Prob w/new drive in new MB

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I just bought a new 2.4Ghz MB and, after booting it up once to make sure it was working, I replaced the stock drive with a Western Digital Scorpio 7200rpm 16MB 320GB drive. Thereafter, upon booting the MB with the OS X install disk in the drive the screen remains grey.

Periodically, it sounded like the MB was accessing the install dvd but it would just restart then do the same thing etc. There is no image whatsoever on the screen when this occurs, just the grey background. I reset the PRAM and had no change. I tried booting holding the S key and the shift key etc. etc. All the MB does is try to restart.

So I put the original drive back in and everything is ok, with the system booting up.

I recently replaced the crashed drive in my wife's old MB and did not run into this problem, either with the crashed drive or with its replacement.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: For the time being TO REPLACE THE HARD DRIVE ON THE FALL 2008 MACBOOK USE THE INSTALL DISK SHIPPED WITH THE MACBOOK AND NOT A MULTI-LICENSE OS X 10.5 DVD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Make sure the drive jumpers are set correctly - best to set it to CS. If there are 4 pins with a connector over two, removing the connector should set it to CS. If there are 6 pins, check for tags that represent CS, Master and Slave.

If booting holding the c-key doesn't start from the disc, try holding the alt-key.

Once you start up the installer, open Disk Utility, select the drive, go to partition, hit options, format as GUID partition table and HFS+ Extended Journaled. Then install the system.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    I resolved my issue. I think. Instead of using the install disk that was shipped with the MB I was using my multi-license OS X 10.5 dvd that I purchased sometime in the past year or so.

So I finally tried to boot with the install disk shipped with the MB and now it appears as if everything is working. I am about half-way through the install process now but all appears normal.

Use the install disk shipped with the MB for any replacement hard drive, at least for the time being.

Jeeeeeesh.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Make sure the drive jumpers are set correctly - best to set it to CS. If there are 4 pins with a connector over two, removing the connector should set it to CS. If there are 6 pins, check for tags that represent CS, Master and Slave.

If booting holding the c-key doesn't start from the disc, try holding the alt-key.

Once you start up the installer, open Disk Utility, select the drive, go to partition, hit options, format as GUID partition table and HFS+ Extended Journaled. Then install the system.

Marvin, thanks for your help. Our posts crossed at about the same time and I was unable to try your suggestion before I changed to the MB's shipped install disk.

I may have the opportunity to try your suggestion in the future and so thanks again.