as good as an iPhone, but better, since the SCREEN IS LARGER! And by handheld, I mean a class of product the size of the iPhone, designed to be CRADLED IN THE HAND. Of course a 10" MacTouch is going to be a held in your hands while using, we cannot expect it to just levitate in front of us!

As to the market for a 10" MacTouch, just because YOU don't want one does not mean that others don't want one...

Quote:

Ok I just did and have to ask why? Why no keyboard. Why no protection for the sceen. Why give up the usability especially in a device that big. Why would you want such a device?

Why not?!? I can always toss an Apple BlueTooth keyboard in the bag if I want, or one of those roll-up keyboards, or any other number of compact portable keyboard solutions...

As to why no protection for the screen? The exact same could be said for the iPhone, but it seems to be doing okay so far...

And, again, just because YOU don't want one...

Quote:

You do realize that Atom sucks as a low power processor don't you. Further all the other crap you added sucks even more power. It is simple guy if you want the power of a laptop then buy one.

You do realize I stated 'next-gen dual-core Atom CPU', right? I don't follow the rumors on everything out there, but I believe the next-gen Atoms are supposed to be more powerful in regards to processing, but have lower power consumption at the same time... As for 'all the other crap', components can be 'turned of' when not needed. This can even be designed into the software. Off when the app that uses it is not running, on when the app that needs it is activated, and in an idle mode when the app using it is up but inactive.

I don't want a desktop replacement, I want a portable device that lets me do everyday computing tasks. Email, Internet, iPhoto, iChat, iTunes, etc.

If I need more power, I would get a MacBook Pro; AND I would probably carry BOTH the MacBook Pro & the 10" MacTouch in my bag.

Quote:

We have that today they are called laptops. In anyevent there are advantages to text books. For one they don't have glass screens to break. Further you can swap text books just like wives and girlfriends. Would you really want to swap your precious tablet.

Actually, laptops DO have glass screens to break now (new uni-body MacBook/MacBook Pros).

And while YOU may swap wives and girlfriends, I try and be faithful in my relationships...

As for the textbooks, why would you want to swap them? Notes scribbled in the margins & highlighting would become digital annotations on the MacTouch, and could be transferred to another copy of the textbook with ease. I won't go into any issues with piracy of digital textbooks, that would be a grey area to be worked out.

Quote:

I'm going to suggest that you would likely give it away after attempting to use it for awhile. Of course finding somebody to take it off your hands won't be easy as most people would recognize the usability issues right off the bat.

I'm going to suggest WE get a chance to actually USE such a device first, and save our judgements for later...

Quote:

Thankfully you didn't! You are going to hate this but all of the above can be done on an iPhone which can live in your pocket. Besides if there is somebody at the door I'm going to reach for a shotgun because that video camera and tablet won't do you much good.

See, I DON'T WANT to do it all on an iPhone! I WANT a larger screen!

As for the front door & wireless security camera, I'll grab the shotty AFTER I use the camera to discern if the person there is friend or foe...

And the 1911 is always on the hip anyway, except in the bathroom or at bedtime. Even then it is not very far from hand... I guess that would make the 1911 my GO TO handheld device!

Remind me to call from the curb (using my iPhone nano, of course...) when I stop by your house!

Long story short, there are indeed a good number of folks who just might want a hypothetical 10" MacTouch slate tablet. YOU don't have to have one if YOU don't want one, but WHY must you insist that no one else should want one either...?!?
  • Reply 23 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin

As to why no protection for the screen? The exact same could be said for the iPhone, but it seems to be doing okay so far..

See my comment above Ronin, 3rd party sleeves with a hard shell on one side would be the case of choice for this product, all the guys like Griffin would make them - so no problem there. They would be slim and would and protect the glass display just fine.
  • Reply 24 of 165
    Quote:

...it is NOT NORMAL for guys to carry around bags!!! It would serve you well not to suggest such again!

Wow, such a forceful statement. Does the idea of a man carrying a bag awaken your dorment homophobia? Seek help...!

Seriously though, 'a bag' does not automatically denote a purse.

I see men carrying messenger bags, backpacks & single-strap sling bags all the time. I don't think this makes them any lesser of a man...

Realizing that he is a fictional character, are you gonna tell Jack Bauer he is less of a man for toting his bag around all the time...?!?

I could easily fit a 10" MacTouch, a power supply/charger for the MacTouch, a roll-up keyboard, a wireless mouse, a water bottle, a few snacks, a few essential toiletries and a change of clothes (excepting pants, which I could wear again; so that means a clean shirt, socks & underwear) into a bag of that size...

