Informed players say Apple's Mac mini still kickin'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 159
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

Well said, Dave. You've summed it up succinctly, the MagSafe connector is quite secure and no one need fear that it's going to disconnect serendipitously. IMO, to say anything else is scaremongering by people who've never used it or people who are using their MagSafe-equipped laptops in a manner which exceeds the design intent.

I think MagSafe is a marvelous invention which does exactly what it's supposed to. The only reason it isn't used by more manufacturers is the NIH (Not Invented Here) factor. Or maybe the patent.

The only thing you might be right about here is the quality of the existing adapter. If it is really as easy or easier to pull out than MagSafe than I think that's a major flaw. On the other hand, the power cord on an iMac or MacPro is much more secure than a MagSafe, as you would expect, since the Magsafe is designed to be easily removable.

Why would you design a desktop computer with an easily removable power cord? It simply does not make sense. And in fact, I had a Macbook with a faulty battery that held no charge, so I've experienced the pain in the @** that is having someone step on your power cord and your computer do a hard shutdown.

I would say unequivocally that the MagSafe and any other easy to remove power cord is not suited for computers that don't have a battery. And really, this is an obvious fact.
  • Reply 122 of 159
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Perhaps when you set up your new mini, you should route the power cord where it's not easily stepped on. Problem solved. Unlike a portable, your mini isn't likely to be moved all over the room. The power connector on the current mini is somewhat flimsy compared to, say, a Mac Pro but I've never had a problem with it. If Apple thought it would be a problem, perhaps they could attach a clip next to the Magsafe connector which would hold it in place. Seems unnecessary to me.
  • Reply 123 of 159
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

I would say unequivocally that the MagSafe and any other easy to remove power cord is not suited for computers that don't have a battery. And really, this is an obvious fact.

If the following Hard Mac rumor is accurate, Apple engineers don't concur with your belief:

The Mac mini Is EOL but NOT Dead!

And neither do I.
  • Reply 124 of 159
    I personally don't see a lot of value added in including a MagSafe connector, as cool as they are, on the new mini. Since it's not a portable device, a plain 'ole wall wart AC power supply, as ugly as those are, is what I expect them to supply it with. Not pretty or elegant, but it'll keep costs and form factors in check. The prevailing MacMini predictions seem very much within reason to be expected. The deletion of Firewire, though unwelcomed, if it contributes to the model's continued sub-$600 price point, I'll take it.

See, I don't just need one MacMini--I need at least three (two for use as HTPCs and security camera DVRs, and one for the kitchen), so an economical price point is key. Otherwise, I'll have to reconsider compact PCs again for those specialized applications I have planned for my minis (which I really DON'T want to do). I look forward with great anticipation to a few moderate performance bumps and refreshed cosmetics, and I'll be damned happy with just those minor improvements alone (while still retaining its $599 price point, that is).
  • Reply 125 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 460FILMS View Post

I personally don't see a lot of value added in including a MagSafe connector, as cool as they are, on the new mini.

It would be good, if it means Apple is embracing the notion that some people want to keep their computers and displays separate as components, rather than all-in-one.

Connecting a mini with Magsafe to a new Apple display with its three-in-one power supply, USB, Mini DisplayPort cable would be nearly as "elegant" as an iMac. If a new 20" display is reasonably priced, this would indeed be a new direction for Apple and I think the mini/display combination would sell well.
  • Reply 126 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Unlike a portable, your mini isn't likely to be moved all over the room.

EXACTLY why it makes no sense to use a MagSafe with it. THE WHOLE POINT of a MagSafe adapter is to have it easily removable for portable computing. That is the raison d'etre for the MagSafe connector.
  • Reply 127 of 159
    Quote:

If the following Hard Mac rumor is accurate, Apple engineers don't concur with your belief:

And neither do I.

What in God's name does that rumor have to do with anything? I saw nothing about MagSafe adapter's in it.
  • Reply 128 of 159
    Quote:

It would be good, if it means Apple is embracing the notion that some people want to keep their computers and displays separate as components, rather than all-in-one.

Connecting a mini with Magsafe to a new Apple display with its three-in-one power supply, USB, Mini DisplayPort cable would be nearly as "elegant" as an iMac. If a new 20" display is reasonably priced, this would indeed be a new direction for Apple and I think the mini/display combination would sell well.

The mini itself is Apple embracing that notion, regardless of the type of power adapter. And since when has Apple ever sold a "reasonably priced" display. I'm not saying they aren't competitively priced for the same technology, but in terms of hoping for apple to release a cheap display a la some of the displays dell gives free with their desktops, I say fat chance.

If Apple's plan were to power the mini with the new displays, they would've put a desktop class power connector and released an adapter for MagSafe that could be used with the new notebooks.

I repeat, there is absolutely no sense in powering a computer without battery backup via a connector that is designed to be easily removable. That is simply stupid.
  • Reply 129 of 159
    Quote:

The mini itself is Apple embracing that notion, regardless of the type of power adapter. And since when has Apple ever sold a "reasonably priced" display. I'm not saying they aren't competitively priced for the same technology, but in terms of hoping for apple to release a cheap display a la some of the displays dell gives free with their desktops, I say fat chance.

Apple doesn't embrace or promote the mini. They sell it as the lonely stepchild of the Mac line. If they were to make it so that it connects to their new display(s) as elegantly as the MacBooks, it would mean they're actually embracing it and they want it to sell.

