Microsoft's Windows 7 to bring Apple-tinged design changes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Awesome, this will be a great OS for people too poor or unsophisticated to buy a Mac. It will have many of the same features, and give them the appealing illusion of cutting edge technology, to give these poor saps a sense of hope. Everybody deserves a sense of hope, however misguided and doomed it may be in the case of M$-using peons.
  • Reply 42 of 122
    I thought this was a Mac fanboy's only forum. ;-)
  • Reply 43 of 122
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A test version released to attendees is described as pre-beta and will require at least one additional beta and customer responses before a final ship date, which Microsoft has estimated is most likely for early 2010.

Apple's Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is due in mid-2009.

One thing I'd wish Apple could do...would be to time their releases AFTER Microsoft's. That way MS can't start their photocopiers.
  • Reply 44 of 122
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    I'm not gonna pretend that it doesn't suck, but there are a few minor improvements in there relative to OSX -- I wouldn't mind the feature where mousing over an app icon lets me pick between all the windows of that icon.

I'm just saying, I hope Steve goes ahead and steals that one from Bill.
  • Reply 45 of 122
    g13g13 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Awesome, this will be a great OS for people too poor or unsophisticated to buy a Mac. It will have many of the same features, and give them the appealing illusion of cutting edge technology, to give these poor saps a sense of hope. Everybody deserves a sense of hope, however misguided and doomed it may be in the case of M$-using peons.

wow. you sound like a complete tool. let's never hang out.

don't know why Windows wants to chase the looks OSX so bad. OSX is a great interface but not the be all and end all of interfaces. I think Adobe have done a great job in doing their own interface for their software. be good if Windows could do something different rather than just emualting Apple
  • Reply 46 of 122
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I really don't know how Windows fanboys can look at themselves in the mirror and not puke. Do they really think they have a superior platform? It boggles the mind. Really. According to one colleague at work he has to spend at least one hour every day unfucking Windows just so his wife or son can use their computer.

unfucking. AWESOME wordage. My new signature!

Now I have a quick way to describe what I do for a job. And probably a lot of other folks. There's a lot of fucking in the world. And invariably, there are those who have to unfuck it.

And to defend the underdog, in this place anyway, Windows/MS have some good things. For instance, I hope Apple adds the ability to uninstall updates in 10.6 Snow Leopard. That's just one thing that springs to mind. I'd assume they could harness the power of Time Machine to accomplish it.
  • Reply 47 of 122
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Just wait for the system requirements to be published. You will probably need new computer to run it.
  • Reply 48 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Even IF it was as good-looking as OS X, as functional as OS X, as easy to use as OS X, none of which seem likely....

Is it going to be as stable and secure as OS X? Yeah, I didn't think so!

As I sit here and type this, in Leopard, I can tell you Vista x64 on this machine is more stable and less quirky.

And let's not forget who first lost the notebook challenge earlier this year. Yeah, that would be OSX.

I know apple fanboys really believe the marketing but it's simply not true. Vista is both fast, stable and secure. As the driver models have changed(and they needed to) it took alittle while to get some quality drivers out there for the hardware. But once that was done it's been solid. My system had quality drivers on day 1 though so it's always been fast and stable for me.

I do really enjoy OSX but c'mon, the uneducated Vista bashing has gotten old. As has insisting that microsoft has copied everything from apple. It goes both ways. I just wish apple copied alittle bit more.
  • Reply 49 of 122
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

"Pre-beta"?

Is that like an "alpha"?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! \
  • Reply 50 of 122
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

One thing I'd wish Apple could do...would be to time their releases AFTER Microsoft's. That way MS can't start their photocopiers.

What if it takes until 2014 for Microsoft to release this?

Do you want to wait that long for Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 51 of 122
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I hope Apple adds the ability to uninstall updates in 10.6 Snow Leopard. That's just one thing that springs to mind. I'd assume they could harness the power of Time Machine to accomplish it..

The fact that Microsoft Windows needs an "uninstall update" says a lot about just how bad the system conflicts with 3rd party applications, libraries and drivers.

That's not to say that all of OS X updates are always hunky-dory either, but very few have ever sent the system into complete turmoil to the point where you wanted to undo it. (In fact, I don't think I've ever had a problem with any of the system updates, but I know some have.) However, You are correct, you can set Time Machine to back up your entire system on a regular basis. If by chance you wanted to "undo" an update, you could restore your system to the state prior to the update (or installation of any software for that matter).
  • Reply 52 of 122
    hahahaha!!!

windows is starting to look more and more like a linux distro from years ago!!!

(and I can know, I've used linux for years, before I bought my macBook)

funny to see how now both mac osx and windows are taking tips and ideas from linux
  • Reply 53 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm not buying it. A can't believe they copied OS X and came out the other end with something that ugly. It's worse than Vista. Their decision makers have no taste.

I've nothing against Windows, but I think their software isn't great
  • Reply 54 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

As I sit here and type this, in Leopard, I can tell you Vista x64 on this machine is more stable and less quirky.

And let's not forget who first lost the notebook challenge earlier this year. Yeah, that would be OSX.

I know apple fanboys really believe the marketing but it's simply not true. Vista is both fast, stable and secure. As the driver models have changed(and they needed to) it took alittle while to get some quality drivers out there for the hardware. But once that was done it's been solid. My system had quality drivers on day 1 though so it's always been fast and stable for me.

I do really enjoy OSX but c'mon, the uneducated Vista bashing has gotten old. As has insisting that microsoft has copied everything from apple. It goes both ways. I just wish apple copied alittle bit more.

Well sure, Microsoft is so proud of Vista it's even dropping the name in its marketing.
  • Reply 55 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft also plans for a FileVault-like drive encryption system known as BitLocker.