My messenger bag from my college days is huge. I could pack a weekends worth of clothes & toiletries, a 10" MacTouch, a portable keyboard/mouse AND a 15" MacBook Pro in there with no problem. Would it be heavy, yes. But it would NOT be heavier than when it was filled with textbooks...
  • Reply 25 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

See my comment above Ronin, 3rd party sleeks with a hard shell on one side would be the case of choice for this product, all the guys like Griffin would make them - so no problem there. They would be slim would and protect the glass displays just fine.

This is where I would be willing to accept a convertible netbook/tablet, as oppossed to a 'pure' slate tablet device.

Only the introduction of the uni-body makes me think Apple could design a convertible that would have a bulletproof hinge...

See my rant on subsidized 10" convertible netbook/tablets elswhere in the forums!
  • Reply 26 of 165
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I used to be a slate fan. I have 3. The bottom line is they can't act as a laptop replacement. Fact is, the iPhone is more useful.

And no, multitouch keyboard does not make up for the lack of a keyboard.

Why? Ergonomics. Lack of tactile feedback. Bad angle for both typing or viewing. Keyboard obscures half the viewing space on your 10" screen.

Far better to have a netbook sized convertible tablet with both multitouch and stylus. Why stylus? So you can draw things instead of fingerpaint. Multitouch on a large 30"+ surface is different from a 10" surface which is different from a iPhone sized surface.

With a netbook sized convertible you get the best of all worlds. Compact size. Physical keyboard so you can TYPE stuff. Flip the screen over and use as a ebook, drawing surface or multitouch surface. Screen is protected when it's closed.
  • Reply 27 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I used to be a slate fan. I have 3. The bottom line is they can't act as a laptop replacement. Fact is, the iPhone is more useful.

Than...

You don't have a Mac touch
  • Reply 28 of 165
    Quote:

I am gonna go out on a limb here and guess that none of the three are Mac OS X machines...

Quote:

And no, multitouch keyboard does not make up for the lack of a keyboard.

Why? Ergonomics. Lack of tactile feedback. Bad angle for both typing or viewing. Keyboard obscures half the viewing space on your 10" screen.

Which is why I have always stated that a portable keyboard/mouse combo tossed in the bag is a key accessory...

Quote:

Far better to have a netbook sized convertible tablet with both multitouch and stylus. Why stylus? So you can draw things instead of fingerpaint. Multitouch on a large 30"+ surface is different from a 10" surface which is different from a iPhone sized surface.

With a netbook sized convertible you get the best of all worlds. Compact size. Physical keyboard so you can TYPE stuff. Flip the screen over and use as a ebook, drawing surface or multitouch surface. Screen is protected when it's closed.

Look at some of the latest threads on netbooks. I have gone on a bit about a convertible netbook/tablet as of late. The only thing I don't like about a convertible is that bloody hinge; frankly, it scares me.

Quote:

Than...

You don't have a Mac touch

There it is. It is NOT in the least bit fair to compare ANY Windows tablet to a Mac OS X tablet, when there hasen't even been an Apple produced Mac OS X tablet yet AT ALL...!!!
  • Reply 29 of 165
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    Quote:

The size asked for was 8.5X5.5 Their is a great deal of weight and ease of carrying between that and the size shown.

What I would like to see is a device 170mmX105mm (7.1"X4.4") So that it would still fit in my jacket pocket and could easily use as an e-book reader.
  • Reply 30 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REM#1

What I would like to see is a device 170mmX105mm (7.1"X4.4") So that it would still fit in my jacket pocket..

Exactly, your jacket pocket. Not everyone else's. Given the choice I'd bet more people would like a 10" display, as opposed to a 6.6" display, like you want.
  • Reply 31 of 165
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Exactly, your jacket pocket. Not everyone else's. Given the choice I'd bet more people would like a 10" display, as opposed to a 6.6" display, like you want.

Most people want conveniece and the ability to replace their phone, iPod, quick camera, and soon their ebook reader (the program that makes the iPhone & iTouch into e-readers has outsold all of the dedicated ereaders by about 5 times)

I believe the 9-10" devices are a different device class.
  • Reply 32 of 165
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I am gonna go out on a limb here and guess that none of the three are Mac OS X machines...

One MotionComputing, one ruggedized slate, one older viewsonic.

I've used a Modbook. It was interesting but honestly OneNote is pretty good. There's not much in OSX (Mac not iPhone) that natively lends itself to being a better slate.

Quote:

Which is why I have always stated that a portable keyboard/mouse combo tossed in the bag is a key accessory...

These slates all have portable keyboard options. The problem is that none are designed to work very well in laptop mode.

Quote:

Look at some of the latest threads on netbooks. I have gone on a bit about a convertible netbook/tablet as of late. The only thing I don't like about a convertible is that bloody hinge; frankly, it scares me.