I didn't suggest a Dell-priced display, just something reasonable. Dropping $100 off the current price of the 20" model would be a step in the right direction. As it is, nobody in their right mind considers an Apple display these days.

Quote:

If Apple's plan were to power the mini with the new displays, they would've put a desktop class power connector and released an adapter for MagSafe that could be used with the new notebooks.

A new idea like the three-in-one display cable that immediately needs an adapter? Please. \

At first I didn't like the idea of the three-in-one cable on Apple's new display. It reminded me of ADC which was a terrible design and required an expensive power adapter if you were stuck with an ADC display and any computer that didn't have an ADC port.

With the new display cable, you can use it or not. And if your MacBook or Mac mini has a Magsafe power connector, it'll be quite nice. Mini DisplayPort will require an adapter with non-Apple computers, but it won't be as expensive as DVI to ADC adapters were.
  • Reply 130 of 159
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I repeat, there is absolutely no sense in powering a computer without battery backup via a connector that is designed to be easily removable. That is simply stupid.

It's not THAT easy to remove. I've done it a couple times but only with a level of force that would have dumped my laptop on the floor.

Likewise, I'd rather have an unintended powerdown than my mini crashing to the floor.

You can find an angle where the magsafe pops out easily but typically that's when you're a bit too far from the outlet.
  • Reply 131 of 159
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    For practical purposes, Apple would then need to sell the power brick separately from the mini since those with the new Apple Display wouldn't need it. I don't think Apple would go that route. For laptops, it makes sense as it allows the user to keep the included brick as strictly a travel accessory. Obviously, the mini doesn't need travel power.
  • Reply 132 of 159
    Quote:

Since the new mini isn't out yet, the first suggested use for the new display (and hopefully a coming 20" model) is to use it as an external monitor for the new laptops. For that, MagSafe is a necessity. Later, the displays will be used with the new mini. Either power cord would be fine with it, but do you really want more than one? Since MagSafe is a necessity for the laptops, and an neutral item for the mini, I predict it will be used for both.

Besides, a lot of people take minis with them for remote setups where the cords are not as carefully arranged as they are at home. I'll bet a lot of them have been pulled off of tables!
  • Reply 133 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

For practical purposes, Apple would then need to sell the power brick separately from the mini since those with the new Apple Display wouldn't need it.

You'd need it when you decided to sell the mini and replace it with something different. Seems like a minor detail to me, but the whole thing is probably a far fetched idea anyway.
  • Reply 134 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Besides, a lot of people take minis with them for remote setups where the cords are not as carefully arranged as they are at home. I'll bet a lot of them have been pulled off of tables!

I don't know why that's so funny.
  • Reply 135 of 159
    Quote:

Unlike a portable, your mini isn't likely to be moved all over the room..

So would you think that Apple is planning a refresh of the Mac Pro with a built-in magsafe power adapter as well to take advantage of the new displays? What about the Apple TV?

Curious. . . .
  • Reply 136 of 159
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Here's an idea:

Add to the new Mini a small battery or capacitor that holds just enough power to put the computer to hibernation. If you pull out the magsafe, the computer hibernates within 3-4 seconds. Plug it back in (where you were or somewhere else) and it takes a few seconds to wake up, and you're up and running.

That would allow for a portable mini, as well as make the magsafe sensible.
  • Reply 137 of 159
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

So would you think that Apple is planning a refresh of the Mac Pro with a built-in magsafe power adapter as well to take advantage of the new displays? What about the Apple TV?

Curious. . . .

The Mac Pro isn't likely to be on the desktop. Nor is it likely to be content with 85W of power. Nor is it luggable.

The mini is all three.
  • Reply 138 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synp View Post

Here's an idea:

Add to the new Mini a small battery or capacitor that holds just enough power to put the computer to hibernation. If you pull out the magsafe, the computer hibernates within 3-4 seconds. Plug it back in (where you were or somewhere else) and it takes a few seconds to wake up, and you're up and running.

That would allow for a portable mini, as well as make the magsafe sensible.

We need a desktop not a mini laptop with no screen and a higher price next to other desktops.
  • Reply 139 of 159
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

MagSafe is all about lowering Apples need to repair or handle warranty work for broken or intermittent power connectors on the portables. It is not a portable specific product but more of an attempt to maintain reliability leadership.

The use of MagSafe on Portables does not rule out its use elsewhere.

My going with MagSafe across the board Apple achieves a commonality of parts. If the same brick that powers a MBP can be used with a Mini then Apple has just scored an advantage.

MagSafe magnetic latch does not eliminate the possibility of another, supplemental mechanical latch.

MagSafe is reasonably low profile thus could lead to implementation on a number of Apple products.

Pulling the brick off the wall and putting it into a Cinema display is a very smart move in my book. It should actually increase system reliability from a power distribution point of view.

One should keep an open mind to how the feature can be co-opted or enhanced for use in ways that might not seem to be immediately obvious.

Dave
  • Reply 140 of 159
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

And neither do I.

Quote:

What in God's name does that rumor have to do with anything? I saw nothing about MagSafe adapter's in it.

Seeing as how the original purpose of this thread was to discuss the future of the Mac mini, and the discussion about the MagSafe connector & the Mac mini is only a sidetrack of the thread...