BitLocker is already in Vista!
  • Reply 56 of 122
    http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/

Why Microsoft needs to waste so much shareholder money to develop Windows 7 if it is just a touch up of Vista. Just acquire the Stardock and Microsoft is done. Sad that the underlying driver model and architecture remains the same. Microsoft is trying to cheat the public by just changing the user interface at the skin deep level.

If Microsoft can guarantee that it is not possible for virus/malware to get in - then I would consider Microsoft Windows 7 has achieved what Tiger has achieved several years earlier.
  • Reply 57 of 122
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Ribbon is a good idea in concept, but i dont think it is that good in reality.

It is not bad, but not exceptionally good either. And i am sure it doesn't fit Paint at all..
  • Reply 58 of 122
    Quote:

This lie has been dealt with ad infinitum here. Let's not start that up again.

Quote:

By "stable" I assume you mean you have to hit ctl-alt-del every 10 minutes instead of every five? And by "secure" I assume you mean half-a-million Windows viruses vs. exactly zero OS X viruses?

Quote:

That makes one of you.

P. S.: Using the word "fanboy" just makes you look like an idiot.
  • Reply 59 of 122
    Quote:

You espouse such a high regard for educated discussion and yet you do not show it in your actions.

1. Obviously you at least on occasion don't read much deeper than headlines. This is fine, but don't pretend to be an expert of the subject thereafter.

It was NOT Mac OS X that failed the challenge earlier this year. It was Safari. The hacker exploited a bug in Safari. A separate Apple product, but as there exists plenty of alternatives - including the one I'm employing to yell at you, it is unfair and intellectually unjust to suggest it was Mac OS X's fault.

By that logic I should blame Windows if someone brings down a machine running Opera or Chrome through Opera or Chrome, or I should blame a Linux distribution if Firefox is brought down through Firefox. It's nonsense, pure nonsense.

* It is worth noting the same bug would have brought down the Windows version of Safari and thus Windows as well.

2. Fast, stable and secure are three things, I'm sure someone with such a high regard for education will now enjoy this opportunity to look up the word "both" and improve themselves further. I could have been fair and ignored this error, after all it is one of my more common ones as well and one must wonder how it matters at the end of the day, but I don't hold as high a regard of education apparently. I must be a hateful Mac fanatic.

3. It's nice that you've had such a wonderful experience with Vista, but the bashing here is far from uneducated. Plenty of us are tech guys, plenty of us know first hand how faulty Vista is. I will use Windows 7 long before most. Your experience is the exception and not the rule. Your experience is anecdotal and not applicable to the rest of the world.

Look, I'm happy to disagree with this imaginary harmonious group of Apple-only fanbois. Back in 2000 or 2001, I would have preferred Windows 2000 over Mac OS 9 or early builds of 10.0 any day of the week. Let's face it, Mac OS 9 locked up and 10.0 was incomplete, Windows 2000 was complete and reliable.

I'm a man who likes quality - I have no brand loyalty and when it comes right down to it, Vista doesn't have it. Office does, I won't use anything but Microsoft Office whether on a Windows box or a Mac, but Windows does not. You're either fooling yourself, something a disturbingly high number of the most intelligent are too capable of, or have just been too darn lucky - and it sounds like the latter, if you believe otherwise because the vast majority have not had your experience. Read up on it, there are forums, newspaper and magazine articles, news reports, etc. about these problems, and it isn't from a lack of people using the OS, the Mojave Experiment was no more than a marketing ploy.
  • Reply 60 of 122
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

Every review of Windows 7 Pre Beta has remarked how stable it is, and makes them think it will be ready in no time. So don't dilude yourself, Windows 7 will drop next year and be stable.

FYI: MS is using a new componentized development track for Win7 (btw, try to count any reasonable list of Windows versions and come up with the number 7!).

According to Paul Thurrot, no code is being included in the beta, err, pre-beta which is not considered finished and stable -- although a later finished and stable version may replace any given component.

So every beta release a) should run nearly as well as a finished product and b) will not include any planned features which aren't considered "stable and complete."

I've never dealt with OS X betas so don't know how Apple approaches this. Anyone know??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

in XP you can use Windows+D or the show desktop shortcut in the quick launch bar. I assume it will be similar.

Windows Key+M might also be of use to some of youse.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Even IF it was as good-looking as OS X, as functional as OS X, as easy to use as OS X, none of which seem likely....

Is it going to be as stable and secure as OS X? Yeah, I didn't think so!

Since it has to support leventy-seven hardware configs made by scores or hundreds of small and large vendors (hey! maybe that's where they got the "7") and umpteen legacy apps -- or at least pretend to (I got the Vista plug-in for WordPerfect and it seemed to be working OK -- until I tried to save a file. Not happening!) -- the answer is that there's no way it can be as stable given Apple's ability to custom tailor for many, many fewer configs and Apple's willingness to drop legacy support for HW and SW stuff more than a few gens back.

Which upsets the few people with really old stuff who still spend any money upgrading, but makes for a better experience going forward.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

unf**ing. AWESOME wordage. My new signature!

Now I have a quick way to describe what I do for a job. And probably a lot of other folks. There's a lot of f**ing in the world. And invariably, there are those who have to unf** it.

'scuse me, and hey mister or madame forum moderators -- I'm an alts art writer and I do use the "f word" -- sometimes quite freely, knowing my audience is going to be people attracted to alts arts and will be over 17, so I'm no blue nose and there's many places where it fits and works, but this is a general public tech info site and probably attracts many computing kids as young as 12 or even 10.

so I just find the usage here jarring and inappropriate. one can -- intelligently, stupidly, seriously, humorously, creatively, clichedly, cooly and/or emotionally -- compare OS's without it.

This is the AppleInsider tech forum, not the AppleInsider Lounge during happy hour....

My two cents.