I have a convertible Toughbook too. One of my co-workers has a Toshiba convertible. I have an old IBM TransNote as well. Never had a broken hinge. I bet the hinge in the toughbook is stronger than the one in my MBP.

Given I'm willing to take that into the field and not my MBP I say that hinge strength is a non-issue.

Quote:

There it is. It is NOT in the least bit fair to compare ANY Windows tablet to a Mac OS X tablet, when there hasen't even been an Apple produced Mac OS X tablet yet AT ALL...!!!

The operating system is different but human is not. I have one and a half multi-touch devices as well (A DiamondTouch from Mitsubishi and another that does gestures but is not fully multi-touch). I've used a multitouch keyboard on a FITR multitouch device.

I can see a slate that docks into a laptop base (more batteries, optical and hdd, keyboard base) as a possibility. Or perhaps an iMac like base. But personal experience and observation tells me that a 10" slate is less useful than a 10" convertible.

If you're curious why I have so many machines and such oddball ones at that...I support HCI research.
  • Reply 33 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post

Most people want conveniece and the ability to replace their phone, iPod, quick camera, and soon their ebook reader (the program that makes the iPhone & iTouch into e-readers has outsold all of the dedicated ereaders by about 5 times)

I believe the 9-10" devices are a different device class.

Well you got the "different class" part right. Curious how much work you get done on your iPhone? I love mine, but I don't work done on it. It's not powerful enough and its screen is too small - enter Mac touch. Boom!
  • Reply 34 of 165
    Quote:

One MotionComputing, one ruggedized slate, one older viewsonic.

I've used a Modbook. It was interesting but honestly OneNote is pretty good. There's not much in OSX (Mac not iPhone) that natively lends itself to being a better slate.

Not yet.
  • Reply 35 of 165
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I would also want a slightly larger then iPhone size rather then 10 inch.

However 720 x 480 is not HD. So i dont think iPhone HD 's name is good.
  • Reply 36 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I would also want a slightly larger then iPhone size rather then 10 inch.

However 720 x 480 is not HD. So i dont think iPhone HD 's name is good.

Considering it won't be a phone that might be an unusual name.
  • Reply 37 of 165
    Quote:

...MotionComputing...

That's what they use on Stargate Atlantis.

Quote:

I've used a Modbook. It was interesting... There's not much in OSX (Mac not iPhone) that natively lends itself to being a better slate.

Quote:

Not yet.

What Ireland said...

Quote:

I can see a slate that docks into a laptop base (more batteries, optical and hdd, keyboard base) as a possibility. Or perhaps an iMac like base. But personal experience and observation tells me that a 10" slate is less useful than a 10" convertible.

This was an interesting mock-up...

• Reply 38 of 165
    Creating a terrible mockup = easy

Figuring out how the software would work on said crap mockup = very difficult

Looks to me like the Mac touch would need Yet-Another-Version-of-MacOSX. This will never happen. It would require tremendous effort on Apple's part to maintain the iPhone/iPod version, the Mac touch version, and the full-blown version.

I'm not even go over the flaws the Mac touch would exhibit (but the biggest that comes to mind is how someone would type on it without first laying it down on a flat surface.)

Anyway...Ireland and MacRonin have fertile imaginations if slightly disconnected from reality.
  • Reply 39 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Creating a terrible mockup = easy

Figuring out how the software would work on said crap mockup = very difficult.

Stating the obvious, easy. And thanks dude. While you're busy criticizing my mockup, why not do you yourself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Looks to me like the Mac touch would need Yet-Another-Version-of-MacOSX. This will never happen. It would require tremendous effort on Apple's part to maintain the iPhone/iPod version, the Mac touch version, and the full-blown version.

Betting man are we? So it would "require tremendous effort" and that's why they aren't going to do it? I think you're wrong about that. It will require a lot of effort, which is why it's taking them years to do. They are doing it though, they are bringing touch to the Mac, in a way that makes sense, like Mac touch. All the best results require the hardest effort. They'll put in this work, and they'll reap the benefits.
  • Reply 40 of 165
    Quote:

Stating the obvious, easy. And thanks dude. While you're busy criticizing my mockup, why not do you yourself.

Betting man are we? So it would "require tremendous effort" and that's why they aren't going to do it? I think you're wrong about that. It will require a lot of effort, which is why it's taking them years to do. They are doing it though, they are bringing touch to the Mac, in a way that makes sense, like Mac touch. All the best results require the hardest effort. They'll put in this work, and they'll reap the benefits.

Well, ever since the iPhone was released, not a whole lot of things have happened on the Mac OS X side of things. Are you secretly wanting to halt Mac OS X development completely? I think so.