Poll: Is the lack of a firewire port a deal breaker on the new MacBook?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    We just got our first shipment of MacBooks in to replace dell laptops that were EOL. Number one complaint so far has been people just getting used to the track pad and the gestures. I imagine that will continue until the end of the week, two max before we can't pry them out of their cold dead hands.

Personally, I'm still on the last generation of 12.1" PB. I've been putting off getting a new machine. I still do some traveling and the 12.1" fits perfectly on an airplane tray table. Funny thing is the number of people who come up and still wish Apple made the 12.1" laptops.

I still have a prosumer and professional grade HD camcorders that use Firewire, but I still have my old Quad-Core G5 PowerMac for those if needed. Same with several external harddrives, but they are all Firewire or USB2. It's just FW is so much faster when transferring GB's of video data.

Still, I am more likely to get a last model MacBook Pro from Mac Mall on discount so I can get the matte screen and the discount.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryan330 View Post

Will you not buy a new MacBook because it doesn't have a firewire port?

Just trying to get a feel for the amount of people who refuse to buy a MacBook because of the firewire issue.

Didn't stop me from buying one. Sure, I miss FW, but I onlyused ot to back up to a portable external drive. The case also has USB, so I guess I'll be using that instead of FW.

Not a dealbreaker. I wanted the 13" size and back-lit keyboard more than I wanted firewire.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    I never really thought of myself as a pro when I was using my iBook G4 1Ghz to capture video for editing, so I certainly wasn't expecting to be in the position of considering a MBP, but the lack of firewire on the MB has me seriously considering it. I need a new laptop, the iBook is just too slow for me anymore. I'm considering a refurbished last gen MBP, it fits the budget and provides best value...but the new models are stunning, and since I plan on using it for at least the next 4 years, I might just save up and get a new model MBP, it's the most "futureproof" option. I don't own a desktop, and don't plan to, this will be my sole computer, so I guess I can justify spending that much on a computer. I guess it'd help if I actually had that much money in my bank account
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Firewire please

Audio devices with 26/28 audio ins and 10/16 audio outs are available ON FIREWIRE.

I shudder to think of the missing bits when you try recording anything like that amount of data over USB.

I usually agree with most things Jobs says, but on this he is a complete fukking twat.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Bump! lets keep this thread alive, keep voting!

I want to get more than just 60 votes...
  • Reply 26 of 38
    I would call myself a 'multimedia hobbyist'. I play around with audio, a bit with video, but i'm not making that much money from it to call myself a Pro. Thus a MBP is clearly out of reach. In a place like Berlin you find thousands of people like me, and the market share of Macs in that group is considerable. And growing (so far).

I have a couple of Firewire drives (USB would be a downgrade) and a firewire audio interface (USB for audio interfaces is almost non existent). Similar situation for the video folks i know: An x-amount of new camcorders with USB ports got released recently, but those record AVC video - a nightmare in the editing process! It surprises me that this issue hardly gets addressed. All the folks i've talked to will stick with DV camcorders which need firewire.

In other words, the new MB is a cripple-book. At least for the group of users i'm referring to.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I will not buy a MacBook since it doesn't have a FireWire port. Had the money in hand and everything, but no Firewire is no sale to me. I'm not going to take Apple's bait and spend $700 more for the new MBP and I'm certainly not going to take a chance on whether the nVidia card in the previous gen MBPs dies before the 2 year extended warranty expires.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

I will not buy a MacBook since it doesn't have a FireWire port. Had the money in hand and everything, but no Firewire is no sale to me. I'm not going to take Apple's bait and spend $700 more for the new MBP and I'm certainly not going to take a chance on whether the nVidia card in the previous gen MBPs dies before the 2 year extended warranty expires.

Now this has gotten very interesting.... more than half of AI readers refuse to buy the new MB? Is this poll really representative of this forum?
  • Reply 29 of 38
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryan330 View Post

Now this has gotten very interesting.... more than half of AI readers refuse to buy the new MB? Is this poll really representative of this forum?

I think so..

While many of us love the improved graphics performance and the aluminum chassis the lack of Firewire is a step backwards.

If I had thought that I was the only one angered by the lack of FW It would be one thing but I've been to many websites and frankly there are a lot of people sitting on their wallets on this one. I expect the sales to go gangbusters as people ante up but then tank more quickly due to the economy and frankly people that don't view a USB only laptop as something they should be spending more money on.

