Apple ahead of curve, but HP Touch Screen?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is it me, or does it seem odd that Apple didn't come out with a touch screen computer first? I mean, they have the iPhone, and all of it's glory?

Sure seems like they should have been first to the gate with this. Now, even if they come out with one, and it's A LOT better, it will still look like they copied HP.

Now I'm a big fan of competition, and it's a safe bet, all things phone / computer related will be better and better sooner because of this, but I for one, don't like it when Apple isn't first to the gate

Skip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    No

Apple's not going to create a touchscreen a la the HP either. It doesn't make ergonomic sense. Multi Touch is good for small portable devices and input devices but it is not good for turning your computer into a kiosk.

Would you really want to be on a kiosk for 8hrs a day? Very little of my day centers around rotating pictures or sorting through pictures or doing anything that is actually

improved by multi touch.

Thank God Apple knows this and has avoided silly product like the HP Touch or the Microsoft Surface.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Is it me, or does it seem odd that Apple didn't come out with a touch screen computer first?

Touch screen computers have been around for years, and officially the iPhone is a "phone".

Their Mac touch touch screen "computer" is still about a year away. It's not about being first, it's about doing it right, thoroughly and being the best.

• Reply 3 of 6
    ssassa Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Touch screen computers have been around for years, and officially the iPhone is a "phone".

Their Mac touch touch screen "computer" is still about a year away. It's not about being first, it's about doing it right, thoroughly and being the best.

Touch screeen monitors have been on the market for quite some time and unless you are blind you have seen them in various kiosks, POS terminals, and ATMs for years. I just think that the price has made touch screen monitors a hard sell for many home consumers. A 15" touch screen costs more than most 20" LCDs. Most of the cost of production for the Touchsmart is no doubt in the monitor because the components for the most part are pretty unimpressive. Moving to a touchscreen on the iMac would add several hundred dollars to the cost of the iMac for probably a very marginal benefit in sales. Only the $2100 Touchsmart really has hardware that is significantly better than the iMacs that Apple released earlier this year. We will see soon, but somhow I think that the new iMacs will be significantly better than the current line of Touchsmarts at a lower price point.

For the most part touchscreens are gee whiz to a lot of users. It is neat, but I don't see most people spending signficantly more money for a gee whiz feature especially in the current economy.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Is it me...

Yes. It's you.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSA View Post

Touch screeen monitors have been on the market for quite some time and unless you are blind you have seen them in various kiosks, POS terminals, and ATMs for years. I just think that the price has made touch screen monitors a hard sell for many home consumers. A 15" touch screen costs more than most 20" LCDs. Most of the cost of production for the Touchsmart is no doubt in the monitor because the components for the most part are pretty unimpressive. Moving to a touchscreen on the iMac would add several hundred dollars to the cost of the iMac for probably a very marginal benefit in sales. Only the $2100 Touchsmart really has hardware that is significantly better than the iMacs that Apple released earlier this year. We will see soon, but somhow I think that the new iMacs will be significantly better than the current line of Touchsmarts at a lower price point.

For the most part touchscreens are gee whiz to a lot of users. It is neat, but I don't see most people spending signficantly more money for a gee whiz feature especially in the current economy.

I touch screen desktop, "tiring".
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I'm waiting for one before replacing my G5 iMac. The main reason is that I have a 4 year old grandson and a 7 year old granddaughter that live on the iMac when they are at my house.

The granddaughter is in the 1st grade and reading at a 3rd grade level and I think computers are a big factor in that. The grandson is only a master of hotwheels.com right now, but is improving.

I see the touch screen as a way for them to do more on a computer and figure it's worth the money. Until then the G5 iMac can handle their needs.

As for me, I'd probably use it a bit working on old photos that I've scanned and am retouching. But at my age it's all about the grandkids.