I think I'll go check it out today at the University Village Apple Store here in WA.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    Yes it is interesting. I voted that I would buy a new MB, and I did buy one. But I wish I could have voted no and not bought one.

I have the money to buy a MBP and I need firewire. But I have been using my 12" PB much too long while waiting in vain for a pro portable Mac, and so I capitulated.

I'll use the money I could have spent and wanted to spend on a pro portable instead to buy a MB and try to replace my firewire audio and video devices.

And if Apple comes out with a pro portable then I'll still buy it in a heartbeat, though IMO they are unlikely to do so and they will miss yet more sales to me while I wait much longer than I would prefer with my new MB. Not only do users like me lose out but so does Apple.

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt Jobs/Apple will change their mind and many users will, like me, eventually succumb to Apple's marketing/product line-ups, or otherwise buy a competitor's product and run Linux or Windows.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    So I changed my mind, it was a deal breaker for me that there was no firewire port, mostly because I wanted some sort of way to capture video for editing...then I found this :

http://www.amazon.com/Plextor-Macint...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

keeping in mind that I'm not a "pro" video editor, it is really just a hobby, this device should suit my needs just fine. I currently use a canopus advc 55 firewire device for capturing and it works flawlessly. The Plextor is a step down (can't do uncompressed video/audio) but It'll do.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    For me, firewire is not an issue, I've never used it and my Sony HDD camcorder uses USB.

My wife got the late 2007 13" 2.2 GHz MB, and after using hers I steadfastly held off purchasing my first Mac until this edition was released.

It was well worth the wait. In addition to the fantastic styling, I love the improved graphics & sound, touchpad features, and with my "non-school trained" typing skills, the backlit keyboard is essential.

Yet another PC convert, I love the quality and ease of using a Mac. Firewire or not, this one's a winner.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Just talked to my buddy.

His g4 Macbook just died and so he bought the White Macbook and kept the extra $300 in his pocket because

A. He wanted the lowest cost option

B. He wanted to use Target Disk Mode

I told him about Time Machine since he has a FW drive that he can hook up as well and

truthfully the value of this Macbook will remain high as it's one of the fastest Macbooks

one can purchase with FW.

He's not a gamer (computer that is he does have an xbox 360) so the gpu performance

meant nothing.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    I too am just about due to sell/upgrade my laptop as I did 3 years ago when my 12" iBook G3/600MHz was 3 years old. Now my 12" iBook G4/1.33GHz is again 3 years old (AppleCare limit just ran out) and I had planned on taking it in for inspection right before since I had never utilized the $250 warranty I purchased with it. Unfortunately, I forgot I bought in August and it was too late in September when I noticed. It is making a loud creaking sound or loud buzzing, (esp. when lifted up off a service), about 50% of the time. The other times it makes no unusual noise and in either case, it always functions properly (may be the drive? fan? ...dunno).

Anyway, I was so excited about the new aluminum MacBooks (would be my first Intel Mac), and the timing seemed right. To get the 2.4GHz upgrade as desired it would cost me about $2000.00 total after AppleCare, etc. But when you upgrade you always give up small things (no more Classic mode, no modem, screen lacks height of iBook, though wider overall) even though you gain much more. After reading this and other threads as well as articles and reports, I too can't see spending all that money for the "latest-and-greatest" to give up FireWire. I like the convenience of Target Disk Mode, the smooth choice for camcorder video importing, overall more capable and intelligent interface than USB (regardless of speed), and it is Apple's very own implementation, that I remember marveling at with the first iPod I bought back in 2001! I have a few large external drives (all both USB and FireWire), and my last iPod 60GB was from 2005, so still uses FireWire or USB (new iPod Touch only USB). My cam is only FireWire, but cam comes built-in on MacBooks now so that's no big deal.

I just think it's weird to know the older model you are upgrading, as well as the cheapest new ones, have that interface, as well as the MacBook Pros, skipping over the middle. I want the latest design ("future-proof" as they say, computers get outdated soon enough), especially with the innovations and complete overhaul (plus the entry level looks just like my old iBook, pretty much). I even considered upgrading to MacBook Pro, but to be honest, it would easily be $600 more after the price increase since even the AppleCare is $100 more, and to be honest, it is too pricey for me, especially in today's economy. Besides, I actually like the weight and convenient size of the 13" letting you zip around the house or carry with ease. The 15" feels too cumbersome and significantly heavier (I held one in each hand at the store), and I already have that behemoth 21" PowerMac CRT in my office w/my PowerMac for a large display. So to pay $600 more and get the size I don't need or want, or else get something that is on its way out and isn't the complete new redesign, both seem like poor alternatives.

I guess I can wait until the next revision. Do you think about six months or so? What I'm thinking is there will be enough complaints that either Apple will reintroduce FireWire (in which case I'd be pissed if I bought one now without it) or eliminate it all together. Then I won't wait because if still missing from the next line up by then (after all the time an despite the uproar) I can pretty must rest assured it isn't coming back. Something just tells me though they may do a 180º with the next revision (maybe even FireWire 800?). I can just see Steve Jobs' keynote: "...and guess what. We brought back FireWire!" (cheers & applause from the audience). \
  • Reply 35 of 38
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I too am just about due to sell/upgrade my laptop as I did 3 years ago when my 12" iBook G3/600MHz was 3 years old. Now my 12" iBook G4/1.33GHz is again 3 years old (AppleCare limit just ran out) and I had planned on taking it in for inspection right before since I had never utilized the $250 warranty I purchased with it. Unfortunately, I forgot I bought in August and it was too late in September when I noticed. It is making a loud creaking sound or loud buzzing, (esp. when lifted up off a service), about 50% of the time. The other times it makes no unusual noise and in either case, it always functions properly (may be the drive? fan? ...dunno).

Anyway, I was so excited about the new aluminum MacBooks (would be my first Intel Mac), and the timing seemed right. To get the 2.4GHz upgrade as desired it would cost me about $2000.00 total after AppleCare, etc. But when you upgrade you always give up small things (no more Classic mode, no modem, screen lacks height of iBook, though wider overall) even though you gain much more. After reading this and other threads as well as articles and reports, I too can't see spending all that money for the "latest-and-greatest" to give up FireWire. I like the convenience of Target Disk Mode, the convenience for camcorder importing, overall more capable and intelligent interface than USB (regardless of speed), and it is Apple's very own implementation, that I remember marveling at with the first iPod I bought back in 2001! I have a few large external drives (all USB or FireWire however), and my last iPod 60GB was from 2005, so still uses FireWire or USB (new iPod Touch only USB). My cam is only FireWire, but cam comes built-in on MacBooks now so no big deal.

I just think it's weird to the older model you are upgrading, as well as the cheapest new ones, have that interface, as well as the MacBook Pros, skipping over the middle. I want the latest design ("future-proof" as they say, computers get outdated soon enough), especially with the innovations and complete overhaul (plus the entry level looks just like my old iBook, pretty much). I even considered upgrading to MacBook Pro, but to be honest, it would easily be $600 more after the price increase since even the AppleCare is $100 more, and to be honest, it is too pricey for me, especially in today's economy. Besides, I actually like the weight and convenient size of the 13" letting you zip around the house or carry with ease. The 15" feels too cumbersome and significantly heavier (I held one in each hand at the store), and I already have that behemoth 21" PowerMac CRT in my office w/my PowerMac for a large display. So to pay $600 more and get the size I don't need or want, or else get something that is on its way out and isn't the complete new redesign, both seem like poor alternatives.

I guess I can wait until the next revision. Do you think about six months or so? What I'm thinking is there will be enough complaints that either Apple will reintroduce FireWire (in which case I'd be pissed if I bought one now without) or eliminate it all together. Then I won't wait because if still missing from the next line up by then (after all the time an despite the uproar) I can pretty must rest assured it isn't coming back. Something just tells me though they may do a 180º with the next revision (maybe even FireWire 800?). I can just see Steve Jobs' keynote: "...and guess what. We brought back FireWire!" (cheers & applause from the audience). \

They don't need to bring back firewire, it's already there and if you want it so badly purchase any of the other computers with it inlcluding the 999 macbook.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

They don't need to bring back firewire, it's already there and if you want it so badly purchase any of the other computers with it inlcluding the 999 macbook.

"You can have any color you want as long as it's Black"

Henry Ford
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Wow, for someone who just quoted my entire post in his response, you certainly overlooked the part where I said "to pay $600 more and get the size I don't need or want, or else get something that is on its way out and isn't the complete new redesign, both seem like poor alternatives."
  • Reply 38 of 38
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Three words: Target. Disk. Mode.